'Monsters-in-Law' Have a Rough Rep

Bring on the mother-in-law jokes!

Mother-in-law

A New York Post article says that if you'd rather do your taxes than do time with your mother-in-law, you are by no means in the minority!

The results of a recent iVillage survey reveal that 51 percent of married women would rather clean the house than have to listen to their "monsters-in-law," 36 percent would rather visit the gynecologist, 30 percent would rather do jury duty and 28 percent would prefer to either do their taxes or get a root canal. And a whopping 76 percent said they would never seek parenting advice from their mothers-in-law!

Whoa! That's a staggering disconnect! Why?

Twenty-eight percent of women reported having a "terrible" or "bad" relationship with their hubby's mom. Kelly Wallace, the chief correspondent for iVillage, says, "It's such a complicated and charged relationship. A mother-in-law might be weighing in on how they are taking care of their kids or how they are dealing with their marriage."

OK, so who would women fancy having as a mother-in-law instead? Seventeen percent of the women voted for Hillary Rodham Clinton, 16 percent were down with "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" matriarch and "momager" Kris Kardashian Jenner and 9 percent said Sarah Palin.

Really?

How is your relationship with your mother-in-law? And if you could trade her in for a celebrity replacement, who would you choose?

next: I Wore Purple. Now Will Bullying Stop?
Beka October 21, 2010, 9:58 AM

I love my mother-in-law! We didn’t get along too well for probably the first 4 years, I think it was mostly because we both saw my husband as ours and didn’t want to share. Now, I am closer to my MIL than I am my own mother, she is great!

Jennifer October 21, 2010, 10:10 AM

She’s tolerable. But I could never live with her.

Anonymous October 21, 2010, 12:09 PM

I love my mother-in-law. I was about to invest in a house with her recently, but the deal fell through. She’s a great cook, doesn’t own a TV, and always shares books she’s read. Not only that, when we’re together, her and I sample all the ales and things at the pub, my husband drives us home because he doesn’t like beer that much. My relationship with my own mum is very different. It’s nice having someone in my life whose advice I can trust.

Jenni October 21, 2010, 3:41 PM

I am very blessed because I have a great mother in law. She is supporting, always there for advice, and fun to be around. i always tell her my biggest gripe is she is super mom/wife and I can never live up to that lol

KS October 21, 2010, 8:26 PM

The relationship with my mother in law has been a work in progress. When we had a falling out due to some extraordinarily unacceptable things we hashed things out face to face. I drew my line in the sand and she apologized. We have worked our way back from that point to an enjoyable relationship in which we regularly spend time with one another without my husband.

I was not going to let my children miss out on a relationship with their only grandmother for things that could be fixed.

I think to many people don’t allow the other person in on how they are actually feeling. If you asked all of these women if they had ever sat down with their mother in law and had a conversation about the specific behaviors that they found intolerable and what would make things right, I bet all of you most of them probably never have.

sudura laser October 24, 2010, 11:00 AM

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again - taking you feeds also, Thanks.

Dakota Redding December 8, 2010, 6:13 PM

Life is what you make it

green tea dieting December 11, 2010, 2:10 PM

why script error that I keep on getting always when I tried to replied

Calories burned December 13, 2010, 1:31 PM

I concur at the commenter Great column btw

three peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:08 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.

Gonzalo Mehdizadeh March 16, 2011, 8:03 PM

This post appears to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you promote it? It offers a nice individual twist on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to say is the most important thing.

Alveo March 21, 2011, 12:09 AM

Which golf clubs will be the best for beginner ?

dofollow forums March 29, 2011, 12:29 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

scrapebox forum March 29, 2011, 2:04 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Stanton Gouchie March 29, 2011, 6:39 PM

You are a very clever individual!

iphone 4 case March 30, 2011, 7:14 PM

very good submit, i definitely love this web site, carry on it

Tempe600@gmail.com March 30, 2011, 9:39 PM

Loving the info on this web site , you have done outstanding job on the posts .

buying a home March 30, 2011, 10:48 PM

Great points…I would note that as someone who really doesn’t comment to blogs much (in fact, this may be my first post), I don’t think the term “lurker” is very becoming to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault at all, but perhaps the blogosphere could come up with a better, non-creepy name for the 90% of us that enjoy just reading the posts.

Maurice U. Bunn March 31, 2011, 3:07 AM

Effective

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 4:18 AM

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!