Take Charge of Your Home Court

Guest blogger Robin Sax: Conventional wisdom holds that judges control the courtroom.After all, they wear the black robes, sit in elevated chairs behind imposing desks and are referred to as "your honor." But as experienced players in the system know, it's the prosecutor who has the real power.It's the prosecutor who files the cases, offers plea bargains and chooses which cases will go to a jury. The judge may have the gavel, but the DA has the ultimate leverage in seeing that justice is done.

woman cleaning house
Conventional wisdom also holds that parents are in control of the home. After all, they're the adults who sit at the ends of the table and have the power titles of "mom" or "dad." But if parents are really calling the shots, why do so many complain that their lives have been taken over by their children?

Just as prosecutors must ensure the safety of society by "owning the courtroom," parents must ensure the safety of their children by "owning the home." This is not a gray area, this is not a suggestion and this is not a maybe, a sometimes or a mostly. The bottom line is that families are not democracies; parents are the leaders, and kids are the followers. There can be no doubt as to who is in charge: It is the parent.

The parent is the adult and the holder of responsibility. Children, no matter what their ages, depend on their parents to be the bosses. They depend on that because they rely on the fact that their parents are the adults who will unconditionally act in their best interests. It may come as a surprise to some parents, but the truth is, children expect boundaries -- even when they resist them. They want their parents to be in charge.

Children need adults to help them develop the skills that will prepare them for life both within the home and outside it. Life at home offers just a small sampling of what the future will hold when children mature to adulthood. Parents must meet their obligations and serve as models for right action in order to be confident that their children will be able to face future challenges with maturity.

If you don't take hold of the reins of power in your home, you can rest assured that your child will. There are a number of telltale signs to look for when answering the "Who's really in charge?" question. Such as: Is your family room overflowing with toys? Is your hallway filled with kids' shoes and balls? Is your kitchen table cluttered with yesterday's homework assignments? Are you resigned to the fact that your house will only be clean when the kids are in college? Are weekends spent at birthday parties, on soccer fields or dragging the kids from one activity or playdate to the next? Was the last vacation you had without kids your long-ago honeymoon? Do you excuse yourself to go to the "potty" when you are at a business lunch? Do you find yourself listening to Barney when you are in the car alone? Are you embarrassed to get a drink of water in your own house because your son's in the kitchen making out with his girlfriend? Do you have a migraine because you actually bought your child that drum set? Are you walking a dog you hate? Is your word honored and respected? Does your "no" usually turn to a "yes"? And the questions go on, and on, and on ....

If you are mortified at the number of "yes" answers you had to the above questions, then it's time to recognize that your home is a microcosm of the rest of your child's life. Lessons learned on the home front will teach your child how to function in society. If your child doesn't experience the word "no" at home, how will he/she take it when hearing it from a teacher, a boss or a spouse?

In order for your children to live in the real world (i.e., the world of rules, expectations and consequences), they need to experience these boundaries as early in their lives as possible. From the time their children are toddlers, parents should instill in them certain behaviors that reflect adult wisdom and experience.

next: 7 Life Lessons about Weight Gain
mdmomma September 8, 2010, 10:02 AM

This is a great article. I think so many parents today would rather be friends with their kids than be their parents. Kids fair much better in “real” life when they understand how to live within the rules. Thank you.

Alison September 8, 2010, 1:04 PM

I agree with the concept of this article, kids need to learn boundaries and to understand their parents are in charge and have their own space, time, interests, ect. On the other hand, I don’t think I have lost control of my house because I have toys in the family room or shoes in the hallway. I think those are signs of children in a home and I will miss them someday. But, when I want these things to be put away or organized I expect them to do it the first time I ask. I also enjoy watching my kids on the soccer field and learning social skills from birthday parties but when 4 invitations come home for one weekend they have to make a choice!

Barbara Machen September 8, 2010, 1:55 PM

agree with this article. I think discipline (or being strict) is a form of love. It takes a lot more energy on the parents part to teach your child right from wrong, good manners and how to be a good person then to let them do (or have) whatever they want. Kids have plenty of friends they need parents to guide them and create a structured environment for them that offers security. I am all for being the CEO of my house!!

barb
www.jenandbarb.com

Florencio Benak March 17, 2011, 8:11 AM

This post seems to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you promote it? It offers a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to say is the most important thing.

dofollow bookmarking sites March 29, 2011, 1:35 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Erline Hammaker March 31, 2011, 12:31 AM

In the awesome design of things you get a B+ with regard to hard work. Exactly where you actually lost me was first on your particulars. As people say, details make or break the argument.. And that couldn’t be much more correct here. Having said that, permit me reveal to you just what did work. The text is definitely incredibly convincing and that is most likely why I am making an effort in order to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, whilst I can easily notice a jumps in reasoning you make, I am definitely not sure of how you appear to unite your details which produce the actual final result. For right now I shall subscribe to your position however trust in the foreseeable future you actually connect your facts much better.

Computer Repair March 31, 2011, 12:35 AM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to give something again and help others such as you helped me.

Tommy O. Horne March 31, 2011, 3:07 AM

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 7:46 AM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 11:42 AM

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

book of ra online March 31, 2011, 2:46 PM

Hello there, simply turned into alert to your weblog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate for those who proceed this in future. A lot of folks can be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

attract men April 1, 2011, 12:07 AM

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

chase online banking April 1, 2011, 6:00 PM

I will use your advice from now on. Jaap

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 3:17 AM

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

PRIVATE JET CHARTER SERVICE April 2, 2011, 8:27 AM

While I have to disagree on a little bit of the info, but I still really liked it. I look forward to looking at more of your work.

Elmer Whorton April 2, 2011, 2:04 PM

one; nine; one hundred

Pit Bike Graphics April 2, 2011, 3:31 PM

Awersome Post! I am so glad I fnd this. This is exctly what I was looking for. Thanks for Sharing. I’ll definately visit again! Dan

Carpet Cleaning April 3, 2011, 1:34 AM

Awersome Post! I am so glad I found this. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thks for Sharing. I’ll definately visit again! Coby

wedding destinations April 3, 2011, 6:46 PM

My wife will get angry if she hears this. versicherung vergleichen

Life Plus vitamins April 3, 2011, 8:12 PM

Mate. This website is amazing! How did you make it look this good !?