The Science of Cougars

Dr. Wendy Walsh: If you're old enough to remember Dustin Hoffman as the young man being seduced by Anne Bancroft's Mrs. Robinson in the 1967 movie "The Graduate," then you're probably old enough to be a cougar now yourself. We've all heard about the female in our modern culture who is so quaintly referred to as the "cougar." The term is used to describe a woman in the fall or winter of her life who prefers to date -- and presumably have sex with -- men in the spring of their lives.

Courtney Cox
While the term implies predatory behavior (and some women have a problem with that), the trend has become so commonplace that it has even spawned a TV series ("Cougar Town"). Now researchers have started to focus on the phenomenon -- and they've uncovered some fascinating information about the biological and social forces that are making "Mrs. Robinsons" more prevalent.

A study published in the Journal of Health Psychology recently found that the old-fashioned view of menopause as a time of waning sexual energy isn't true for all women. It also found thatsocial and psychological factors arefar more influential on sexual behavior than hormonal changes are. In other words, even if a woman's sex-hormone levels decline with menopause, her sexual desire may not be affected, as long as she feels youthful and fit and lives in a permissive environment with opportunities to meet younger men (or older ones, for that matter). In fact, just before a woman hits full-on menopause, her sex drive may actually get a boost!

According to a study published in Personality and Individual Differences, psychologists at the University of Texas found that women aged 27 to 45 often have a heightened sex drive in response to their dwindling fertility. More women are waiting until their 30s and 40s to bear children, and the study found that those women are more willing to engage in a variety of sexual activities to capitalize on their remaining childbearing years. This so-called "reproduction expediting" often involves one-night stands and adventurous bedroom behavior -- including the seduction of younger men.

But before you run off and sow your wild oats with a much-younger guy, heed this warning: The greater the age gap between a wife and her husband (regardless of who's older), the lower her life expectancy. According to a new study from the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research in Rostock, Germany, having a much-older husband shortens a woman's life -- and having a much-younger one shortens it even more! The researchers' verdict: For a woman, the best choice is to marry a man of exactly the same age.

I'm sure this last study will be dismissed by cougars everywhere. And hey -- if you're going to go, there may be no better place to do it than in the arms of a young man!

next: School FAIL: Brooklyn School Trashes Books
Online Banking Security October 17, 2010, 11:28 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

Mandy Nases October 24, 2010, 1:22 PM

All I know for certain is that you need a change of direction.

Scott Birnberg October 24, 2010, 11:26 PM

Simply wanted to say I genuinely respect your work on this blog and the good quality blogposts you make. These type of post are generally what keeps me personally going through the day time. I found this post right after a good buddy of mine advised it to me. I do a little blogging personally and I am always pleased to observe others contributing good quality info to the online community. I am going to absolutely be following and also have book-marked your site to my twitter account for others to view.

Stephine Kenison October 25, 2010, 8:15 PM

I have been looking around on the net looking to get some ideas on the way to get our blog site coded, your current style and theme are wonderful. Did you actually code it yourself or did you get a coder to get it done for you?

Benito Gradwell October 26, 2010, 9:26 PM

My friend and I were just talking about this specific subject, she’s always attempting to prove me completely wrong! I am about to present her this post and additionally rub it in a little!

Eusebia Tromble October 27, 2010, 1:14 PM

Quite a few of the points associated with this blog post are great but had me personally asking, did they genuinely indicate that? One thing I have to mention is certainly your authoring abilities are very very good and I will certainly be coming back for any fresh blog post you come up with, you may well have a brand new fan. I saved your main website for personal reference.

Kathrine Stidham October 30, 2010, 7:11 PM

I’ve been relying more on that strategy lately.

Clarence Renze October 31, 2010, 2:31 AM

You may care to discover more pertaining to.

Roscoe Noon October 31, 2010, 10:40 AM

It is remarkable how chums must not comprehend an intense province like this.

Ouida Ahles November 2, 2010, 6:30 PM

Yes, you can take a look at the BlogEngine wiki to make a start if you want to use Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, VistaDB, or other databases. It can be more favored blog platform for blogengine.net in the future Smile

Ollie Battiest November 3, 2010, 9:49 AM

Through what medium do sharp people track down luxury meetings?

Chi Cannella November 3, 2010, 2:37 PM

This is the occasion to take a vacation.

High School Senior Pictures Indiana November 24, 2010, 11:26 PM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Matthew C. Kriner November 29, 2010, 9:02 AM

I’m wondering now if we can talk about your sites statistics - search volume, etc, I’m trying to sites I can buy adspace through - let me know if we can talk about pricing and whatnot. Cheers mate you’re doing a great job though.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:24 PM

What theme are you utilizing on your site ? I really like the layout. Thank you for the posting.

Jeffery Tiner December 2, 2010, 2:40 AM

This has been gut-wrenching to watch.

Sang Hych December 6, 2010, 3:44 AM

This is straight from a newscast on but we will be talking about how persons who know how can do that.

Best Party Themes For Girls December 9, 2010, 11:59 AM

No one who cannot rejoice in the discovery of his own mistakes deserves to be called a scholar.

Best Filter For Goldfish Aquariums December 15, 2010, 1:29 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

Mario Maez December 16, 2010, 6:00 PM

We can’t escape the fact this became guilty by association.