Fighting a Nasty Culprit: Yeast

Nearly all women will have a yeast infection at some time in their lives, yet more than half are unsure about how to treat one, says a new study by MONISTAT. Momlogic's own expert, Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz, helped with the survey.

woman in her underwear
"I see many women who have unsuccessfully tried to treat their yeast infections," says Dr. Gilberg-Lenz. "One of the biggest mistakes I see my patients make is using external symptom-relief creams to treat a yeast infection. That does not cure the infection; it only temporarily masks or relieves symptoms."

The study, which surveyed women ages 18 to 24, found that:

• More than a third (37 percent) of women incorrectly believe that treating the symptoms of a yeast infection is the same as curing the infection.
  • Thirty-eight percent mistakenly believe a yeast infection can only be cured by a doctor's prescription.
  • The majority of women (60 percent) have been unsure whether or not their symptoms were those of a yeast infection.
"The symptoms of a yeast infection vary greatly among individuals," says Dr. Gilberg-Lenz. "The classic symptoms -- thick, white and lumpy discharge; itching and burning -- do not appear for all women. The important sign is always vaginal discomfort that develops out of the blue. If you are unsure, especially if you've never had a yeast infection, check with your doctor to make sure your symptoms aren't actually the result of a sexually transmitted disease, bacterial infection or a combination of yeast and bacteria."

next: Notes from Bedrest: Baby Boy Wiseman Is Finally Here!
Pam October 17, 2010, 1:19 PM

This is the STUPIDEST article I’ve ever read….thanks for the statistics telling us how stupid we are about our bodies but not sharing the important information to educate us.

Pam October 18, 2010, 4:51 AM

Way to go Suze. I just read this again hoping to find what should have been the real meat of the article and…..nothing. I have two daughters (18 and 22) and one gets yeast infections often. Lost my job and no health insurance. I’m one of the 38% that ‘mistakenly’ believes one needs a doctor to fix the problem. Did Monistat pay you to write this useless piece so we’d, I don’t know, go to their website and sign up for something? How about sharing with your fellow females the knowledge that such large percentages of us are lacking?

Kristen October 18, 2010, 5:53 AM

Pam has your daughter tried a good probiotic from a health food store? You should also consider yogurt BUT it should have NO sugar in it, because sugar feeds yeast. If that doesn’t do it then you could consider cutting out all sugar and starches from your diet. I had to do this for 3 months when I was nursing and my baby had thrush(yeast infection in the mouth).

Pam October 18, 2010, 8:11 AM

Thanks, Karen! After learning that I DON’T need a doctor’s prescription to cure a yeast infection and see that the information isn’t forthcoming from ML’s “expert” I did a search on the internet and found this to share as well:

Pam October 18, 2010, 9:00 AM

I mean Kristen…sorry!

Robin October 18, 2010, 11:38 AM

Have to admit that most of Momlogic’s articles are getting to be more like this. Great tease for the headline and then a short tell-nothing article to follow. Very disappointing. Momlogic - please get back to good, informative writing before you lose us!

Ideas For A Science Fair Project November 25, 2010, 1:37 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

provillus reviews December 6, 2010, 10:45 AM

Your site is pretty slow to load in Firefox.

provillus reviews

Knee High Boots With Heels December 9, 2010, 9:02 AM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

live network listen to December 14, 2010, 9:36 PM

I’m keen on men and women who who post often, it’s actually hard to put together all sort of understanding any other way. Really good job.

free movies online video December 14, 2010, 10:41 PM

I enjoy people who who blog regularly, it’s really challenging to get that method of knowledge almost any means. Good work.

A Picture Of A Monkey December 18, 2010, 1:05 AM

Let me not be understood as saying that there are no bad laws, nor that grievances may not arise for the redress of which no legal provisions have been made. I mean to say no such thing. But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed.

Joyce Velez December 28, 2010, 4:33 PM

I keep listening to the news update speak about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i find some?

zamykanie naczynek białystok  January 14, 2011, 3:01 AM

Waiting for the new article.

deep brown hair color January 14, 2011, 11:31 PM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

dark red brown hair color 2 January 15, 2011, 2:33 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

long bob haircuts 2011 January 21, 2011, 11:48 PM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

bedroom window treatments January 22, 2011, 3:40 PM

Have to tell you, I certainly had great fun at this webblog. i find it to be refreshing and extremely informative. wish there were more websites like it. At any rate, I felt it was about time I let you know, I will put your site on my blogroll. Thanks once more for taking the time to put this up. I certainly loved every part of it.

Constantine February 17, 2011, 11:31 AM

i would say that this is an article without a point. Okay I see your point, you show the statistics but where are the practical suggestions? Here you can find some answers yeast infection treatment

orkiestry weselne February 19, 2011, 2:14 AM

Great article. Unfortunately it’s all ruined by your use of the horrendous phrase