'Mike and Molly' vs. Marie Claire Blogger

momlogic's Vivian:

Mike and Molly

As a blogger, I know that going out on a ledge and stating my opinions can be risky, but the job is all about starting conversations over this global watercooler we call the Web. And if you're any good at it, you'll hit a nerve and people will come out of the woodwork to either agree or disagree with you.

Well, blogger Maura Kelly hit a big nerve this week with a post on MarieClaire.com, entitled "Should Fatties Get a Room (Even on TV)?"

In commenting on the CBS series "Mike and Molly," Kelly laid the groundwork for her post by stating her distaste with our country's obsession with physical perfection: "Yes, anorexia is sick, but at least some slim models are simply naturally skinny. No one who is as fat as Mike and Molly can be healthy. And obesity is costing our country far more in terms of all the related health problems we are paying for, by way of our insurance, than any other health problem, even cancer."

But it was the statement she made next that inflamed many: "Yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room -- just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict [sic] slumping in a chair."

She tempers her statement with this: "Now, don't go getting the wrong impression: I have a few friends who could be called plump. I'm not some size-ist jerk. And I also know how tough it can be for truly heavy people to psych themselves up for the long process of slimming down."

But the damage was done. Kelly has since publicly apologized for her statement -- while revealing her own struggles with anorexia: "Believe it or not, I never wanted anyone to feel bullied or ashamed after reading this, and I sorely regret that it upset people so much. A lot of what I said was unnecessary; it wasn't productive, either. I assume people suffering from eating disorders on either end of the spectrum are doing damage to their bodies, and that they are unhappy. But perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to judge based on superficial observations."

The Hollywood Reporter published a response from show creator Mark Roberts, who also addressed his own weight struggles: "I guess 'hateful' is the only way to describe [the post]. I don't think of anybody by their body type, certainly not people that I work with and love and respect. I struggled with weight all my life, and I don't know how to address this without being angry with somebody else's stupidity about other human beings. I hate when people stand in judgment over anybody. We all have our own struggles. There's something wonderful about embracing everybody; it's what makes us human. The shocking thing is we live in a society where this was an issue. Jackie Gleason would never get on TV now because he's a large man who drank on TV. We've taken steps backward under the guise of what's healthy. Almost everybody I know struggles with something -- whether it's their weight or alcohol."

On the flip side, RadarOnline.com spoke with MeMe Roth, the president and founder of Action Against Obesity, who calls it out that the overwhelming reaction to this post points to a certain double standard: "If she had written the exact same article saying she was grossed out by two anorexics making out on TV, everyone would have applauded."

What do you guys think? In spite of the harsh delivery of her message, does Kelly have a point? Or are you with "Mike and Molly" creator Roberts?

next: Unspoil Your Child -- ASAP!
Denise October 29, 2010, 1:52 PM

As an overweight person, I find Ms. Kelly’s article just insensitive and rude. I appreciate that she apologized, but it doesn’t make it all better - sorry.

What she said was hurtful and insensitive. I agree with my friend’s sentiments when she said to me yesterday, “I’m tired of obesity being the only acceptable form of discrimination. Whether or not someone can “help” being whatever size they are- and let’s face it, we can’t ALL be size 2s- there’s no call for treating them rudely or making fun of them. But apparently, it’s the only PC thing you can make fun of”

If you don’t like watching something on TV then turn off the tv or find a different show. There are certain shows I don’t watch because I don’t like them, but you don’t see me writing an article about how The Real Housewives gross me out or bother me? No, I just don’t watch it.

And as far as out in society….I am not grossed out by morbidly obese but I am quite saddened. I am just overweight, but still, I wouldn’t want to be made fun out. I am also annoyed by people wearing their pants at their knees, or women wearing low cut shirts…walk past, move on…no need to make a big to do.

Michael October 29, 2010, 6:39 PM

A comment on a daily morning show was we ought to be “more caring and compassionate. ” Exactly! Some people find it difficult to accept that obese people care so little about themselves and others to ignore one of the nation’s biggest killers and related diseases. That’s what is so amazing about glorifying a self created problem that is so readily cured. What psycholigical or physical problem is greater than desiring to greedily gorge oneself. Too many people have made the change, proving it is not insurmountable. So being grossly fat is — well just gross.
It is trying to enjoy a meal at a restaurant while watching the obese waddle in on their canes and walkers with their pants falling down and their mumus drooping extremely low that it ruins one’s appetite. And that’s difficult to turn off.
Then there are those who plop down in the stadium or the theater and the subways and buses with no regard for anyone around them. It is a matter of lack of self respect and disregard of others. I don’t care much about the made up Real Housewives either but they do attempt to make themselves appealing and presentable. So Mrs Kelly’s article is not so rude and insensitive and no apology needed.

Anonymous October 29, 2010, 6:42 PM

I’m not sure women who are as slim as models are ever healthy.

Debs October 29, 2010, 9:17 PM

Actually some people are naturally fat. There are people whose metabolisms don’t function properly or whose body can’t process glucose correctly.

