How to Explain Divorce to Your Kids

Guest blogger Jessica Katz: With celebrities splitting left and right lately, I decided to ask an expert for the best way for parents to tell their kids they're breaking up.

parents talking to boy
David Arquette recently told shock jock Howard Stern the way he broke the news of his and Courteney's split to daughter Coco. He said he took Coco to the beach for a picnic to tell her that her parents are getting a divorce. Did he go about it the right way, or the wrong way?

Dr. Jenny Eide, Ph.D, says, "There isn't really a right way. But the Mark Brown book Dinosaurs Divorceis a great resource. It's a guide for parents on how to explain divorce."

Dr. Eide's tips:
  • Answer any and all questions. "Let the kids ask what they want to know," says Dr. Eide. "They will only ask what they are emotionally ready to hear -- which may not be a lot."
  • Both parents should be present in the room.
  • Explain it in a language that the kids will understand, without going into too much detail or blaming either parent.
  • Explain how their life will be both different and the same, and describe what their life will look like. "What kids are most worried about is, 'How is this going to affect me?'" saysDr. Eide. "Say, 'Mommy and Daddy won't be in the same house. There will be two houses, two traditions, two holidays.'"
  • Stay calm. "Kids take their cue from you," notes Dr. Eide.
  • Alert the people around your children, such as teachers and counselors. (You want them to be aware of signs and symptoms like depression.)
  • Above all, explain that it wasn't their fault. "Kids often think they did something wrong, and they often have fantasies about their parents getting back together, like in 'The Parent Trap,'" notes Dr. Eide. "Validate their feelings and reiterate that it was not their fault and that you love them."
  • Don't tell the kids until you have a clear plan. "If you're waffling or going back and forth, don't include the kids in your thought process," says Dr. Eide. "Otherwise, it will create a lot of anxiety for them, and they won't know how to process the whole thing."
  • Try to put the children first -- they are stuck in the eye of the storm.
  • No name-calling or hitting below the belt. "Having your parents divorce is hard enough without hearing them sling smut," says Dr. Eide. "For a child of divorce, there is nothing worse than being stuck in a game of tug o' war, anchored in guilt. Saying bad things about your spouse may make you feel better, but it will make your kids feel lousy. Remember: Your marriage may not have worked, but your divorce can."

next: The Birth Rape Phenomenon
Star Duve April 1, 2011, 10:34 PM

excellent points altogether, you simply received brand new reader. What could you suggest in regards to your publish that you made a few days ago? Any sure?

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 3:04 AM

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 5:28 AM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

MX Graphics April 2, 2011, 7:55 AM

Awesome Post! I am so glad I stmbled onto this. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for the post. I’ll definately visit again! Steve

JET AIRCRAFT CHARTER April 2, 2011, 9:43 AM

Brilliant, thank you, I will subscribe to you RSS soon!

Nakisha Sabot April 2, 2011, 5:03 PM

thirteen; twelve; fifteen;

Greenenergydude April 2, 2011, 6:34 PM

Hello could I reference some of the insight seen in this entry if I reference you along with a link back to your internet site?

Rosemarie Aderman April 2, 2011, 9:02 PM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks - you cleared up some things for me!

Carpet Cleaning Springville April 2, 2011, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the Info! After a lot of searching, this was the most helpful article. I appreciate the time you took to write it. Cheers! Ike

QuieniKes April 3, 2011, 8:18 AM
used cars in columbus ohio April 3, 2011, 2:53 PM

Rattling wonderful visual appeal on this site, I’d value it 10 10.

QuieniKes April 3, 2011, 6:23 PM
Boise Home Appraisals April 3, 2011, 8:49 PM

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such magnificent information being shared freely out there.

bota förkylning April 3, 2011, 9:51 PM

I believe other website owners should take this website as an model, very clean and excellent user friendly design .

Life Plus April 3, 2011, 10:54 PM

Thanks for your insight for the great written piece. I am glad I have taken the time to read this.

Photovoltaic Solar Power April 4, 2011, 3:53 AM

Your writing is wonderful and gives food for thought. I hope that I’ll have more time to read your articles. Regards. I wish that you publish new texts and invite for you to greet me

consolidate debt April 4, 2011, 7:53 AM

Thanks for making the sincere effort to speak about this. I feel very sturdy approximately it and wish to read more. If it’s OK, as you acquire extra extensive knowledge, might you mind adding extra articles similar to this one with additional information? It would be extremely useful and useful for me and my friends.

roof repair Philadelphia April 4, 2011, 5:17 PM

Love your page! Thanks for the good info!

facia panel April 4, 2011, 9:15 PM

I can’t find how to subscribe to the comments via feedburner. I want to keep up to date on this, how do I do that?

watch the a team online April 5, 2011, 12:19 AM

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all important infos. I’d like to look more posts like this .