Let Babies Get Mad!

Guest blogger Jessica Katz: When my daughter first started crawling, she would want a toy and not be able to reach it. I didn't know what to do ... she would get so frustrated. I would wonder, Do I get the toy for her, or let her grunt and groan? I did not want her to feel frustrated and angry, but it turns out she should. Let your babies get mad!

angry looking baby
Kids no longer feel frustration and anger over losing a sports game. They no longer feel disappointed or long for things, because they have so much immediate gratification. They don't feel sadness, because we buffer them from all of the upsetting triggers.

Recently, a friend called and told me about her son's basketball game. I asked her who won, and she told me, "No one wins. They don't play for points. Everyone gets a trophy." Then I turned on the news and heard about bullying and kids taking their own lives.

Real life is full of disappointment, unfair situations, bullies, hurt feelings and losing.We are setting our kids up for failure by not helping them build the skills to cope with these situations. Rather than giving them the tools to battle bullies, try harder after they lose a game or soothe themselves when things don't go their way, we just eliminate the situations altogether.

And perhaps when they are small children, that's OK. But once they grow up and enter the "real world," we won't be able to shield them from every pitfall. Life is not fair. Life is hard. People can be mean. You don't get your way. Sometimes you lose.

As my daughter learns to walk, she gets mad and frustrated. She cries and falls (a lot). And I'm letting her feel all of those feelings. She needs to know that those feelings are out there, and it is OK to feel them. I never let her enter a danger zone, but a little disappointment is OK.

Bullying is wrong and no one should ever feel the need to end their life because of it. But kids also need to learn to stand up for themselves and handle their emotions. Kids push my daughter over all the time; she's small for her age. Parents always want me to intervene, but I say, "Let them push her over. When she's had enough, she'll learn to push back."

next: Heaven and Hell: Life with Multiple Kids
Solarpanelsforhome April 1, 2011, 3:32 PM

Your publishing is fantastic and gives food for thought. I hope that I’ll get more time and energy to go through your blogposts. Regards. I hope that you publish new texts and welcome you to greet me

computer repair April 1, 2011, 5:13 PM

Hello, Neat post. There is a problem with your web site in internet explorer, could check this… IE still is the marketplace chief and a big component to other people will omit your wonderful writing due to this problem.

wamu cards April 1, 2011, 5:55 PM

Just killing some in between class time on Digg and I found your article . Not normally what I prefer to learn about, but it was absolutely worth my time. Thanks.

Solarpanelsforhome April 1, 2011, 10:29 PM

Hi, there - I have to admit, I’m impressed using your site. I have little difficulty navigating through all of the loss and info was very easy to access. I found things i wanted very quickly at all. Pretty awesome. Would be thankful should you add discussion boards or something like that, it might be the perfect method for your clients to have interaction. Congrats!

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 6:54 AM

I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

BUSINESS JET CHARTER April 2, 2011, 8:18 AM

Me and my friend were arguing about an issue similar to this! Now I know that I was right. lol! Thanks for the information you post.

Solarpowerforhome April 2, 2011, 6:28 PM

Hey this can be a attractive looking site, is wordpress? Forgive me for that foolish question - but if so, what theme is this? Thanks! :-)

Carpet Orem Cleaning April 2, 2011, 8:53 PM

Thanks for the Info! After some of searching, this was the most hlpful artcle. I appreciate the time you took to write it. thnks! Steve

Sam Roble April 2, 2011, 9:49 PM

nine; one hundred and

fishing shirt purchase April 3, 2011, 1:54 PM

Glad to be one of several visitants on this awful internet site : D.

cheap vegas packages best April 3, 2011, 8:02 PM

I like this post, enjoyed this one regards for posting .

Roseanne Corby April 3, 2011, 8:35 PM

store the result in

template for employment application April 3, 2011, 8:41 PM

I don’t normally comment but I gotta state appreciate it for the post on this amazing one : D.

Home Loans Boise April 3, 2011, 10:15 PM

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I have been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided vibrant clear concept

fishing shirt April 4, 2011, 9:53 AM

Keep up the superb piece of work, I read few articles on this site and I believe that your web site is very interesting and contains circles of superb info .

max generation April 4, 2011, 11:11 AM

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this submit and if I may just I want to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things approximately it!

Good issues?I might word that as any person who really doesn’t write on blogs so much (in truth, this may be my first publish), I don’t suppose the time period ‘lurker’ may be very becoming to a non-posting reader. It’s now not your fault in the slightest degree , but possibly the blogosphere may get a hold of a greater, non-creepy name for the 90% of us that revel in studying the content material .

Nathanial Branford April 5, 2011, 10:31 AM

thirty; twenty nine;

PHP and cURL April 5, 2011, 1:06 PM

wonderful issues altogether, you simply received a logo reader. What would you suggest about your publish that you made some days in the past? Any certain?

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 1:25 PM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!