Gay Middle Schooler Kills Himself

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Nine days after a middle-school boy in California attempted suicide by hanging, he died. What's remarkable about this tragic story is that it reads like a script out of the 1960's. The boy, 13-year-old Seth Walsh (no relation, although his mother shares my first and last names), was reported to be gay and was being bullied at school. As in the old stories of homophobia and discrimination, the school administration in the small town of Tehachapi, California, did little to help young Seth.

Seth Walsh

According to The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a sexual-orientation law and public-policy think tank, there are an estimated 8.8 million gays and lesbians in the U.S.; some experts say it's more like one in twenty people. The body of evidence that proves sexual orientation has a genetic component grows every day. So why are some people STILL threatened by one of nature's precious variations? Why can't middle-school kids have more compassion for each other's differences?How could what happened to Seth have happened in this day and age -- and in progressive California, no less?

The amazing thing about the Walsh family is that their grief has not exploded into anger at this senseless death. Instead, they wish to celebrate Seth's life and are asking mourners attending the October 1st funeral to be tolerant. According to the Tehachapi News, Seth's grandmother, Judy Walsh, said, "We are trying to keep it more positive. We are hoping the community will develop more tolerance for different people."

Meanwhile, the town of Tehachapi's website reads, "Tehachapi is a vibrant community known for its quiet neighborhoods and bustling business districts. With many community groups, places to worship and cultural activities, we offer something for the entire family." Hmm ... the only thing the town does not seem to offer families is a respite from horrific intolerance.

May you rest in peace, Seth.

next: Should Parents Help with Homework?
pc repair April 1, 2011, 4:16 AM

I take pleasure in, cause I discovered exactly what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

program tv April 1, 2011, 5:09 AM

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

ECA Stack April 1, 2011, 7:31 AM

Guten Tag! Sie haben hier einen einmaligen Weblog! Ich bewundere speziell das Design sowie die Farben! Alles Gute! Bis bald, Bertha S. Sachser

wpolscemamymocneseo April 1, 2011, 8:01 AM

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

rankpay review April 1, 2011, 8:17 PM

¡Gran poste! Gracias por tardar la época de escribir algo que está realmente digno de la lectura. Encuentro demasiado a menudo el Info inútil y no algo que es realmente relevante. Gracias por su trabajo duro.

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 9:27 AM

Great story it is really. We’ve been seeking for this tips.

BUSINESS JET CHARTER April 2, 2011, 11:00 AM

Oh man! This site is awesome! How did you make it look like this !

remote computer repair April 2, 2011, 11:52 AM

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue along with your website in web explorer, may test this… IE still is the marketplace leader and a huge component to other folks will omit your wonderful writing due to this problem.

Motocross Graphic Kits April 2, 2011, 1:46 PM

Thanks for the article! After a lot of searching, this was the most hlpful article. I appreciate the time you took to write it. thnks! Steve

SolarPowerNow April 2, 2011, 6:24 PM

Your publishing is excellent and gives food for thought. I really hope that I’ll have more moments to read your articles. Regards. I hope that you simply publish new texts and invite you to greet me

Carpet Cleaning April 2, 2011, 9:30 PM

Very helpful Post! I am so glad I stumbled onto this. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. I’ll definately visit again! Ike

Bernardo Shuping April 2, 2011, 10:41 PM

seventy two; eight;

Porter Solari April 3, 2011, 9:30 AM

ninety one; ninety;

Life Plus vitamins April 3, 2011, 9:50 PM

This website has got lots of very helpful stuff on it. Cheers for helping me.

Homes Boise April 4, 2011, 12:24 AM

It is actually a great and helpful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Fatburner Tabletten April 4, 2011, 7:25 AM

Hi! Super Newsblog! Pillen

max generation April 4, 2011, 10:51 AM

Undeniably imagine that which you said. Your favourite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest factor to consider of. I say to you, I definitely get irked whilst other people think about worries that they just don’t recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top neatly as outlined out the entire thing without having side-effects , other folks can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

Replacement Windows April 4, 2011, 5:13 PM

When are you going to post again? You really inform a lot of people!

anatomy physiology practice April 4, 2011, 9:07 PM

Thank you for making the trustworthy attempt to discuss this. I think very sturdy approximately it and want to read more. If it’s OK, as you gain extra intensive knowledge, may you thoughts adding extra articles very similar to this one with additional information? It could be extremely helpful and useful for me and my friends.

Judy Dendy April 4, 2011, 10:34 PM