My Husband Cut My Baby's Hair!

Notes from a New Mom: This is seriously an amazing story -- amazingly ridiculous, that is. I came home from work the other day, and my husband had just finished chopping off our 1-year-old's golden hair. To make things worse, she is a girl! I could sort of understand possibly trimming a boy's hair, but a girl's?! No.

scissors
"She had, like, a mullet!" he said, when I began screaming about why the hell he would just take a pair of scissors and cut off her beautiful hair. "She needed a trim!"

"SHE IS 1!" I yelled. "Her hair was gorgeous and just hadn't grown out all even yet!"

There are stories, of course, about toddlers and kids cutting off their own hair, so I guess my husband was acting like a toddler. I know it's just hair, but my daughter now looks ridiculous. (My husband, by the way, is a real estate agent; he has no business cutting any kind of hair!)

I am so pissed I don't know what to do. For many months prior to this, my daughter had worn little caps because she was bald. Then her hair started growing in -- this beautiful, honey-colored, soft, whispery hair. And now it's gone. He didn't just TRIM, he CUT: He cut her bangs, he cut the back of her hair; he cut all of her hair off, not just the part that looked like a "mullet." (It didn't look anything like a mullet, by the way.)

I loved putting her hair in little pigtails or putting in a little clip to the side. Now I can't do that anymore. Seriously: Sometimes men are just ridiculous.

next: Tips on Taking Terrific Halloween Pictures
Christina October 21, 2010, 8:16 AM

Good news is, it’s just hair. It will grow back. If that’s the worst thing your husband does, you are a lucky woman.

Renae  October 21, 2010, 11:09 AM

LOL!!! So what? He was just trying to help. It’s his kid too. Besides, kids’ hair grows back so fast.

Jennifer October 21, 2010, 11:33 AM

I would have killed him…or shaved his head. Seriously, I totally understand why you’re upset, I’d be LIVID.

Anonymous October 21, 2010, 12:06 PM

The baby is HIS daughter too unless there’s something you’re not telling him. Hair grows back. Instead of screaming and yelling like the spoiled toddler your child will soon become, why not wait for that to happen? Besides, why is what YOU think more important than what HE thinks? Why should you get your way where the baby is concerned rather than him? Fathers have equal rights. Try to remember that.

AJ October 21, 2010, 12:24 PM

I would be upset too! He had no right to do that, if he felt strongly that her hair should be cut he could have said something to her, it is a decision you should have made together. Just because he is the father does not give him the right to make those decisions by himself, he should have talked to her first. No it isn’t the end of the world, but there are many decisions like this that come up when raising a child. Decisions should be made together, not one or the other. I imagine you will have a lot of challenges coming up if you do not communicate about these things.

Laura October 21, 2010, 1:55 PM

I would be royally PISSED!!!! I can 100 percent see why you are so mad. I would be so angry with my husband I don’t know what I would do either. So what if it’s his kid too , it doesn’t mean it’s ok for him to completely destroy your childs hair just because he felt like her hair was too long. This was a little GIRL , not a boy. Her hair is supposed to grow & get longer. How can men be so utterly stupid sometimes. I feel your pain & completely validate your feelings on this. On the positive side( if thier can be one with something like this) her hair will grow back. Hopefully your daughters hair grows fast (as some don’t ). Hopefully your husband learned his lesson not to do something so stupidly irresponsible again.

Anonymous October 21, 2010, 4:10 PM

He cut his daughter’s hair. Would you ask his permission to cut her hair? Do you consult him about how to dress her? You’re going to have to accept this if you don’t want to end up working from 5 a.m. to midnight for the rest of your life.

Rita October 21, 2010, 5:02 PM

I’d be so royally pissed!!! Your child’s first haircut is a family decision and a family event. It’s not something to just “do” one day without the other parent being there if it is a nuclear family. He should have waited.

Anonymous, that is a totally different thing. The father is an adult and he can make his own decision to cut his hair. Clothing choices are a different matter too.

5 am to Midnight? What the hell kind of world do you live in?

Fortunately, it’s hair. It will grow back. She’s a girl. He didn’t have to cut her hair because it looked like a mullet…if he was that concerned about it he could have just did a little trim at the base of her neck instead of cutting all her hair off. I’d be pissed too if I couldn’t put her hair up in little ponytails anymore!

If you want to make your husband see how pissed off you are about this, cancel ESPN or something just in time for the big game. He’ll understand then lol. Men are nothing but toddlers in a grown man’s body anyways so most of the time they don’t understand the consequences of things they are going to do.

