Halloween on the Cheap

Guest blogger Ronda Kaysen: Somehow Halloween has become one of those expensive holidays. Americans are about to pony up nearly $6 billion on costumes, candy and parties this year, according to the National Retail Federation. That comes to roughly $66 a person. But there are ways to keep the price tag down -- after all, Halloween shouldn't break the bank!

Ghost costume

"People are looking at how we can more with our children, how we can make the moments that we have together really special," says Stephanie Martin, a spokesperson for Avery Denison, which sells Halloween decals.

Momlogic has come up with some ways to make Halloween special without dipping into the kids' college fund:

Costume Swap
Kids outgrow their costumes long before they wear them out, so find out if there's a costume swap going on in your neighborhood, and work out a trade. If a swap isn't already planned, organize one yourself through your local parents' board, daycare, neighborhood association, church or school.

Decal Deals
Transform a regular brown paper bag into an awesome Halloween trick-or-treat bag with spooky decals. If the kids are too little to carve their own pumpkins, they can decorate a few with sticker decals. If you're planning a party, you can turn regular magnets into Halloween party favors with a spiffy decal.Avery.com has a whole section dedicated to fabulous -- and truly affordable -- Halloween decals that you can affix to anything from pumpkins and gourds to a baby's onesie.

Daring Decorations
Get creative with decorations, both indoors and out. Alison Deyette, a shopping expert for TheFind.com, suggests making bats out of mini pumpkins. First, paint eyes on the pumpkins with black and white paint. Then use craft foam to design wings and ears. For outdoor decorations, choose a theme, like spiders, and stick to it. Stage small and medium plastic spiders around the front door, along the outdoor stair railings and around any columns or beams. "For an added touch, have the path of creepy crawlers lead to one large inflatable spider and stretch gauzy 'spiderwebs' from a craft store over bushes," she suggests.

Above all, have fun. Halloween should be spooky, but not for your pocketbook!

next: Tweens Having Boyfriends
Hallowheeeeee! October 19, 2010, 11:58 AM

Aside from the costume swap (a good idea) how are these ideas for making Halloween less expensive?

CheapMom October 19, 2010, 7:23 PM

I guess they’re money savers if you usually spend a lot on high-priced decorations, costumes, trinkets & candy. Last year, we made a tin man costume for our (then) 3-yr-old mostly out of big silver gift bags from the dollar store. This year, we’re pooling candy resources (& sharing trick-or-treat duties) with our apt neighbors. So… depends on your perspective, I suppose.

Discount Vertical Blinds January 15, 2011, 8:16 PM

Well this kind of post is actually worth searching for, great information for visitors and absolutely demonstrates quality writing. Its terrific to have these types of posts around to keep the information flow. Helping persons who truly enjoy this, great work! Thanks once more for sharing this online. I certainly liked every bit of it.

Rhonda I. Kirkland March 25, 2011, 8:17 AM

Intriguing

dofollow list gov March 29, 2011, 1:00 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Alan Mcglothlin March 29, 2011, 3:35 PM

Hello. magnificent job. I did not expect this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!

Paz Mikrot March 30, 2011, 2:53 PM

Greetings! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. With thanks!

mortgage qualification calculator March 30, 2011, 10:49 PM

These tips are so true

Victor O. Rodgers March 31, 2011, 4:40 AM

Valuable

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 5:40 AM

Outstanding info it is really. Friend on mine has been searching for this content.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 11:14 AM

I think this is among the most important information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The site style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 2:51 PM

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 5:03 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

program tv April 1, 2011, 3:35 AM

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

appendicitis April 1, 2011, 5:56 PM

Well I found this on Digg, and I like it so I dugg it!

Homesolar April 1, 2011, 10:29 PM

Your current publishing is outstanding and provides food for thought. I hope that I’ll have more time and energy to go through your content. Regards. I wish that you simply publish new texts and welcome for you to greet me

Pit Bike Graphics April 2, 2011, 8:41 AM

Great Post! I am so glad I found this. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. I’ll definately visit again! Jer

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 9:17 AM

I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

McRae April 2, 2011, 9:32 AM

Thanks

Marcia Luoto April 2, 2011, 9:34 AM

are watching your weight.