Teen Claims Nose Stud Expresses Religious Beliefs

Guest blogger Ronda Kaysen: Here's a new one: A North Carolina teenager sued her high school for violating her religious rights when they told her to take her nose stud out.

Ariana Iacono

Ariana Iacono, 14, claims to be a member of the Church of Body Modification and says that having jewelry in her nose is central to her religion. And here I thought Tea Party darling Christine O'Donnell was the only person proclaiming obscure religious affiliations!

If you're wondering if the "Church of Body Modification" is a legitimate church, you're not the only one. In fact, the second question on the Church'sFAQ webpage is, "Is the Church real?" The short answer is yes: The Church is recognized by the federal government as a tax-exempt nonprofit, just like the Catholic Church."Practicing body modification and engaging in body-manipulation rituals strengthens the bond between mind, body and soul," reads the website. "By doing so, we ensure that we live as spiritually complete and healthy individuals."

Iacono says she was abused as a child, and that the jewelry improves her self-esteem. "It kind of helps me look at myself in a better way," she told reporters. Her parents contacted the American Civil Liberties Union to help them with their case.

My question is, why is Iacono's school telling her she can't have a nose stud in the first place? Isn't that a decision the 14-year-old should make with her parents? After all, nose jewelry is legal. It's her body. Iacono's argument for keeping the stud seems like a bit of a stretch, but what would the school have done if she'd gotten a tattoo? They couldn't exactly have asked her to remove that!

next: First-Ever Plus-Sized Fashion Show!
Flirt January 12, 2011, 8:40 AM

Finde nette Flirts ab 50

tchat rencontre January 13, 2011, 1:08 PM

You made some respectable points there….

Singles January 16, 2011, 8:19 PM

Finde nette Singles ab 50

Selene Mangas January 22, 2011, 7:51 PM

I am at this time working on a brand new venture using the aim to join the fashion market in a single forum.

Buy rosetta stone January 22, 2011, 9:22 PM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

James Schramko January 23, 2011, 2:55 AM

Web marketer are nicely value the painstaking function of private branding. Best web marketers earn a excellent deal of cash although serving as their very own bosses and essentially doing whatever they please. Not surprisingly, that’s a lifestyle that most people aspire to, but a lot of falter and shed floor as a result of their uncertainty of how to get there. Their efforts don’t appear to be accomplishing a lot, and they wind up feeling overwhelmed and annoyed. Individual branding, if utilized diligently and purposefully, can produce the much-coveted status of leading web marketer. Ensure that you are spending shut interest to individual branding. Do not allow the competitors get ahead of you simply because your audience isn’t certain about who you might be. The fundamental dilemma is always that a lot of people-if not most-aren’t really sure what a brand really is. And also the straightforward truth is that you simply cannot brand your self if you do not possess a brand. 1 approach to consider a brand is the fact that it’s your status.

Chatten January 23, 2011, 8:06 PM

Finde nette Chats ab 50

hardest riddle in the world January 28, 2011, 2:22 AM

Be cautious if you drive or do one thing that calls for you to be awake and alert. Xanax without prescription

หาคู่ต่างชาติ February 2, 2011, 6:47 PM

Nice information, thank you for posting.

Spanish property February 17, 2011, 1:23 PM

May my mommy have to pay Speaking spanish gift of money taxes for my child house whenever my dad dead?My mother has your ex house vacation and also would like to realize if she will have to spend Spanish monetary gift tax on her house when my dad dies. His / her name is not about the escritura and he or she has owned or operated the idea for 20 a long time.

host services February 21, 2011, 2:18 AM

There was a recent news piece on Digg about this wasn’t there?

prince rich taste March 19, 2011, 4:42 AM

I would I had as meikle pepper as he counts himself worthy Mice dirt.