I Wore Purple. Now Will Bullying Stop?

momlogic's Vivian:

woman in purple shirt

GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, asked folks to don their best purple duds October 20 to raise awareness about the dangers of anti-gay bullying after the suicide of Tyler Clementi. I put purples on and wore them proudly.

As a human being who cares about other human beings, I'm 1,000 percent behind doing anything and everything I can to raise awareness about bullying. It sucks to be bullied for your sexual orientation, ethnicity, hair color, drawing breath or whatever.

I have many distinct memories I'd rather not have about being bullied in the '70s (yes, the '70s!), when dirty words like "gay" and "retarded" were ridden hard like Camaros and the girls in their backseats. Back then, kids still said mean things and threw rocks, just in palazzo pants and without benefit of broadcasting their hijinks on Facebook.

My distinct provocation? Let's see ... I could spell, wore glasses and was nerdy, so that was a bummer. My ethnic frizzy crazy orange quasi-fro didn't quite fit the expectations of the occupants of my largely Italian/Irish neighborhood. I distinctly remember one fall day, bolting out the side door of my elementary school and down the hill toward the safe haven of my cul-de-sac, scared shizzless to look over my shoulder at the gang of boys hurling rocks in my wake, to the tune of assorted descriptors illustrating my inherent repulsiveness. All this joy and more, at the ripe old age of 8.

That said, I can't imagine the exact strain of pain and fear Clementi felt when he dove to his demise, but I do know something about fearing random acts of persecution and physical pain inflicted by others. Until recently, bullying was defined as legally sanctioned hate crimes for the under-18 set. As he was of legal age, I believe Clementi was not a victim of bullying, but of a hate crime.

The "It Gets Better" YouTube campaign is more geared toward school-age kids, and with all that's being written about it, I truly believe it has done much to raise awareness about bullying in the LGBT community.

But will all this propaganda be successful in effecting change in an age-old practice? Will kids get the message that bullying is bad? Or will kids continue to bully and be bullied because it's part and parcel of growing up, and a pecking-order mentality among kids is innate?

What do you guys think?

next: TLC's 'Sister Wives': The High Price of Polygamy
Prata med tjejer April 4, 2011, 10:06 AM

Very interesting points you have mentioned , appreciate it for posting .

max generation April 4, 2011, 11:20 AM

magnificent issues altogether, you simply received a new reader. What could you suggest in regards to your submit that you just made some days ago? Any positive?

Fatburner Pillen April 4, 2011, 1:11 PM

Bonjour! Interessanter Blogg! Website

replacement windows Philadelphia April 4, 2011, 4:30 PM

If you could email me with a few hints on how you made this website look this good, I would be appreciative!

Solar Panels For Home April 4, 2011, 5:57 PM

Hello - I have to admit, I’m impressed with your site. I have no trouble navigating through all of the tabs and info was super easy to access. I discovered what I wanted in no time at all. Pretty great. Would appreciate it should you add discussion boards or something like that, it might be an ideal way for your customers to have interaction. Congrats!

Silver earrings uk April 5, 2011, 12:24 AM

I believe that is a captivating aspect, it made me suppose a bit. Thanks for sparking my considering cap. Every so often I get such a lot in a rut that I just really feel like a record.

Enrique Mongeau April 5, 2011, 8:52 AM

what these tables _mean_:

guild wars 2 April 5, 2011, 2:56 PM

You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I feel I would never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely vast for me. I am taking a look ahead in your next submit, I will attempt to get the cling of it!

mystic fire topaz rings April 5, 2011, 6:33 PM

Many thanks for sharing your article. I really enjoyed it. I put a link on my site to here so other people will read it. My subscribers have similar interests.

carpet cleaners April 5, 2011, 9:14 PM

I can’t find how to subscribe to the comments via feed . I want to keep up to date on this, how do I do that?

customizable t-shirts April 6, 2011, 3:59 AM

Thanks for making the honest attempt to give an explanation for this. I feel very strong about it and wish to be told more. If it’s OK, as you attain extra in depth knowledge, might you mind adding extra posts similar to this one with more information? It could be extremely helpful and useful for me and my colleagues.

Life Plus international April 6, 2011, 8:26 PM

Have you considered adding some relevant links to the article? I think it might enhance everyone’s understanding.

bra hårvax April 6, 2011, 9:38 PM

Outstanding post, you have pointed out some great details , I likewise conceive this s a very great website.

Life Plus international April 6, 2011, 10:55 PM

Captcha is certainly one of the ideal methods against auto bot registration but xrumer will destory it with is amazing power. Certainly one of the most widespread spam behavior is auto account registration on forums e.g Xrumer. These bots intend to post advertising messages without manual control and so so very successfully with xrumer. Tools like Xrumer are dedicated for this purpose. Thus, you are able to set up captcha against bot registration. Alternatively, setting up anti-spam questions that appear randomly will also be useful but it real wont work since xrumer is king. Xrumer

BioBasics April 7, 2011, 6:02 AM

Have you thought about adding some differing opinions to the article? I think it will really enhance viewers’ understanding.

contemporary art paintings new york April 7, 2011, 7:05 AM

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up!

lentilles de couleur April 7, 2011, 6:21 PM

F*ckin’ remarkable things here. I am very happy to peer your post. Thanks so much and i am having a look forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

bugatti veyron price details April 9, 2011, 4:03 AM

Wohh just what I was searching for, appreciate it for posting .

forex trading April 9, 2011, 10:47 AM

I understand I’m a bit past due in contributing my ideas but that particular submit made me assume. It was an absorbing weblog post. I have get a normal reader of one’s internet sites because I stumbled on your site a though again yet again. I cannot say that I agree with almost everything you mentioned nevertheless they were emphatically enlightening! I will most likely be back again

hdmi kabel April 9, 2011, 1:10 PM

I genuinely enjoy looking at on this website , it has excellent posts .