Jon Gosselin Fights to Keep Kids out of Spotlight!

momlogic's Vivian:

Jon Gosselin

For quite a while, Jon Gosselin has been saying he wants his kids off the small screen, pronto. And Perez Hilton reports he's taken to Twitter to proclaim his stance and explain why. Here's what Gosselin wrote:

"As you may or may not be aware, I have been working for some time to remove my children from television. I do not believe being on TV is beneficial to any of them. They are no longer toddlers that are oblivious to what is going on around them. They are now six and ten, in school and desperately in need of a normal life.

Each of them has experienced negative effects of having their lives so public. Some are struggling with emotional and/or behavioral issues. My goal for my children is for them to have a normal childhood, and gain back their much-deserved privacy. This is not about money, this is about my children. No amount of money is worth the price my children are paying. You cannot put a price on childhood. Money comes and goes, but you only have one childhood.

For those questions about money and support, I can say I am supporting my children to the best of my ability. All parties involved know the truth about this. I am and have been actively seeking employment. I have been barred from accepting entertainment deals that would generate income for my family due to contractual obligations. I am also actively looking for a job outside of the entertainment industry and so far, have not secured a position. In the meantime, I have been focusing on spending time with my children and providing a safe, stable, normal and private environment for them!

On October 13, 2010, I went to court to act in the best interest of my children -- to remove them from television. The judge respectfully denied my plea, and granted filming rights to their mother. I honor the judge's decision, but I do not support it. I will not stop fighting to remove my children from television. It is not a child's job to support themselves, or a lifestyle; they need to be kids. I would like to apologize to my friends, family and especially my children for not taking a stand earlier in my life and not questioning my decisions to have our lives documented and displayed. I will have to answer to my children for the rest of my life. I will have to live with this guilt the rest of my life. I am truly sorry!"

WHOA! It really seems like he feels bad he didn't express these reservations back when he was married to Kate and living off the proceeds!

What do you guys think? Do you think being on a reality show is detrimental to a child's upbringing -- and if so, how?

next: 'Sesame Street' Teaches Girls to Love Their Hair
MommyLisa October 15, 2010, 2:24 PM

I don’t know WHAT to think quite frankly.

Anonymous October 15, 2010, 3:21 PM

I think being on a reality show broke up their parents’ marriage. If that’s not bad for you, what is?

wahmtoday October 15, 2010, 4:24 PM

It is a father’s right to protect his child(ren). Look how most “child” stars turned out as adults.

Renee October 15, 2010, 5:05 PM

I think excessive exposure to the public eye would be bad for any child, but these kids weren’t even your typical child stars that could spend a day on the big screen, then go home and lock their doors. They’ve lived in front of the cameras their whole lives.

Krista October 15, 2010, 6:12 PM

Jon had to help 1 of the boys finish his bm in the back of the family van while Kate shopped for new bedroom furniture. This didn’t seem like a big deal at the time to have on the show but how do you think that boy will feel when he’s 9 and he’s being picked on because his private momements were on t.v. Jon is right to get them off the show and the 1 older girl is a brat from hell,but not her fault as Kate made her that way.

Shelly White  October 15, 2010, 6:52 PM

You can always appeal the judges decision to show just cause of why you feel this would not be in the best interest of your children. I don’t know why an appeal was not issued out asap.
I understand the need to remove the children. Sight unseen and the lime life would settle down and people would forget as the children grow.

I think if the children wait until legal age, which is 13 in most states, they then could decide on there own if the TV spot light is something they would all like to return to.

These children are all far too young to be making a decision right now that would be a lifetime decision. I don’t think they understand this, nor would they until they are more mature. I think someone else is making this decision for them right now and not really explaining that what is on TV now and going around on the internet will be available to view and watch and see for a very long long time.

Some younger actors have no problem making this adjustment. But these children have been on TV far too long now and what damage has been done, is already there.

Please appeal.

Melinda October 15, 2010, 10:18 PM

im not really sure what to think about the whole thing…

Peggy Sue Briste October 16, 2010, 9:40 AM

I think he is just bitter and jealous that he is no longer making money off being on tv himself. Like you said, he didn’t mind his kids being on tv when he was profiting from it, but now that TLC doesn’t want him anymore he wants his kids off TV. I say he is just a LOSER who can’t get a real job.

