Behind the Scenes with Children's Book Author Bob Staake

Guest blogger Michelle Kemper Brownlow: As a children's book author and illustrator, I am always thrilled to pick the brain of others who are years ahead of me in their careers. Recently, I had the chance to chat with Bob Staake, renowned children's book author and illustrator -- and his passion was contagious! As a mom, I love knowing behind-the-scenes details about the books I read to my children. It's fascinating to find out what makes today's children's authors tick ....

The Donut Chef
Bob Staake has been freelance-illustrating since 1981 and has worked for Disney, the Children's Television Network, the Cartoon Network and many more household names. He's had dozens of children's books published and has designed, written and co-directed numerous episodes of "The Ren & Stimpy Show," "Dexter's Laboratory," "The Powerpuff Girls" and "Samurai Jack." I'm not sure that he has any free time, but luckily he did make the time to chat with me!

Michelle Kemper Brownlow: What was your favorite book as a kid?

Bob Staake: When I was a kid in L.A., I remember seeing a Golden Book with Popeye on the cover. In the story, he and Brutus dug a trench to the Atlantic Ocean. I was so completely mesmerized by the scenery and taken by that book, I decided that's what I wanted to do.

MB: How many books have you written?

BS: I've had 50 books published, but for every one book I've published, I have written eight that I realized sucked!

MB: Do you prefer books with a message or books that are just plain fun?

BS: When it comes down to specifics, it's really whatever it takes to make the story work. I look at it as a challenge. When I wrote "The Donut Chef," there was no message; it was a story about how competitive a small town gets when the Donut Chef's lines go out the door. New donut shops pop up, each trying to outdo the other. In the end, the chef sits back and decides to bake bagels instead. My editor at the time thought this ending was too sad, so I changed it. In the finished book, a young customer wants just a plain donut and has a hard time finding it. This is where the Donut Chef comes through with one of his original donuts. So, I allowed the editor to change my story, and it ended up with a universal message.

MB: These days, picture books are getting shorter and shorter. As writers, we are told to keep them less than 500 words, because parents are busy and have less and less time. The theory is they won't purchase longer books. What are your thoughts on this?

BS: My number-one thing about children's books is, never in history has a 6-year-old walked into a bookstore and laid down $16 for a book. My first line of defense is through the moms. My art and story need to appeal to them first. You gain their trust, and they pass it on to the kids. Kids are easy to win over. When a mom tells me, "My child loves your books," I am honored, because I know what today's distractions are for kids with gaming systems, TV, etc.

MB: Are you worried about the Nook/Kindle/iPhone trends and their threat for picture books becoming obsolete?

BS: I have a pragmatic point of view, so I don't think it affects me. I like adapting. If an editor said I could only do a book in yellow and green, I say, "Bring it on!" I look at the Kindle and iPhone being essentially the pop-up version of an ebook. Some books are so intricate in design they end up exploiting the potential of the paper; you can't get the same result with technology. On the flip side, with the animation for the iPhone, the opportunity for writers and illustrators is mindblowing. Tactile benefits of a book are wonderful, but everyone thought TV would destroy radio. We have a long history of fear of technology. We'll get through it. My bigger concern is doing what I can as a creator that doesn't impact negatively on the traditional publishing world. However, I believe if there ever is a lone survivor in publishing, it will be picture books.

Moms, keep an eye out for Bob's new books, "Look! A Book!," "Cars Galore," "Bugs Galore," "I'm a Monster Truck," "Shapes Around Town," "Letters About Town," "Colors in the City" and "Baby Burp #1."

next: 'Older' Moms Have No Regrets
Motocross Graphic Kits April 2, 2011, 12:17 PM

Awesome Post! I am so glad I stumbled onto this. This is just what I was looking for. Thks for the info. I’ll definately visit again! Jason

Solarpanelsforhome April 2, 2011, 6:35 PM

Hi, there - I have to admit, I’m impressed with your site. I have no trouble navigating through all the loss and information was super easy to gain access to. I discovered what I wanted in no time whatsoever. Pretty awesome. Would be thankful should you add forums or something like that, it would be an ideal method for your clients to have interaction. Congrats!

yacht rentals April 3, 2011, 5:51 PM

Have you thought about adding some differing opinions to your article? I think it will really enhance everyone’s understanding.

pond maintenance Boise April 3, 2011, 8:31 PM

Terrific work! That is the type of information that are supposed to be shared around the web. Disgrace on search engines for now not positioning this put up higher! Come on over and talk over with my site . Thanks =)

Life Plus vitamins April 3, 2011, 10:26 PM

Awesome, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this topic. Keep posting.

skype April 3, 2011, 11:22 PM

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Outstanding work!

Roselyn Butrick April 4, 2011, 3:47 AM

it’s _impossible_

how fast is my internet connection April 4, 2011, 10:48 PM

Sweet internet site , super style and design , rattling clean and utilize genial .

watch centurion April 5, 2011, 12:35 AM

Magnificent website. A lot of helpful info here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks on your effort!

bota förkylning info April 5, 2011, 11:34 AM

I gotta bookmark this internet site it seems invaluable invaluable

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 2:53 PM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

BMW performance April 5, 2011, 8:47 PM

@chels I know what you mean, its hard to find good help these days. People now days just don’t have the work ethic they used to have. I mean consider whoever wrote this post, they must have been working hard to write that good and it took a good bit of their time I am sure. I work with people who couldn’t write like this if they tried, and getting them to try is hard enough as it is.

cleaning April 5, 2011, 8:56 PM

¡Gran poste! Gracias por tardar la época de escribir algo que está realmente digno de la lectura. Encuentro demasiado a menudo el Info inútil y no algo que es realmente relevante. Gracias por su trabajo duro.

program tv April 6, 2011, 5:33 AM

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Solar Energy for home April 6, 2011, 10:30 AM

Bless you a great deal for providing this!

Weigh Loss April 6, 2011, 4:54 PM

I just like the valuable information you provide for your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check once more here regularly. I am moderately certain I will be informed many new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the next!

Life Plus international April 6, 2011, 5:42 PM

Amazing article, cheers, I will visit again later.

bota förkylning info April 6, 2011, 6:41 PM

Rattling informative and good bodily structure of written content , now that’s user genial (:.

BioBasics April 7, 2011, 2:15 AM

hiya im seriously feeling your post but the other links arent working. You might want make sure your site works in Opera cuz you know that browser can act up sometimes.

contemporary art paintings new york April 7, 2011, 6:30 AM

Thanks for posting about this, I would love to read more about this topic.