And yes, ALL men are like that. My husband can be such a great, sophisticated man at times, he cooks, he cleans, he even puts the toilet seat down…but wow he can act like such a 2 year old at times! They’re worse when they’re sick!

Jennifer October 21, 2010, 7:20 PM

If he felt so strongly her hair should be cut, he should have taken her to a salon!

If i had a nickel for every time I’ve heard this story….. Sometimes it’s the nanny, brother, sister, grandmother,etc…, but it’s never less emotional. Of course you know “it’s just hair”, but it doesn’t make it any easier or less upsetting. I feel your pain, but i bet it’ll grow back much faster than you think and will probably look thicker and healthier than it did. I’m guessing hubby wont be doing that again anytime soon!

Jayne October 22, 2010, 7:06 AM

I’d be pissed, too, but my reasoning is, I’m the only one who ever dresses the kids, who ever bathes the kids, who ever brushes their hair, brushes their teeth, buys clothes, launders and puts away clothes, picks out shoes, coats, accessories, etc. The way I see it, if my husband wants to pick the hairstyle, then he has to do some of the other stuff, too. If you’re going to leave it all up to me, then leave it ALL up to me. And btw, this arrangement works fine for me. I like being in charge of this stuff. I do all the “hard work” so I get to choose the fun stuff….frilly dress or rugged overalls, pig tails or loose and “messy”, etc.

Talon October 22, 2010, 10:49 AM

He’d be a dead man walking.

After his broken legs and hands healed.

OMG I am SO PISSED on your behalf!! I swear, I would have stabbed him with those scissors.

Anonymous October 26, 2010, 5:57 AM

Talon, stabbed him?

Talons and Claws October 26, 2010, 5:57 AM

Talon, stabbed him?

Kimry October 26, 2010, 3:47 PM

Wow! He should have came to you with that decision…I would be super pissed just the same! Let him have it, dont hold back, he has to think things through before he acts including how his decisions may affect you.

Lynn December 2, 2010, 1:28 AM

I’m sure it was shocking, but she’s a one-year-old. Is she a kiddie model or something? Cause if not, I don’t think the amateur haircut will change anything. And unless she’s got a medical condition, the hair will grow back. Meanwhile maybe take the time you would have spent combing hair for a little deep breathing…

Marilyn December 7, 2010, 9:25 AM

Ok so im really late to this story however i so share your pain. some 13yrs ago that literally seem like last week, my husband had a barber cut off our sons beautiful curly afro 1 month shy of his first birthday while I was at work. They both greeted me at the door with huge smiles and my knees buckled, my mouth dropped and the tears began streaming down my face. All I could do was grab my son and lock the two of us in my room rocking him sobbing. I feel as though I was robbed of his his first haircut moment. In his fathers defense he did take him to a professional and we are talking about a boy but, it was still tragic nonetheless. When I was able to speak I asked if he at least saved the hair which was A LOT!!! he handed me less than a teaspoon of hair rolled in up in a small bag. I was livid! He responded by asking what were you gonna do with it Knit him a sweater……MEN!!! Im sorry for your pain I could not imagine if this had been my daughter. Good luck getting over it. It’s been 13 years for me

Anonymous December 17, 2010, 7:26 AM

This is stupid. She is a baby. He meant well. Focus on bigger issues, unless this is a symptom on larger issues going on in your household. Please don’t raise that child believing that her hair is tied to her self-worth. She is just as cute, beautiful and precious- and I bet cuddly as she was with the hair.

Vera January 10, 2011, 2:59 AM

Ok, we get it: your husband did a “big no-no”;he should have consulted w/you 1st, but he didn’t and probally will next time. Now forgive him. This won’t be the last time he will make you mad (or vice-versa), but how you both deal w/it is a testimony for &/or agst. the longevity of your marriage. Question for you: if the shoe were on the other foot, wld you have consulted him, or do you feel being mommy “trumps” all that? Remember you can’t place a demand on someone, that you haven’t met yourself.

ChoCho January 13, 2011, 7:48 PM

What I don’t get is how some of the folks here are saying, ‘oh it’s just hair’…I would be pissed, ‘cause for the simple fact: it’s a GIRL, not a BOY, you don’t simply HACK hair off of a girl’s head!! I have a son, and guess what? My hubby DOES my son’s hair! If I had a girl, I’d do her hair! I myself was a bald baby, and my mom told me it took FOREVER to get a head full of hair! I didn’t get a full head of hair until I was nearly three! Mom was so happy I got a top-knot of hair on my head to start, she did me up like a kewpie-doll! -_-; Sad part was, she was just happy to put a ribbon on my head SOME where! Not all men are stupid and insensitive, but I think this cat here had a laspe of common sense!