My Mommy Nemesis

Guest blogger Liz Fenton: I've recently picked up a mommy nemesis on the playground. (But for the record, I really do like to play nice with the other mommies!) Don't judge: I'm betting that you have one, too. Maybe she's that mom who always looks down and ignores your cheery hello at pickup each day. Or maybe she's the one who can never seem to remember meeting you, even though you've been introduced several times. Or possibly she gave you the evil eye when you were rocking your sassy new boots on back-to-school night. No matter the circumstances, she has now become your mommy mortal enemy ....

mean looking woman
With mine, it all started out innocently enough. We met, and things seemed fine. But after the TENTH time I was introduced to her, I decided that unless this lady had early-onset Alzheimer's, she was probably snubbing me. The most baffling part? Everywhere I went (and, much to my dismay, she was EVERYWHERE I went), she was chatting everyone ELSE up. She had no problem remembering that she'd met the lunch lady, the soccer coach or the other mommies I knew. But for some reason, my face seemed to render her completely clueless.

And so I became slightly obsessed with my MN, much to the chagrin of my husband, who rolled his eyes every time I would wonder what all the other mommies whose names rolled off her tongue so easily had that I didn't. Was I that forgettable? My mommy nemesis was really bringing me down. So when I saw her this last week at a school event, I was ready to snub her right back. My mommy nemesis would control me no more!

I quickened my pace when I saw her and put my head down. Then, to my surprise, I felt a hand on my arm and heard a voice say, "Hi, Liz!" It was my mommy nemesis! Hmm ....

next: Most Offensive Kid Costume?
Kara October 29, 2010, 8:36 AM

Um, Liz, seriosly? You sound a little full of yourself. A “nemesis” is not someone who simply can’t remember your name or doesn’t jump at the chance to say hi/chat. I can NEVER remember people’s names, no matter how hard I try, so a lot of times I’ll “ignore” them because it’s embarassing to me and people like you make it worse.

Seriously, all moms need to get over this type of infantile behavoir. Not everyone is going to be your friend, not everyone is looking forward to talking to you. And I’m sure not you’re not looking to be everyone’s friend either. And that’s okay. But when we start these ridiculous “mommy wars” over the most inane topics it belittles us as women.

Brooklynn October 29, 2010, 12:00 PM

In situations like this I try to remember this: “It’s not personal, it’s just personality”. People are the way they are, it has nothing to do with you. I find it very helpful.

Rita October 29, 2010, 12:09 PM

I do that sometimes, but I’m not trying to be snobby. I get insecure and shy lol. But alot of people think I’m a snob and I’m really not!

I guess sometimes some mommies will be snobs but maybe most of them simply don’t remember your name and are embarrassed OR they’re shy.

KS October 29, 2010, 5:18 PM

Who in the world has a “mommy nemesis”, that’s ridiculous. Maybe people don’t want to spend time with you because you are insecure and assume the worst.

Why would you care if one lady isn’t trying to befriend you? So what. You should be a fully formed adult with interests, hobbies and friends. Not a grown woman worrying about perceived slights that are most likely not intended.

Develop some interests that don’t include worrying about what other people think about your shoes.

Kelly October 29, 2010, 6:57 PM

Haha, love this!! Too funny, I think although we don’t want to admit it, we have all had that little nemesis at one time or the other. I’m sure this article was meant in fun, don’t take it to seriously!!

WriterCrys October 30, 2010, 8:36 AM

So funny! I love this and whether we want to admit it or not, we all have a mommy nemisis or two! Love how you tell it like it is, Liz!

Laney October 30, 2010, 9:17 AM

yeah mommmy nemesis isn’t someone who can’t remember your name. She’s the one who deliberately comes over says hi, intrudes on every conversation you have, always has a one up story or something way more impressive that junior is doing and completely ingoring the little brat while he pours sand on another child’s head. THAT is the mommmy nemesis.

Pamala October 30, 2010, 9:53 AM

Mommy Nemesis is someone who will be nice to your face and then talk crap about you behind your back and try to make your other friends not speak with you anymore. I haven’t had this happen to me but I’ve had it happen to several of my friends by one of my mutual friends. We all made the decision that this MN is now no longer part of our circle of friends because she was being destructive and spreading lies and rumors. That’s a real MN.

Shelly October 30, 2010, 5:18 PM

Seriously people- it’s just a funny blog. Get OVER yourselves!

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 11:08 AM

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat evaluation on this. And he in truth purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If possible, as you develop into expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra particulars? It is highly useful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog post!

Carlton Eppenger March 16, 2011, 12:04 PM

This page seems to get a great deal of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It gives a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to say is the most important factor.

Wendolyn Bridson March 16, 2011, 2:06 PM

enormous listing you lock up

do follow list sites March 29, 2011, 1:32 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Wilber Garlock March 29, 2011, 5:42 PM

Definitely, what a splendid site and enlightening posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.Have an awsome day!

Pierre Raven March 30, 2011, 7:35 AM

I am continually searching online for ideas that can assist me. Thx!

computer support March 30, 2011, 1:25 PM

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have keep in mind your stuff prior to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve obtained here, certainly like what you are stating and the best way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it sensible. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a terrific website.

ipad 2 cases March 30, 2011, 10:42 PM

Good day! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the great data you’ve got here on this post. I can be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.

online credit card payoff calculator March 30, 2011, 10:47 PM

Thank you for the advice. I’ve found your first point to be most effective.

Kathryn Taras March 31, 2011, 12:20 AM

I’d need to examine with you here. Which isn’t something I often do! I take pleasure in reading a publish that may make people think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to comment!

ereaders March 31, 2011, 12:22 AM

Usually I don’t learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, very great article.