Ernie + Bert, For REALS?

momlogic's Vivian: "Sesame Street" has gone gay-friendly, and dammit -- I love it!

Ernie and Bert

The New York Daily News says that a certain "ambiguous" tweet may confirm the long-standing rumor that Ernie and Bert mean far more to each other than just Muppet roomies.

The Los Angeles Times reprinted this cheeky tweet from Bert that referenced the recent "A-Team" remake (largely inspired by an impending "Sesame Street" parody of the film, on deck for November): "Ever notice how similar my hair is to Mr. T's? The only difference is mine is a little more 'mo,' a little less 'hawk.'"

DAY-um! That's ... OUT.

As "mo" is a commonly used term for "homosexual," bloggers in the gay community were psyched to be acknowledged by the 41-year-old show. And, as the L.A. Times article so accurately pointed out, GLBT stars like Wanda Sykes and Neil Patrick Harris (as "the Shoe Fairy" no less!) have been heavily featured this season.

However, Ellen Lewis, Sesame Workshop's VP of corporate communications, told the L.A. Times that their efforts to appeal to a gay audience are not in the least deliberate. She said, "We've always reached out to a variety of actors and athletes and celebrities to appear on the show, and our programming has always appealed to adults as much as children. Honestly, the idea that anyone would interpret [this season] that way never crossed our minds."

Really? Even with the "Shoe Fairy" reference?

Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), told the L.A. Times that this brand of inclusion reflects the times, as well as "Sesame Street's" tolerant credo: "As more and more loving and committed gay and lesbian couples begin families, it's important that their children see representations of their families on their favorite show," he said. "'Sesame Street' has a long history of teaching children about diversity and acceptance, and I don't expect that our community will be left out of that education."

Now, I'm not SERIOUSLY planning on buying Ernie and Bert some Jonathan Adler pottery in congrats, but as a daily observer of what happens on the beloved "Street," I have noticed a vast increase in veiled references to things GLBT. And I think it's totally awesome and about time mainstream children's programming became inclusive of same-sex-parent families.

What do you guys think? Have you noticed?

next: Tony Hawk: SHRED ... Even Better Than RIDE!
Carly October 27, 2010, 6:43 AM

Holy crap. I’ve read your articles before and am always left shaking my head, but this time you’ve outdone yourself. I…I don’t even know where to begin with this one. Let’s just say, you and I disagree.

Vivian October 27, 2010, 7:21 AM

Hey, that’s all good. I didn’t write the articles pointing this out - the LA Times and NY Daily News did. So I’m reiterating their articles and stating my own opinion.

I believe gay people are entitled to the same rights we are and am proud to say so. Even if we differ in perspective, considering someone else’s views is never a bad thing and is always a little eye opening in some way.

KMayer October 27, 2010, 9:38 AM

They’ve been sleeping together separately for 41 years… whaddja think they were? Married?

HipMamab October 27, 2010, 9:43 AM

I didn’t notice, but IMHO that’s even better! :) So sesame!

supnatmom October 27, 2010, 10:13 AM

I’ve notice…on the tv portion of the Elmo’s World segment the hostess (who is not exactly a girly girl) was singing about families and they showed one with 2 Moms.
I don’t think that the people at Sesame Street are going to “come out” and say they have an agenda but the producers and writers have opinions and likes and dislikes and this will appear in the writing i.e Sarah Jessica looking for “Big”, what was that about??

Ivan October 28, 2010, 3:12 PM

I knew they were from the day I saw my nephew’s Sesame Street coloring. There they were, Bert and Ernie, in the shower together.

Sam October 29, 2010, 6:48 AM

My son was just watching Sesame Street yesterday and told me that Ernie and Bert must be brothers. That works for me!

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:34 PM

How is it that just anybody can write a blog and get as popular as this? Its not like youve said anything incredibly impressive —more like youve painted a pretty picture over an issue that you know nothing about! I dont want to sound mean, here. But do you really think that you can get away with adding some pretty pictures and not really say anything?

tudung bidang 60 December 17, 2010, 7:16 AM

Thanks a ton for this suggestions great analysis; this could be the kind of step that retains me although out the day. I’ve permanently long been wanting close to your web-site best suited immediately after I viewed about these from a close good friend and was happy when I was inside a placement to discover it correct after wanting out for a while. Becoming a seasoned blogger, I’m grateful to unearth out other folks taking gumption and including in the direction of the neighborhood. I just desired to overview to display my understanding in your post as its pretty pushing, and lots of web writers usually do not get the credit score they really should have. I’m positive I’ll be back again and will ship out a number of my acquaintances.

My Little Pony December 17, 2010, 9:02 AM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but I’m glad I visited. I will post a link to this site on my blog. I believe my visitors will find that very useful.

English Premier League Video Highlight December 17, 2010, 8:23 PM

I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of fantastic information, saved to fav :.

Baby Store December 18, 2010, 1:03 AM

We just couldnt leave your website before telling you that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new posts

Braun Shaver Reviews December 18, 2010, 2:52 AM

I gotta bookmark this website it seems invaluable invaluable

Psychology Bachelors Info December 18, 2010, 3:57 AM

you got a very superb website, Sword lily I detected it through yahoo.

Esther December 18, 2010, 9:16 PM

Thanks for helping out, wonderful info .

Muzik Shqip 2011 December 19, 2010, 12:32 PM

Thank you very much for this post. I liked reading think. Wish to see more from you. Greetings

Kanesha Sakaguchi December 25, 2010, 8:16 PM

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Youve got a design here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. Great job, indeed.

Meaghan Fath December 26, 2010, 8:43 PM

Lovely just what I was looking for.

stop smoking hypnosis December 28, 2010, 10:54 AM

Hello there, - came across this blog by accident whilst roaming round the net this morning, and glad that I did! I do like the layout and tones, but I really should point out that I’m having issues when it loads. I’m using OmniWeb45 web browser for mac, and the header would not line up nicely. i am sure I have applied an equivalent design on a customer’s website, but the menu seems Ok on mine. I suspect the fault is at this end & I’m guessing it’s time to swap!

Matthew King December 28, 2010, 7:40 PM

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the subject and found most guys will go along with with your website.