There are also certain medications that lead to increased weight gain. My husband has a syndrome that affects his immune system - he doesn’t have one, basically. Everyday he has to take a dozen pills, but here’s the killer, several of his pills are prescribed to him because they have to deal with the side effects of the medicine that helps his condition. One side effect is weight gain. Without this medicine he would go blind and die. Weight gain is little price to pay for his overall health.

Another fact people like this lady need to be aware of is that weight isn’t necessarily an indication of how healthy a person is. A person can be overweight but take regular exercise - football three times a week or something. That person is likely to be healthier overall than someone who’s skinny but never exercises.

Carol October 30, 2010, 3:52 PM

Medicines contianing steriods or steriod derivaivates will make you agian weight.
Plus, thin/skinny people may not be healthy. Detox diets are dangerous. Diets eliminating whole groups of food are unhealthy. Eating less than 1000 claories a day is unhealthy. All can lead to weight loss but again NOT HEALTHY.
Considering the blogger had unhealthy eating habits, you would think she would think before writing anything about anyone elses weight.

Erin Gibson October 30, 2010, 8:03 PM

My mom is on a huge does of Prednisone (steroids) because she has a lung disorder and she put on 60lbs. She’s not eating poorly; it’s just that she’s so weak and the exercise she can do is very limited. She feels awful about it and I hate to see her so down on herself.

Something else people need to realize is that there really is a huge issue about metabolism. Yes, there are definitely people who eat poorly and don’t exercise and that causes the weight gain but being a college student and having friends that are all 19-25, I see that there are just as many thin girls drinking 4000 calories a night as there are heavy girls who are maybe eating take out twice a week and eating cafeteria food. It really does have a lot to do with how your particular body absorbs and burns off fat.

niecy November 1, 2010, 10:14 PM

The reason the people who can Medically control it (I am NOT including those on medicine that cannt help it). I am talking about those who abuse food-and don’t care-you are just as bad as those those who abuse alcohol, although most of those admit it. Get over your fat self, and stop eating! it is disgusting to even see the commercials with those fat actors-it is really gross!!!

donnaj November 5, 2010, 4:23 PM

I really love the show. Its life…we are all diffrent..the .world is diffrent, sizes…hair..color..and No one is perfect.Gay/ straight—I feel like there is enough prejudice, hate, in this world as it is. *the diffrence in a skinney person in love and heavy person is… a heavy person has more to love.*..It is about time heavier people get a break…They need love to..And if the show disguists you turn the tv..my self..I love it…just a thought..

buy finasteride November 8, 2010, 12:59 PM

You own a very interesting blog covering lots of topics I am interested as well.I just added your site to my favorites for being able in the future… Please continue your excellent artice writing

Jennifer November 9, 2010, 5:09 AM

I was appalled when I read the article. I am a person who is considered morbidly obese. I work out 3x a week and homeschool my 4 children. We try to eat well and my doctor says my health is great except for my weight. Somehow no matter what I do I can’t lose it (surgery is not an option). But, people tend to “judge the book bu its cover”. I am excited to see a show with “real” people that doesn’t take itself too seriously. People are people…what has happened to human decency? Everyone has struggles and bad habits. I think that it’s time to consider helping that person instead of ridiculing them. When my husband tells me I am beautiful, I am more likely to want to stay on a program than when someone else ridicules and tells me I am fat, that just makes me want to quit. I am glad that the article opened up a conversation, but people are not their size. I am not Jen, a fat person. I am Jen, a mom, teacher, friend, sister etc.

Scalp Med November 9, 2010, 4:37 PM

You seem very knowledgeable in your field.

hemorrhoids treatment November 9, 2010, 5:11 PM

Excellent site, where did you come up with the information in this write-up? I’m glad I found it though, ill be checking back soon to see what other articles you have.

toe fungus November 9, 2010, 10:09 PM

I was having difficulty not thinking of some business opportunities, so I started looking for some unusual blogs. I enjoyed your blog and it helped me relax.

natural remedies for menopause November 10, 2010, 3:58 AM

Hey, I clicked to your blog by error when I was browsing Yahoo for something off topic here. However, I must say your blog is crazy helpful. I really like the theme and the content on here. Thank you for keeping me procrastinating from my original assignment, lol.

nail fungus home remedy November 10, 2010, 4:20 AM

blogs like this are very helpfull thanks.

finpecia November 10, 2010, 8:37 AM

Good info thanks for the help.

minoxidil side effects  November 10, 2010, 11:54 AM

good post i enjoy reading this site

buy provillus November 12, 2010, 6:03 AM

I’m deeply excited about each and every single bit of information you post here

dofus November 25, 2010, 3:12 AM

acheter dofus kamas MMORPG DOFUS FR

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:52 PM

Youre not the average blog writer, man. You definitely have something powerful to add to the web. Your design is so strong that you could almost get away with being a bad writer, but youre even awesome at expressing what you have to say. Such a great blog. Ill be back for more.