Divorce Dialogues: 'We Still Watch Each Other's Back'

Guest blogger Kate Meyers: Felice married a man 17 years her senior when she was 27. They had two children, lived in four countries and split up after twenty years of marriage. They have been apart for almost six years. Her son is now 18 and her daughter is 16.

couple talking
momlogic: Why did you get divorced?

Felice: I would mainly say that we just grew apart. There's a large age difference between us, and at 27, I was still figuring myself out. The amount of growth I had between 27 and my early 40s was huge compared to his growth, so what I walked into wasn't what ultimately was going to make me happy. Our common interests started to shift and our communication got worse. We traveled a lot in our marriage, and I think that kept us together longer and probably prolonged the inevitable.

ml: What was the hardest thing about divorcing?

F: Different things. Originally, it was the sense of failure. I came from a divorced family, and I promised myself that I wasn't going to let that happen. The other hardest thing was my kids, and making sure things with them were OK. They knew things weren't going well, so although they had a sense of relief, I felt a sense of disappointment for them. Now that we've been apart for a while, I would say that raising my kids on my own -- my ex lives in Asia -- and the financial piece have been very tough. I was used to a certain lifestyle, and I had to get used to not having that and getting back into the workforce.

ml: Did your ex-husband ever split the parenting with you?

F: Never. I have always had the kids. They would have a sleepover with him when he came to town, or they would see him when it worked for everybody. He traveled for weeks at a time for long periods of time. Now they go to visit him in Asia three weeks, and he comes here for a few weeks a few times a year. When he comes here, he stays with us. In the last year, he has seen them about two months total.

ml: Based on your experience, do you haveany advice thatwould help other couples going through something similar?

F: In my case, the best thing is that he and I are friends, and we value the importance of the sense of family even though we're not a family. We both still watch each other's back. And I think that that's comforting for our kids, despite the fact that it didn't work out. They know that at the end of the day, we're always here for each other. When the kids need a talking to, he will help me. We have our bumpy moments, but we push through it.

ml: What's the best thing to come out of the divorce?

F: That's a tough one. I guess I really learned a lot about myself and what it feels like to be independent and what that looks like and how to move through adversity and grow through hard times. Learning to be alone and how to feel comfortable that way. That was a real eye-opener. I feel like I deserve happiness, and when I find the person who gets me and sees me for who I am, it will have been worth it. At the moment, it feels lonely and sometimes really challenging, but I wouldn't change it.

next: We Love 'Bedtimes Are for Suckers'
Life Plus vitamins April 3, 2011, 9:46 PM

How do you make a site look this sick!? Email me if you can and share your wisdom. !

bugatti veyron price April 3, 2011, 11:14 PM

Rattling clear site, regards for this post.

SolarPanelsForHome April 4, 2011, 3:46 AM

Hey this is a great looking site, is wordpress? Forgive me for the foolish question - but when so, what theme is this? Thanks! :-)

rankpay promo code April 4, 2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks for an idea, you sparked at idea from a angle I hadn’t given thoguht to yet. Now lets see if I can do something with it.

försäkring till bilen April 4, 2011, 2:34 PM

Rattling nice style and great written content , practically nothing else we require : D.

Branden Krach April 4, 2011, 5:49 PM

seventy six; two hundred

SolarPanelsAtHome April 4, 2011, 8:33 PM

More often than not I really tend not to create comments on blogs, however I will have to state that this particular post definitely compelled me to do so. Genuinely exceptional article.

watch centurion April 5, 2011, 12:06 AM

I am not certain where you’re getting your information, however great topic. I must spend some time studying much more or working out more. Thank you for wonderful info I used to be looking for this info for my mission.

handmade silver jewellery uk April 5, 2011, 1:13 AM

Just right issues?I would observe that as any person who in reality doesn’t write on blogs so much (if truth be told, this can be my first post), I don’t suppose the time period ‘lurker’ is very turning into to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in the slightest degree , but in all probability the blogosphere may come up with a better, non-creepy identify for the 90% of us that experience studying the content .

How Can I Run Faster April 5, 2011, 6:30 AM

Thanks, I bookmarked your site. :)

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 8:28 AM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

eve online April 5, 2011, 2:49 PM

You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

BMW performance April 5, 2011, 9:03 PM

Merci!

carpet cleaners April 5, 2011, 9:11 PM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was listed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non related search. :)

ECA Stack Fatburner Yohimbe April 6, 2011, 4:28 AM

Moin! Interessanter Weblog! Supplements Fatburner Ergänzungen sind behilflich beim gesunden Abbau von Depotfett! Herzlichen Dank!

program tv April 6, 2011, 5:48 AM

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely great. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful site.

Elton Delson April 6, 2011, 8:40 AM

As a Newbie, I am continuously searching online for articles that can aid me. Thank you

Cheap solar panels April 6, 2011, 10:19 AM

Hi there can I reference some of the insight seen in this entry if I reference you with a link back to your website?

notebooki April 6, 2011, 5:16 PM

I think this is among the most vital information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Fitness April 6, 2011, 5:51 PM

I’ve recently started a website, the info you provide on this website has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.