Teen Trend: Elf Ears

Listen up, moms: The next big teen trend might be "elf ears."

There was a time when the worst thing a teen could do was get her ears pierced -- especially if she did it multiple times (gasp!). That's so old school. Of course, kids from each generation must up the ante when it comes to shocking their parents.

The latest shocking trend? Ear sculpting! Why is this bizarre practice getting so popular? According to Dr. Lajos Nagy, a New York plastic surgeon, "Sculpted ears not only enhance the attractiveness of the face, but also improve the experience of listening to music."
(Maybe the doctor needs to buy himself some Bose speakers ....)

Whatever the reason kids are getting their ears doctored, the surgical procedure has been slowly catching on with the young and daring. Body modification artist Russ Foxx has been sculpting ears for years. According to Shaughnessy Keely, a rep from Foxx's piercing shop, The Fall, Foxx will only perform the operation on those 18 or older. "He'll do a few sessions and he'll sculpt your ear and make it pointy," says Keely.

Put more graphically, elf ears are created by slicing the top of the cartilage on the ear and then sewing it back together. Hmm ... suddenly "tramp stamps" aren't looking that bad.

As with tattoos, reversing the process isn't always that easy. "It wouldn't ever look exactly the same as it used to if reversed," Shaughnessy warns. "The folds would never be the same."

Moms, would your kid get an earful if he or she came home sporting elf ears?

Trends We Wish Would Go Away

next: Vampire Mom and Son 'Feed' Off Each Other
Renae  September 27, 2010, 8:20 PM

Absolutely ridiculous. Do these kids realize how goofy they’ll look in the future walking into a professional job interview with “elf” ears??? These kids are getting so dumb.

Amy September 28, 2010, 6:24 AM

SO DUMB! Regret will come sooner than later with this one.

Candi September 29, 2010, 11:38 AM

I had a friend whose little brother was born with pointed ears. If he can be a productive functioning member of society, why can’t they? At least they aren’t tattooing their face!

KMayer September 30, 2010, 3:05 PM

Ew. Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew.

CoinOperatedBoi October 6, 2010, 11:19 AM

Candi-exactly! No no according to these people your friend is a degenerate. We can’t be having anything outside of the norm. Of course then you’ll have the excuse…well they had no choice. And your point is?

kate October 7, 2010, 1:07 PM

This is such a crock. I’ve been a part of the body modification industry for nearly ten years, and the fact that this is being called a trend is hilarious. It is getting more popular yes, but it’s not the ‘cheerleader’ girls getting it. The amount of work and pain (most of them are done in shops with little to no anesthesia). Unless done in a medical office (where most doctors will laugh if you suggest it, no matter how much money you throw at them) where they have a licensed anesthesiologist only topical can be applied. Which believe me, doesn’t even count when the scalpel comes out. The article is for shock value and that’s about it. I rather my daughter get pointed ears or a split tongue then breast implants anyday! That’s something that I think is disgusting. All is a point of opinion, no? ce la vie

Berenice October 12, 2010, 8:29 AM

I have seen weird things in my days but this has to come in the top 3. Tattoos can be covered by clothing if a job doesn’t allow tattoos, piercings can be removed, but sculpting the ears, shifting the shape is something that can’t be undone, and if so I don’t think it will look good at all.

Kamagra Jelly

illy October 13, 2010, 9:16 AM

I think it looks beautiful.

Andy October 19, 2010, 8:43 AM

It sounds like there’s an epidemic of juveniles obtaining this surgery. After reading the article, I had horrific thoughts of 5 year-olds coming home from their first day of Kindergarten with their ears all pointy from some schoolyard surgeon. But then I noticed that there are no examples of kids getting this surgery in the article, and there are also no statistics provided about just how many doctors are offering this surgery, and how many operations they are performing on juveniles. So then I felt better.

Update: I just noticed that this article is tagged for “tweens” and “teens”, so my kindergarten analogy was inaccurate. So then I got worried that there are all these high school freshmen coming home from their first day of high school with bloody, pointed ears, because it is apparently a trend. I was so frightened by this image, that I thought I should read more of this blog, since it is providing me with information regarding shocking trends in our society and things that scare me. But then I noticed that there were still no statistics provided to justify the claims that this is a trend among teenagers and “tweens”, so I felt better.

Fyndy October 20, 2010, 1:23 AM

Oh whatever. At least they’re not taking hardcore drugs or turning into serial killers.
Since most body mod places require someone to be 18 and over, I don’t see what the fuss is over.
Talk to me when they turn into drug addicts and killers, then we’ll have an issue to report on.
Fak’s sake.

jenn October 29, 2010, 10:29 PM

=.= whats the point in doing something permanent when you can buy prostetics like i did, its a lot more fun and variety, don’t get your panties in a bunch about a generation of kids due to one person’s choice who is probably not in their teens anymore..

RhodaSavage33 November 1, 2010, 12:22 PM

The loan are very useful for guys, which are willing to organize their own company. In fact, that’s not very hard to get a college loan.

jij November 6, 2010, 5:00 PM

that is ugly to see form a teen

Frank November 10, 2010, 10:48 PM

The next big trend is not ‘elf ears’. One or two people who are into extreme body mods have done this. Your daughter is not going to go and have parts of her ear snipped off because 1. It’ll hurt like all get out 2. It’ll totally look gross for like a month 3. She can’t afford it 4. She almost certainly doesn’t know anyone who would actually do the surgery 5. Having elf ears would make her a total nerd and she’d spend the rest of her life being the butt of Star Trek jokes.

Calm down. Take a deep breath. Remember all the other ridiculous, sensationalist scares that have come up in the past.

sara November 19, 2010, 7:22 PM

ppl the put others down are stupid ..”now i think thats ugly” really mayb your ugly think about that ..beauty is on the inside ..grow up

Anonymous November 20, 2010, 8:38 AM

Wow that is sooo cool…UM NOT!

angel vs devil November 22, 2010, 6:20 AM

hi i’ve got real elf ears!!

Rinia November 23, 2010, 6:12 PM

I think it’s kinda neat to have elf ears, but definitely not something I’d want permanently. I’d be more embarrassed.

This is NOT going to be a trend, let me assure everyone. Not in the coming decades, at least. I know the class majority in schools would not be caught dead getting ears like that. They’d be mocked and bullied.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 4:29 AM

Interesting info. Thank you, I absolutely enjoy reading your post.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 3:21 PM

Very useful website. I appreciate your effort, finally a decent website with good information in it.