California Soon To Be Up in Smoke

Last week, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill that downgraded the possession of marijuana from a misdemeanor to an infraction. This means no jail time for an offense, just a fine of up to $100 -- a small price to pay for those who cannot live without the drug.

Smoking Marjuana
Although he opposes Proposition 19, which would legalize marijuana, Governor Schwarzenegger stated that California's budget constraints are stifling an already-strained legal system and an underfunded police force.

"In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket," said the Governor in a statement to the Los Angeles Times.

Moms, what do you think about this change in the law? Do you think more kids will be willing to smoke pot if they know the punishment has beenlessened?

next: LOL: Mom Attempts a Homemade Halloween Costume
mark October 12, 2010, 12:13 PM

We recently moved with out two boys, 6 and 8, from a state where firecrackers were illegal, and against mom and dad’s wishes, to a state where they are sold legally, but still against mom and dad’s wishes.
Last year we dealt with secret hoarding and use of illegal fireworks from mid-june up until the first day of school, where it ended. This year, there was only interest in the beginning of July, until july 5.

All I can say is that it worked for firecrackers.

Non user October 12, 2010, 12:52 PM

I don’t use drugs including pot. But I think I could deal easier with my son if he had a drug problem at home then through a glass plate during limited visiting hours at jail. Since the war on drugs started the jails have filled and drug use has gone way up not down. Obviously jailing drug users to the level of having the highest percentage of a population in jail over any other country hasn’t worked. Maybe a fine with parental notification will.

becky  October 12, 2010, 12:53 PM

I want the police to go after ppl who commit real crimes, not marijuana users. Kids will be smoking pot no matter what the legal standing is. It is up to parents to raise and keep an eye on there kids, not the police or state. I think parents should be responsable to supervise and let the police go after the ppl who are commiting robberies and violent offences.

Jennifer October 12, 2010, 2:24 PM

If this means they’ll catch more rapists and child molesters, then by all means, go for it!

Big Al October 12, 2010, 4:29 PM

I for one am very happy to see this development. So no matter what the November elections hold at least they have taken this step. I wish more states would make this step.

I still beleive that we need to legalize it and tax it just like Alcohol.

The Drug war in Mexico is not going well, we need to take away the funding and profit from these people, from what i read about 60% of Mexican Drug cartels money comes from pot.

Take their money away and give it to the police force to get real criminals and go after hard drugs.

Then you also do not make a “criminal” out of pot users. If pot is a gateway drug then it’s only because of the legal status of the drug.

People say, “oh you smoke pot, then your a druggie” sorry but a druggie is someone that steals, pawns and shoots up crank or coc or Heroin. That’s a druggie.

Aprilcot26 October 13, 2010, 11:40 AM

Personally, I think this is great. Instead of filling up the prisons with potheads, they can be filled with ACTUAL criminals. I agree that what we’ve been doing so far clearly isn’t working and I commend California for trying to fix it. We should just make it legal, tax it, and call it a day.

LoveMyMomTheMost October 13, 2010, 1:43 PM

If you want a mom’s perspective on this exact issue, check out this Op Ed by Hanna Dershowitz in the Orange County Register just yesterday:

She’s so right!!!

massage therapist November 9, 2010, 7:22 PM

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!

college grants January 15, 2011, 11:32 PM

Beneficial info and excellent design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and putting the time into the stuff you publish! Great work!

Preston Hartkopf March 17, 2011, 9:09 AM

I’d have to go along with with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Bo Manko March 29, 2011, 7:33 PM

You are a very capable person!

Brandy Fleites March 30, 2011, 5:41 AM

There is visibly a bunch to identify about this. I suppose you made various nice points in features also.

Claudia A. Ward April 5, 2011, 2:32 PM

Hi everyone, - stumbled upon this web page inadvertently whilst drifting across the web this afternoon, and pleased that I did! I like the page structure and tones, but I should point out that I’m having trouble when it loads. I’m making use of SeaMonkey 1 browser for mac, and the menu would not line up properly. i’m sure used the same layout on a customer’s internet site, but the menu seems all straight on mine. I suspect the mistake is with my browser & just maybe it is time to upgrade!

Sherry Honas April 6, 2011, 7:42 AM

You are a very capable person!

About Chicken Pox April 10, 2011, 8:22 AM

An interesting dialogue is worth comment. I feel that it’s best to write extra on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however generally persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

louis vuitton wallet May 7, 2011, 12:09 PM

Dude, you should be a writer. Your article is really interesting. You should do it for a living

louis vuitton Handbags May 9, 2011, 6:54 PM

What a great story. I am trully glad. Keep writing amigo