Kristen October 16, 2010, 12:04 PM

I guess what I would like to know is if Jon can’t seem to find employment and Kate working as a nurse would not generate enough money to pay for childcare for the crazy hours she would be expected to work or the food that many children would need, let alone a mortage then what is she suppose to do? If she did try and support her kids with a regular job then her children would end up being raised by other people AND she would probably end up on the welfare payroll, how pissed would be people be then?

Ishkabibble October 17, 2010, 8:59 AM

Money should not be the sole decision maker. Many other large families survive on “normal” incomes. Jon wanted to stop before all the news broke on his galavanting. It has to be detrimental to the having a normal childhood. They’re not being actors playing a role, they are themselves and can’t get away from a character. Let them fade into obscurity and have the possibility of a somewhat normal life, although it never will be.

Kristen October 17, 2010, 9:09 AM

Ishkabibble yes your right, if it was a two parent home then money should not be the sole decision maker BUT Jon really liked the money and didn’t really speak up all that much. Now they are divorced and only kate is making money, her choices are to take the kids off tv and go find a “normal” job but then someone else would be raising her children for her and their is no guarantee that her paycheck would be enough……..When the show started taping however many years ago, Jon was working and he was still standing in line waiting for assistance.

jborange October 17, 2010, 9:52 PM

Jon is doing the right thing by trying to take his kids out of the public eye permanently.His resentment towards Kate and the network has nothing to do with money.When the Jon and Kate Plus 8 show was still on the air,there was a point during the last two seasons where Jon didn’t look happy doing the show anymore.He seemed disillusioned with the whole thing.He resents Kate because of how she treated him,and there were examples of that on the show.She emasculated him.The network is further emasculating him by making it difficult for him to take job offers from other entertainment outlets and such because they won’t let him out of his contract.So he’s trying to find another way to make a living and support his kids until his contract runs out.

Ruthie October 18, 2010, 12:56 PM

So how come Kate was able to do Dancing With The Stars and is making money on other entertainment outlets but Jon can’t? That does not seem right.

And if the kids are making the money why is Kate using it to support HERSELF and her personal clothing, makeup, surgeries, etc????

I think Kate is a joke!

Wishing I could have seen the writing on the wall! October 18, 2010, 4:27 PM

I think “Jon” is right. What is done is done but doesn’t mean the future of the kids can’t be changed. I put my kids on National T.V. once (Yes,Just once) and I wish with all my heart I had never done it. Both my kids were out going and had all the confidence in the world before being on the T.V. My oldest in college wasn’t effected, by my one son in High School got teased. It wasn’t mean teasing, just enough that, now he has turned shy. I wish I had never done it. It didn’t accomplish anything but cause harm to who they were and what they became! If I could, I would go to court and tell the judge he is making a big mistake by allowing this to continue on.

jborange October 18, 2010, 9:48 PM

Also,this new Kate Plus 8 show is just supposed to be an update show about how she and the kids are doing,and it’s only supposed to be temporary.From the reports I’ve heard,Kate is supposed to be getting her own show called Twist of Kate,where she goes across to meet other moms and see how they live. The children will not be involved in that show.If that is the case,then Kate will be able to make a living without the kids being on tv.

Joseph Jacoway October 19, 2010, 4:38 PM

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying here but it could do with more detail. - If you would know the value of money try to borrow some. - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Jason Jordon October 19, 2010, 7:14 PM

Just proves the old adage. It’s an ill wind that blows no good. - Not even computers will replace committees, because committees buy computers. Attributed to Edward Shepherd Mead

Justin Jackson October 19, 2010, 7:51 PM

Just proves the old adage. It’s an ill wind that blows no good. - Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame. - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Justin Jumper October 19, 2010, 9:43 PM

Then again, the opposite could be true. - Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Johnny Jovel October 19, 2010, 10:19 PM

Interesting post reminds me of another gem. - I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. Attributed to Thomas Watson