Halloween Safety for Kids and Grownups

Safety expert Pattie Fitzgerald of Safely Ever After has some Halloween safety tips every mom should read.

kids trick or treating

Trick-or-treating is one of the great American traditions, and despite media scares, we can still enjoy a safe night out celebrating the Great Pumpkin. Maybe you'll be accompanying your hobgoblins door-to-door this year, or perhaps they're venturing out on their own, trick-or-treating with friends. With a little common sense and some savvy safety precautions, there is no trick to enjoying a safe and fun Halloween. So relax, have fun, and follow these tips.

1. Plan your route ahead of time and check your state's Megan's Law Sex Offender registry. If there is an offender living in your neighborhood, be sure to skip that house or tell your child and their friends not to ring that doorbell. If they ask why, let them know the person who lives there is "not a safe grownup."

2. Children under 12 should be accompanied by a responsible adult.

3. Teens should trick-or-treat with at least one or two other friends -- never alone.

4. If a child gets lost or feels scared or threatened for any reason, they should ask a MOM WITH KIDS for help.

5. No child or teenager should ever enter the home of someone they don't know. Accept all treats at the doorway only.

6. Be very wary of any stranger who tries to accompany you as you trick-or-treat. If kids are on their own, they should say NO and get away from that person quickly.

7. Tell kids to stay in the open: Don't take shortcuts through alleys or unlit backyards.

8. Kids on their own should never get into a car with anyone ... unless they have already gotten permission from their parents ahead of time.

9. Visit only houses that are well lit.

10. Carry a flashlight, a watch and a fully charged cell phone. (Make sure kids on their own do so as well.)

11. All kids should have some form of identification with them, even if it's just a slip of paper with their name, address and phone number pinned inside their costume.

12. If older kids want to change their plans, they must CHECK IN with a parent first. (That cell phone sure comes in handy!)

13. Set a firm time limit on how long kids can be out on their own.

14. All treats must be inspected by a parent first. Do not eat any unwrapped or partially wrapped treats.

15. Wear brightly colored clothes or use some reflective tape on your costume or bag.

16. Openly discuss
appropriate and inappropriate behavior at Halloween.

next: The Scariest Homes in America
computer repair April 1, 2011, 4:13 PM

It’s actually a cool and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

wamu cards April 1, 2011, 6:00 PM

Interesting , how would I use this?

rankpay promo code April 1, 2011, 8:17 PM

I couldn’t resist commenting. :)

remote computer repair April 2, 2011, 4:21 AM

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest factor to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked at the same time as other people think about concerns that they just do not know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and also outlined out the entire thing without having side-effects , other people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank you

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 8:38 AM

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

JET AIRCRAFT CHARTER April 2, 2011, 11:55 AM

There are some interesting points therein article but I dont know if I see all of them eye to centre . There is some validness but I will take hold legal opinion until I look into it further. Good clause, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner likewise.

Margarito Sixt April 2, 2011, 6:45 PM

count, little did we know all

satellite direct reviews April 2, 2011, 11:54 PM

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your site in internet explorer, could check this… IE nonetheless is the market leader and a big section of people will miss your fantastic writing because of this problem.

Cleaning Utah Carpet April 3, 2011, 12:37 AM

Very Nice! thnks so much for Posting the info. I searched for a long time and found a ton of bad information, before I found this. Thanks! Ike

Clint Weaver April 3, 2011, 6:36 AM

fifty three; eighty nine; two

life plus products April 3, 2011, 10:07 PM

I’m getting a javascript error, is anyone else?

Boise Home Maintenance April 4, 2011, 1:18 AM

I believe that is among the such a lot significant info for me. And i am glad studying your article. However should statement on some general issues, The website style is great, the articles is in point of fact nice : D. Good process, cheers

rankpay promo code April 4, 2011, 11:50 AM

With all the doggone snow we have gotten as of late I am stuck inside , fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do. :)

Arturo Brownson April 4, 2011, 7:40 PM

state censorship. Do you care?

Prata med killar info April 4, 2011, 11:29 PM

I don’t normally comment but I gotta say regards for the post on this amazing one : D.

Silver Jewellery Wholesale April 5, 2011, 1:00 AM

I believe that may be a captivating point, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my considering cap. Now and again I get so much in a rut that I simply really feel like a record.

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 12:58 PM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

BMW news April 5, 2011, 9:08 PM

I think that is an interesting point, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my thinking cap. Sometimes I get so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.

carpet cleaning dc April 5, 2011, 9:15 PM

Interesting, I am curious what the statistics are on your first point there…

Concrete Sealer April 6, 2011, 1:43 PM

Attractive element of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually loved account your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds or even I success you get entry to consistently rapidly.