Have Kids, Will Travel

Remember when all you needed for a vacation with your hubby was a bikini and a change of clothes? Well, let's face it: Those days are over. Now you're more concerned with kiddie pools than swim-up bars. But that doesn't mean your traveling days are over -- or that you can't continue to do it in style.

family vacation
A new website called PoshBrood.com is taking the "are we there yet?" out of family travel by helping frazzled moms find the relaxing family escapes they deserve. We talked with the site's creator, Elizabeth Thorp, a veteran travel writer and globetrotting mom of three, to get the scoop on one of the most comprehensive parent-friendly travel sites we've seen.

momlogic: Where did the idea to start the site come from?

Elizabeth Thorp:I have published travel stories in the Washingtonian, Capitol File Magazine and momlogic.com and had amassed a ginormous folder of fantastic family hotels, resorts and villas along the way. At a lunch, I was talking about a great villa we had rented at Round Hill, and other moms chimed in about their best spots. We spent a long time swapping information. Then someone at the table said, "Someone has got to make this accessible for people. I've never heard of these great places!" It was my "aha moment," as Oprah says. So I corralled all my findings and started reviewing new properties, hired a graphic designer, web designer, copy editor and voila! Poshbrood was born.

ml: Tell us about the name of the site.

ET:
Yes, I decided to do an informal focus group of cool, fun people I know, and all the "Luxury Family Travel," "Posh Family Travel" type names got a lukewarm reception. Most people told us they wanted a fun, slightly obscure brand to draw people in, and then the site and travel catalog would speak for itself! Poshbrood's tagline is "Offspring: Don't leave home without them," which we think is a hoot.

ml: We love the name, too! So, what kinds of stories will you be featuring?

ET:
We will feature interviews with celeb parents about their favorite family travel destinations, their personal "Clark Griswold" travel tales, gear they couldn't live without or their ideal dream family vacations. Also, our weekly newsletter will highlight family travel news, new Poshbrood properties, hotel and airfare sales, tips and special offers on Poshbrood properties.

ml: So what will your average mom reader be like?

EB:
The average Poshbrood user/reader will be a parent -- likely a mom, since the woman in the family tends to be the boss of all vacation and purchasing choices, unless it's a chainsaw, lawnmower or grill. Moms who love travel, interior design, spas, fashion and being pampered will be attracted by the site. That said, the whole premise of Poshbrood is that these properties are hotels and resorts I would stay at even if I didn't have children, because they're that chic, interesting, luxe or cool and relevant to any traveler. However, they are Poshbrood properties because they not only accept children but positively welcome them with a range of activities and amenities to keep the kids and parents happy.

ml: What are some pieces that we can look forward to reading?

EB:
In a few weeks, we will be talking with an actress, mom and avid traveler. She's not a doctor, but plays one on TV -- a primetime ABC show. We'll also be interviewing a daytime TV diva, mom, traveler and singer about her best family vacations. We're also working on the best places to spend Thanksgiving and family-travel specials over the holidays.

next: Child Identity Theft: A Growing Concern
Beth October 18, 2010, 3:03 PM

Very cute site! Can I enter more than once to win the trips? I like the “budget queen” section — a range of prices for all families.

Anonymous October 19, 2010, 8:14 AM

This is way out of my budget. I think the term PoshBrood is only going to appeal to rich parents.

scrapebox forum poster March 29, 2011, 12:23 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

do followers March 29, 2011, 1:58 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Cleo Kreese March 29, 2011, 5:05 PM

You are a very clever person!

Guy H. Church March 29, 2011, 5:24 PM

Beneficial

Ian Benchoff March 30, 2011, 7:25 AM

Hello.This article was extremely fascinating, particularly because I was browsing for thoughts on this topic last Thursday.

blackberry playbook accessories March 30, 2011, 10:33 PM

I simply desired to say thanks once again. I do not know the things that I might have taken care of without the actual tips and hints documented by you over this question. It was before an absolute frightening circumstance for me, but encountering the very well-written technique you handled it made me to cry for happiness. I’m just happy for your advice and even have high hopes you recognize what an amazing job you were getting into educating people today all through your webblog. I am sure you haven’t encountered any of us.

carmel california March 30, 2011, 10:40 PM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was listed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non related search. :)

Computer Repair March 31, 2011, 2:51 AM

Nice weblog here! Additionally your web site rather a lot up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink in your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

Arlene A. Wang March 31, 2011, 3:14 AM

Intriguing

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 8:16 AM

First-class article it is definitely. My teacher has been seeking for this tips.

Yohimbe Ephedra Fettverbrennung March 31, 2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks alot for that great web log! I really enjoyed it! ECA Stack

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 10:10 AM

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 11:59 AM

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

computer repair services April 1, 2011, 2:14 AM

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and sit up for seeking extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks!

program tv April 1, 2011, 6:47 AM

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

japanese tractors April 1, 2011, 2:14 PM

Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch since I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

Greenenergydude April 1, 2011, 3:08 PM

More often than not I do not make comments on websites, but I will need to mention that this post definitely compelled me to take some action. Fairly fine article.

hemorrhoids April 1, 2011, 5:43 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”