My Kid Is Being Cyberbullied

Blythe Newsome:As parents, we do everything we can to keep our children safe. We teach them to look before they cross the street and tell them to never talk to strangers. If our children are in danger or are being hurt, we will do everything we can to protect them. And we hope that there are laws put into place to protect them as well.

kid using computer

Recent events have focused national attention on the age-old problem of bullying. Social scientists say that it's no more prevalent now than it was 50 years ago. What has changed is the method used.

Today, bullying goes far beyond the schoolyards and hallways and has entered the computer world as cyberbullying. The National Crime Prevention Council's definition of cyberbullying is "when the Internet, cell phones or other devices are used to send or post text or images intended to hurt or embarrass another person."

As a mom and someone involved in the media, I thought I had a fairly good understanding of cyberbullying. Then, this past week, my child became a victim -- and I saw firsthand how helpless we are to fight it and how little we as a community are prepared to deal with it.

According to some researchers, 42 percent of teens say they have been bullied online, and 58 percent of those teens say they did not tell a parent. I am so happy my child came to me for help.

I have spoken to parents who said, "My children won't be victims of cyberbullying because they don't go on social media sites like Facebook or MySpace," or "My children go on those sites, but I monitor what they say and do." But a cyberbully can easily create an account claiming to be your child -- and there's really very little you can do to stop it.

I stayed up all night watching as things were being done online and someone was pretending to be my child. I was fixated on the screen as I watched the things being said, peers of my child getting sucked in, strangers able to comment from anywhere in the world, friends of my child commenting and pointing out to anyone involved that the account was fake.

That animal-like instinct kicked in, bringing with it the feeling that, as a parent, I have a divine right to protect my child -- and the anger and frustration that came from not being able to do so.I contacted the social-media site, only to be told that they could pull the "imposter" page, hopefully within 48 hours. They also pointed out that there was no way to prevent the person from putting it right back up there a few minutes later.

I also contacted our local authorities. I spoke to an officer who said he really didn't know much about cyberbullying and didn't know of any laws or statutes making it a crime. He was extremely compassionate and said that, as a father, he didn't know what he would do if it happened to his daughter.

I checked with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and was told the only thing they could do was wait for it to go on for a certain period of time, when it could then possibly be considered stalking. The statutes in place right now -- and Florida is considered a "leader" in combating cyberbullying -- protect our children if the bullying occurs "through the use of data or computer software that is accessed through a computer, computer system or computer network of a public K-12 educational institution." The majority of cyberbullying between students does not originate through public-school computers or networks.

Education is going to be key to stopping this scourge. Anti-bullying programs are mandated in most schools, and policies need to be in place to protect victims. As parents, we need to be aware that our children can easily become targets for bullies. We must also be aware of how easy it is for our children to take part in the bullying merely by adding their comments or checking "like" on a social media thread.

I have talked to law enforcement officers, key political people, attorneys, media people, IT people, educators and parents. The shocking truth is that not one person knew what to do or how to even stop the cyberbullying process.

Parents need to understand that the Internet is a tool more powerful than any of us ever imagined. Keep the dialogue open with your children about bullying. If your children tell you they are being bullied online or if you discover such messages, your first response may be a strong emotional one. Be careful about expressing those strong emotions, so your children don't feel they are to blame. Let them know you will be vigilant to stop it, and be unconditionally supportive. And line up some support for yourself. Teach your children about Internet safety and keep yourself up-to-date on the latest technology trends.

My fight has just begun. I won't stop until things change and we can all better protect our children.

next: SNL's 'My Mom Is on Facebook' Video
Wedding Rings February 10, 2011, 9:45 PM

magnificent points altogether, you simply gained a new reader. What would you suggest in regards to your post that you made some days ago? Any positive?

zyczenia urodzinowe February 11, 2011, 2:30 AM

hello!,I like your writing so much! share we communicate more about your post on AOL? I need an expert on this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

vietnam factory February 11, 2011, 3:18 AM

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your website in internet explorer, would test this… IE still is the market leader and a good portion of people will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.

zyczenia urodzinowe February 11, 2011, 8:38 AM

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

Schwinn recumbent exercise bike February 12, 2011, 4:19 AM

I’d must check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I get pleasure from studying a publish that will make individuals think. Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!

Web Site February 13, 2011, 1:02 PM

Wanted to drop a comment and let you know your Rss feed is not working today. I tried adding it to my Yahoo reader account and got absolutely nothing.

tongkat ali extract February 15, 2011, 10:32 PM

You should really moderate the commentary listed here

accident videos February 16, 2011, 6:00 AM

The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I know it was my choice to learn, however I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you might repair in case you werent too busy on the lookout for attention.

electronic rat repellent review February 17, 2011, 12:56 AM

Do you’ve a spam issue on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was questioning your situation; we’ve got created some nice approaches and we are searching to exchange options with other individuals, be certain to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

metallbau February 17, 2011, 11:02 AM

There are some fascinating deadlines in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There is some validity however I’ll take hold opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as properly

buy beats February 18, 2011, 3:06 AM

hello!,I like your writing so much! share we communicate more about your post on AOL? I require an expert on this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

Homefront Forums February 18, 2011, 9:47 AM

Frickin’ awesome things here. I’m very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

Racing Seats February 18, 2011, 10:15 PM

I just couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back often to check up on new posts

Ugg boots UK February 21, 2011, 6:55 AM

I simply needed to thank you so much all over again. I am not sure what I would’ve done in the absence of the actual points contributed by you over such problem. It was actually a frightful concern in my position, however , being able to see a specialised fashion you managed it made me to cry over gladness. I am happier for your information and even sincerely hope you recognize what a powerful job your are doing teaching other individuals using your site. More than likely you have never encountered all of us.

Sports Cars February 21, 2011, 7:21 AM

Aw, this was a very nice post. In concept I want to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and not at all seem to get one thing done.

natürliche Potenzmittel February 21, 2011, 10:16 PM

You need to really control the remarks on this website

Elmendorf AFB February 22, 2011, 1:19 AM

Even though I really like this publish, I believe there was an punctuational error shut towards the end with the third paragraph.

Dallas February 22, 2011, 4:14 AM

I just could not depart your website before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information a person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back often in order to check up on new posts

Buy Facebook Likes February 26, 2011, 7:16 PM

Can I just say what a aid to search out somebody who actually knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know the best way to bring an issue to gentle and make it important. More folks have to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant consider youre not more widespread because you definitely have the gift.

There’s noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made sure good points in options also.