Halloween Costumes Are Cruel to Babies

Is dressing tiny, defenseless babies in costumes cruel and unusual punishment? Andrea of "Bedtimes Are for Suckers" thinks so.

whoppiekid.jpg

Andrea of "Bedtimes Are for Suckers": The thought of cruelty towards an innocent child is something mothers can't even get their heads around. Babies are helpless, defenseless, adorable creatures. Yet every Halloween, hapless parents force infants to wear ridiculous costumes for their own amusement.

Several years ago, Martha Stewart featured a segment showcasing multiple babies dressed as a Thanksgiving dinner -- including a turkey and various pies. Each entree looked barely 4 or 5 months old. One little baby was fast asleep in her "apple pie" getup when Martha, unfazed, exclaimed, "She just loves her costume!!" Actually, I believe that kid was exercising her first defense mechanism: "Maybe this is all a terrible dream, and if I go to sleep, it will all just go away -- and this woman's voice is grating on my last nerve."

Most of my friends did and do dress up their infants in Halloween costumes, and were appalled that I didn't -- as if I'm some sort of holiday killjoy because I didn't bend my baby into a formfitting pea-pod number just for my own selfish photo op. When the photos inevitably show up in my e-mail, I always feel sorry for the babies. They usually look so beaten down or pissed off or both.

But hey, if a baby ASKS to be in a costume, it's totally different. If your 2-month-old says, "Please, Mom, I'd like to be shoved into a felt taco shell for Halloween!" then by all means go for it. (BTW, if your newborn is talking to you, your kid's a raving genius and you can ditch Halloween altogether -- and immediately get on the talk-show circuit.)

I made a deal with my baby: Until she understood exactly what a costume was and requested to be in one, I would never force her into playing dress-up. My daughter is now almost 4 and she WANTS to be a princess for Halloween -- and by gum, that's what she's going to be. It's her choice, and I honor it.

anne-geddes.jpg

Whose idea was this Halloween trend of dressing up kids fresh from the womb? The blame, I surmise, falls upon Anne Geddes, the Queen of Cruelty to Babies. For years, Ms. Geddes has been using babies for fun and tons of profit. Geddes' website has the curious tagline "Protect, Nurture and Love." Really? How is it nurturing to shove a newborn into a fake flowerpot and stick a cloth flower on her head? How is it any different from dressing up a senile grandparent as a clown without their consent? Babies can't answer for themselves, and we didn't bring them into the world as dress-up dolls. At least I didn't.

Want a truly adorable costume for a baby? Dress them up as ... a baby. It's easy and soooooo cheap. Plus, there's nothing cuter.

Read more from Andrea at "Bedtimes Are for Suckers"

next: Must-See Tonight: 'School Pride' on NBC
Kris December 15, 2010, 9:04 AM

How did this “writer” get on the internet? Oh wait, any jack*ss can do that now.

Laticia Mendez February 6, 2011, 8:31 AM

Keep functioning ,fantastic job!

Harold Bizcassa February 20, 2011, 5:27 PM

Hello.This post was really interesting, especially since I was looking for thoughts on this topic last week.

japan chat February 25, 2011, 4:52 PM

After reading this I believed it was extremely enlightening. I actually appreciate you bothering and effort to place this short article together. Again I discover myself wasting way too much time both reading and also posting comments. Although so what, it absolutely was still significant!

Potenzmittel February 25, 2011, 6:55 PM

Is this a weblog? Where did you get the actual theme coming from?

Bernice Dothard February 25, 2011, 7:58 PM

Say thanks a lot for your time to have put these things together on this site. Josh and i also very much prized your knowledge through the articles about certain things. I recognize that you have quite a few demands on your timetable so the fact that an individual like you took as much time as you did to steer people really like us by this article is actually highly treasured.

Otto Owen February 27, 2011, 1:08 AM

I enjoy you taking the time to publish this publish. It continues to be really valuable to me in fact. Value it.

program tv February 27, 2011, 5:02 AM

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

program tv February 27, 2011, 8:55 AM

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

guitar tutorial February 28, 2011, 11:02 AM

I definitely didn’t understand that. Learnt some thing new today! Thanks for that.

buty February 28, 2011, 11:15 AM

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Goji Beeren February 28, 2011, 11:24 AM

I just finished mine and i also was looking for a few design suggestions and you afflicted me with a few.

StarCraft 2 Guide February 28, 2011, 7:29 PM

I’m having a small problem. I cannot subscribe to your rss feed for some reason. I’m using google reader by the way.

ekstraklasa March 1, 2011, 1:24 AM

I think this is one of the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

hearing loss in the elderly March 1, 2011, 1:04 PM

I am continuously searching online for tips that can aid me. Thanks!

StarCraft 2 Guide March 3, 2011, 7:24 AM

Thank you for being the coach on this issue. I enjoyed your own article a lot and most of all appreciated how you really handled the aspect I regarded as controversial. You’re always incredibly kind to readers much like me and assist me in my living. Thank you.

Aquarium einrichten March 4, 2011, 4:57 AM

Helpful site, even though I would want to see a bit more media!

homepage March 4, 2011, 7:45 AM

When I start your Feed it seems to be a lot of garbage, is the issue on my side?

What women want March 5, 2011, 1:20 AM

Undeniably imagine that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be at the internet the simplest factor to understand of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed even as other people consider concerns that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest neatly as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , folks can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

Lissa Phorng March 5, 2011, 5:37 AM

I surely did not know that. Learnt a thing new today! Thanks for that.