NYC Muslim Teen Beaten and Bullied for a Year!

momlogic's Vivian:

nyc-muslim-teen-bullied-250.jpg

As a vulnerable teen, what do you do when caught in a war between your faith and your everyday life?

The New York Daily News told the very sad tale of a 16-year-old Muslim boy who was beaten by four bullies on a daily basis -- for a year! On Sunday, the boys were arrested on charges of assault and aggravated harassment, both as hate crimes.

The victim, a Staten Island teen named Kristian, said, "[They] punched me in my groin, and I fell to the floor. They started kicking me, and calling me 'You f---in' terrorist,' 'You f---in' Muslim.'"

Kristian, born here to parents from Trinidad, said the boys started the abuse by calling him gay, then graduated to beating him and blaming him for terrorist bombings. He said, "I was very scared that if I told the teachers ... they would beat me up more."

As many bullied kids do, Kristian suffered in silence in the hopes that the abuse would stop on its own. But it didn't. He was even attacked in class, and at one point was kicked so hard that he later had blood in his urine.

At long last, the four bullies -- three 14-year-olds and a 15-year-old -- were arrested. But Kristian's dad says his son's trauma has gone far beyond the physical. The talented piano player stopped playing, his grades have suffered and he's afraid to go outside alone.

So heartbreaking. In a perfect world, bullies would be charged as adults and victims of bullying would receive justice and treatment for PTSD. But then again, in a perfect world, bullying wouldn't exist.

next: Win a Wilton Ultimate Halloween Baking Kit!
Anonymous October 15, 2010, 5:20 AM

If this kid was bullied in school then I blame the teachers and administrators. Where were they when he got kicked in class???

Amy October 15, 2010, 9:14 AM

Terrible!

Christi October 15, 2010, 10:54 AM

It’s so easy to blame the teachers, but bullies are much smarter than that. I was bullied a great deal during high school, harassed sexually, taunted, called names, threatened, and even had a switchblade pulled on me by a boy who asked me if I wanted to live or die, and it was all done when a teacher wasn’t near by.
I don’t agree that these kids should be tried as adults. They are children, they are not even able to sign their name to a legal document or contract because they’re not considered by law able to make such decisions, yet we expect these kids, because they are bullies, to pay for their actions as if they were capable of understanding all the ramifications of their behavior.
Yes, there needs to be reform, yes there needs to be a safe haven for those abused (I was always told ‘boys will be boys’ and that I had to deal with it) and yes there needs to be a real punishment for their actions, but throwing them in jail for years isn’t the solution in every case.
I wonder about my abusers. I wonder how many realized the hell they put me through. I wonder how many would be shocked to know how it affected me, and how many feel true remorse, now as an adult, with children of their own. And I also wonder how many of those same children were abused themselves and taking it out on me.
Rounding up all the bullies and locking them away isn’t the solution, it just adds to the problem.

Sharon October 15, 2010, 11:46 AM

I wonder what the parents were doing too? It’s their son, the dad now wants to say how traumatized he was … stopped playing the piano and grades have suffered. So, I’m guessing he noticed that before… Did he talk to his son about what was going on? If his son told him what did he do?
We as parents have to take care of our own children, and the schools and society should help.

Spottedfeather October 17, 2010, 11:04 AM

If you do adult crimes you should get adult consequences. It’s as simple as that. If you don’t feel the same, then there’s something terribly wrong with your puny brain.

Christi October 20, 2010, 11:01 AM

@Spottedfeather, a 6 year old child finds a lighter and sets a fire that burns down a house. Should he be thrown in jail for arson - an adult crime?
There is such a thing as compassion and blind justice isn’t always fair, or right. Yes, punishment is called for when there is abusive behavior, but there has to be a sense of intelligent reasoning behind that punishment, not just locking the kids up and throwing away the key.
I sincerely hope that the judge and any jury has a more open mind than what you suggest.

shafiate October 23, 2010, 7:22 AM

we did ask him over and over again he told us nothing we took him to the docter and 3 specialist ,we did mri . eeg , counseling, and he use to change in the shower .so we never see his injuries we though he was going a change of being 16 ,we suffered a whole year of watching became sad and lonly and could not do eny thing to help him,then went to high school and try to make a new start ,and see two of the kids in school ,one of the kids was in his class and one day the kid in his class started to throw paper at him and was calling gay again and had 2 new kids calling him gay also,so now tree of them was picking on him again,so thank god he think to him self i can.t take this again,so he told what happen in class and i call the the principal and they talk to the kids and but they did not stop and thats when he told me what happen in is 51 markham ,so he was trying to move on but ,because one kid thing that he did not do enought to hurt my son in middle school and wanted to hurt him again my son talk and you will not beleive the horrors that my told me that they did to him,spit in his lunch pee in his bag hit him in front the teachers ,kickinh in the groin over and over again everyday now he is so sad he dont play music he dont go out alone he dont smilewe love him so much but we cant give him ahug he dont eny one to touch him

leave to remain  February 10, 2011, 6:12 PM

I am always browsing online for articles that can assist me. Thanks!