The Bad-Boy Mommy Friend

Guest blogger Sue Stein: When I first saw Archer's mommy, she was refreshingly midway through her second glazed donut at the PTA meeting. "My kind of gal," I thought, "a woman not afraid to eat sugar-glazed carbs in front of other women." Plus, she had a thick mane of red hair. I've always had a thing for redheads. I'm not being hair-ist; I'm just saying that whenever I'm talking to a natural-born redhead, about four minutes into the conversation, I'll think, "I love this woman! She is totally nuts -- just like me."

woman drinking wine
Anyway, then I found out our kids got along like "Phineas and Ferb" and that she lived five minutes by car from me. BLAMMO: new best friend! We immediately started making plans. Playdates, drop-offs ... it was a "You watch my kids; I'll watch yours" love fest. Our husbands even got along (not that we cared).

This summer, we had a standing "hump day" date on Wednesdays with the kids. They would eat, play and watch TV and we would talk. "I am so SICK of my kids today," she'd say, pouring her second glass of wine (at 12 noon). This observation would be followed by, "Archer, if you don't stop bothering your sister, I am going to lock you in your room forever!"

I'd smile weakly, my head unable to nod in agreement. In less than two months, my new friend's irreverence toward the unspoken rules of mommy decorum went from being fun (at meetings and parties) to being frightening (when you mixed in actual children). I understood that her intention was to try to control the chaos -- I have two boys; I get it -- but after a short time, I felt as eager to get away from her as I had initially been to be with her. Does this sound familiar? Because it sure felt familiar ... like what happened with almost every boyfriend I'd had between 20 and 30. (Except those guys didn't have kids who my kids were friends with.)

Our kids still play, although I worry every time they are at her house without me. And just like the bad boys who haunted me in my youth, I still think of her often. Especially when I eat a glazed donut.

next: 'You're Not Pregnant': Age 25 vs. Age 45
tabel calorii December 27, 2010, 4:42 PM

I have been searching the Web for this information and just wanted to thank you for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i download a version of this theme? – Thank you

Stephen Salinas December 29, 2010, 6:11 AM

I really enjoyed the blog. It is nice when you read something that is not only informative but entertaining. Outstanding.

dieta personalizata January 3, 2011, 8:11 PM

I have beeing trying to find the WWW for such information and i wanted to thank you for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

HostNine Coupon Code January 9, 2011, 12:43 PM

You are a very smart individual!

Unlock iPhone 3G January 12, 2011, 4:14 AM

I really enjoyed this post. It is nice when you find something that is not only informative but entertaining. Excellent.

Hostel Bridge Belgrade January 13, 2011, 7:19 PM

I cling on to listening to the news bulletin lecture about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the finest site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i get some?

Unlock iPhone 4G January 13, 2011, 7:23 PM

Just keep posting good content.

alfred angelo bridesmaid dresses January 15, 2011, 12:15 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

celebrity dark red brown hair colors January 15, 2011, 2:19 AM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

Jarred Bowerman February 6, 2011, 8:27 AM

I have been reading out many of your stories and i can claim pretty clever stuff. I will surely bookmark your website.

Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter.

Lena April 5, 2011, 8:17 PM

Perfectly pent content , Really enjoyed reading .

ślady kryminalistyczne April 9, 2011, 8:08 AM

Thanks very much for your interesting text. I have been looking for such content for a really long time. Not all your content is fully easy to understand to me, even though it is definitely interesting and worth reading.