Confession: I Ignored a Recall

Guest blogger Lissa Hurchalla: Heard about Fisher-Price recalling over 10 million toys? Me too. But fortunately, we don't own any of the offending playthings, so I can file that one under "no problemo." Not so our stroller. Yes, my husband and I are the once-proud owners of a Maclaren Volo, that stroller that got recalled last year for chopping off little kids' fingers. My baby was a month old, and I was still in a postpartum sleepless hormonal haze when I went to the website to fill out the recall form. Then I got to the part that asked me to fill out the VIN, with the helpful little diagram explaining how to locate it on your stroller. (Really? A stroller needs a vehicle identification number?!)

Ignored Recall
Doesn't seem like such a big deal now, but this was at a time when I could barely pour myself a bowl of cold cereal, never mind track down the stroller still packed away in the garage somewhere (our newborn being still too small for it) and then transcribe a long series of numbers from its underside to my laptop. I never finished filling it out.

I meant to. But life has a way of getting postponed when you have a baby. Besides, the only way anything bad would happen is if you tried to open or close the stroller with the kid in it. So duh, we wouldn't do that. I even heard that the stroller had gotten recalled in the U.S., litigious nation that we are, but not in the U.K., where Maclaren is headquartered, since they apparently didn't consider it a safety hazard for non-Americans. I became almost smug about my procrastination. I wasn't an alarmist mom! I was as rational as a European!

And then I found out that my husband's sister's daughter had, uh, gotten her finger chopped off by, um, this very same stroller model. Turns out the kid, then 2, had wanted to help Mommy open the stroller, put her finger in the hinge, and next thing you know (as my sister-in-law puts it), "a huge hunk of her finger was missing." One trip to the ER to get it sewn back on, followed by three weeks in a cast, and the little girl's fine now. But it never occurred to my sister-in-law to report the incident to Maclaren, and this was a full year before the recall. Who knows how many kids have been hurt the same way, but their parents just never came forward? (Maclaren claims there have only been 15 cases ....)

I still haven't ordered the part, but after hearing this story from my sister-in-law, I vowed to do so pronto -- till she told me she hasn't done it, either! "Now we know what to watch for," she says, with the trademark calm of a surgeon (her profession). "Just don't ever let the kid try to help you with the stroller."I like to think I'll still fill out the form. As soon as I get time.

Moms, what about you? Ever knowingly ignored a recall?

next: Is Your Household Help Legal?
Jilly October 6, 2010, 6:40 AM

I ignored it too! I would never even open it while a child was around for that matter! My child stays strapped in while I ready the stroller…my eyes are not on her while prepping to go and therefore she is safe still strapped in! The same goes for loading up..child into the seat and strapped in, first thing!! Anyplace near automobiles is no place for children to be unattended for even a second! Keep you r child strapped in until you are ready to transfer them to the stroller, shopping cart, etc…or ready to take their hand to safely escort them!
I never responded because there was no way her finger would ever be there!

Christina October 6, 2010, 9:42 AM

I pretty much ignored that one, too. Yeah, I got the covers since they were free, but I’ve never installed them. Why? Because 1) the boys (twins) are in the car when I set it up and break it down, and 2) I don’t let them roll it around like a toy once it’s been set up.

Anonymous October 6, 2010, 2:44 PM

In 2008 Icon opened it’s hiring policy to include outside sales representatives. This decision was based in part on an attempt to lower company expenses during tough economic times. Since that day, Icon’s revenue has increased by over 5,000 percent! That means our outside reps income has rose by that amount.

As a sucessful professional Icon would like to offer you a great opportunity to supplement your income with residual ongoing paychecks every week for doing what you already do. ICON ONLY EXCEPTS SELF MOTIVATED HARDWORKING INDIVIDUALS.

This is not a home based business scam as we do not require any money from you to join as an independent marketing consultant

take the time to consider this personal invitation and visit http://icontargetmarketing.cloudaccess.net/careers.html

Anonymous October 12, 2010, 12:12 PM

amazed they didn’t sue

Bronwyn Maultasch March 16, 2011, 9:22 PM

This page appears to recieve a good ammount of visitors. How do you promote it? It gives a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to post about is the most important factor.

do follow list of sites March 29, 2011, 1:26 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Dorsey Sumsion March 29, 2011, 4:41 PM

Very nice article and straight to the point. I am not sure if this is really the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers? Thanks :)

Patsy C. McNeill March 29, 2011, 7:47 PM

Carlos Arebela March 30, 2011, 7:00 AM

Keep working ,terrific job!

adjustable rate mortgage calculator March 30, 2011, 10:49 PM

Hey compañero, realmente tenido gusto este poste. Can’ t parece conseguirlo para dar formato a la derecha en Internet Explorer, se dobla todo para arriba, pero no trabaja muy bien en Firefox tan ninguna preocupación.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 3:30 AM

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?

Mildred U. Hutchinson March 31, 2011, 4:32 AM

Practical

computer repair services March 31, 2011, 11:02 AM

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to offer one thing again and help others like you helped me.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 11:34 AM

Great post over again. Thanks;)

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 6:02 PM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

online computer repair March 31, 2011, 6:19 PM

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help other users like its helped me. Good job.

pc repair March 31, 2011, 6:55 PM

Thanks , I’ve just been searching for information about this topic for a long time and yours is the greatest I have came upon till now. But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain in regards to the supply?

buy proactol April 1, 2011, 11:36 AM

It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

sears card April 1, 2011, 5:56 PM

I will use your advice from now on. Jaap

rankpay April 1, 2011, 8:17 PM

Grande alberino! Ringraziamenti per richiedere tempo scrivere qualcosa che sia realmente degno lettura. Trovo troppo spesso l’Info inutile e non qualcosa che sia realmente relativo. Ringraziamenti per i vostri duri lavori.