Korean Moms Nix Gay Storyline!

momlogic's Vivian:Came across this story during my morning trawl on Perez Hilton,and it must be filed under "UNREAL"! Apparently, a group of Korean moms has formally mobilized to object to how a gay couple is portrayed on the popular Korean TV show "Life Is Beautiful." Their open letter of protest appeared in the Chosun Journal. Here's an alleged excerpt from the bummer of a bigoted missive:

Life is beautiful
"If my son becomes gay and dies from AIDS after watching 'Life Is Beautiful,' SBS must take responsibility! 'Life Is Beautiful' has glamorized the culture of gays against what is realistically, healthy and proper for the citizens of Korea."

In response, openly gay Korean actor Hong Seok-cheon apparently issued the following in a series of tweets: "'Take responsibility for my son becoming gay because of the drama?' What a funny ad, but also quite disappointing. Soon they will be putting out an ad saying, 'Don't hang out with Hong Seok-cheon if you don't want to be gay.' This was the exact reason I was fired from 'BboBboBbo' 10 years ago when I first came out -- all of those calls made to the broadcast company asking to take me off the show. If such logic was true, all of those children that were on a part of the show with me should be gay by now, but they aren't. The gay couple that is shown on 'Life Is Beautiful' is so beautifully and realistically drawn. If there really is a son out there that becomes gay after watching the drama, it is not because he became gay but because he actually was gay and finally earned enough confidence to come out. It could be the drama that gave him that strength to come out to his parents and ask for understanding. How unfortunate for the children that live under the parents that put out such a trashy advertisement. AIDS is not a disease specific to gays. How is it that I found out that I was gay 25 years before I saw the drama 'Life Is Beautiful'? What kind of dramas did the gays in the '50s, '60s and '70s watch in order to become gay? Being gay is not a contagious disease, you fools. The people that put out this ad not only demolished the human rights of gays but of AIDS patients as well."

Tell it like it is, Hong! Surprising and sad to hear that a group of moms would band together and make a concerted effort to issue such a message of hatred, ignorance and bigotry. Question is, how long until one of their children comes out? What will they do then?

next: Will I Ever Sleep Again? Help!
Anonymous October 7, 2010, 1:38 PM

You know, I get what you are saying but every person is entitled to feel the way they do. You can’t force people to accept people who are gay anymore than you can force a gay person to be straight. Tolerence should be on both sides. We may not always agree with people for their opinions on lots of things ie…politics, work ethics, relationships, spending habits and so on but that is what makes each of us unique. I can only be true to myself.

DB October 7, 2010, 2:50 PM

Yes, I agree with anonymous. If these moms disagree with what is being “pushed and forced” on us, then they have the right to speak out. I wish that even more people would speak out for morality. Shame on Vivian for being intolerant of these moms’ beliefs.

Rory October 7, 2010, 5:24 PM

I agree with Anonymous and DB. How dare you not tolerate other peoples intolerance.

Gillian October 7, 2010, 5:43 PM

Hmm, methinks Roy is being sarcastic, but I agree with everyone else, at least. Really? “Filed under UNREAL”? This is hardly the worst-ever-in-the-whole-world-or-even-universe-OMG case of intolerance. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions. Get over it.

chris October 7, 2010, 6:23 PM

I also agree w/anon. I can think and feel how ever I want to think and feel. My feelings belong to ME. I try not to judge other people for how they feel and I don’t want to be judged for how I feel. I won’t say how I feel about gay people b/c I chose not to. Rather I think it’s right or wrong shouldn’t matter to anyone but me.

Russell October 8, 2010, 5:22 AM

I’m pleasantly surprised by everyone’s comments above (except Rory). It seems everytime there is a story about homosexuals and if anyone dare to disagree with the polically correct way of thinking, then the words such as bigot, homophobe, and such nasty words are thrown about.

Only by showing tolerance on both sides can we truly have civil discourse and civil debate. Also we would finally be able to act like adults. Telling children that name calling is never allowed and then adults turn around and do the same thing, its no wonder that children are confused on what proper behavior is because they see adults acting worse than children.

partogr October 9, 2010, 6:20 AM

Complex issue. Should I hide it. All depends on the environment, in some cases can be a big problem, I think.

Im work by | Essay

Tracy November 1, 2010, 1:22 PM

I guess Korean mothers don’t know how to work the remote.

Iphone 4 Accessories November 25, 2010, 10:02 PM

Really interesting written content. the content that you shared is impressive and most prominently i liked how you shared things here. Really, the concept is real time applicable and as per the current demand of the internet user society.

Claudio Woods December 3, 2010, 9:14 PM

just reading yourarticles, like your words. It is not isn’t ain’t so easy to findworthy articles, in the internet Today.

Caroll Derham December 4, 2010, 6:18 PM

coming across an ambitious website sometimes lasts very long, so I felt very happy when I found this article.

janny March 11, 2011, 2:42 AM

You can write essay sample about this film and event that was before show. In it you can write your opinion on this.

Gricelda Songco March 16, 2011, 8:29 PM

This page appears to get a good ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It gives a nice individual spin on things. I guess having something real or substantial to talk about is the most important factor.

Carla R. Erickson March 25, 2011, 6:12 AM

Useful

high pr dofollow list March 29, 2011, 12:48 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

scrapebox forum poster March 29, 2011, 2:21 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Mel Trombly March 29, 2011, 5:27 PM

Awsome website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also

lake keowee March 30, 2011, 10:51 PM

Intriguing, how would I apply this?

UK Payroll Services March 30, 2011, 10:55 PM

I just could not go away your website before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information an individual supply for your guests? Is gonna be again frequently to check out new posts

ereaders March 30, 2011, 11:49 PM

This is very attention-grabbing, You’re an overly skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and sit up for looking for more of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!