Sex Ed Just Got Smarter

For the first time in more than a decade, the federal government is funding sex education programs that aren't based solely on abstinence, according to the Associated Press.

teenagers in classroom
Contrary to what critics might think, this does not mean that schools will be handing out condoms to everyone ....

The AP reports that, starting this school year, a five-year, $375 million grant will be divided among 28 school programs that have been proven to lower the pregnancy rate among participants, no matter their focus. Many programs will distribute condoms, but about half are focused on boosting teens' academics and getting them involved in extracurricular activities.

Bravo!

I've always been a firm believer (and I'm even more so now that I'm a parent) that if kids want to have sex, they will. Why not arm them with the tools that will keep them safe from teen pregnancy and STDs?

Look at Bristol Palin: Her household taught abstinence-only, and she went ahead and had sex and ended up pregnant. I wonder if her life would be where it is today if she had been armed with all the necessary information, including abstinence as one of many choices.

Think back to when you were a teen. If your parents told you not to do something, it made that something more interesting, right? The more they said "no," the more mystique there was around that thing. This has to be the case with sex.

If it's morals that you are concerned with, those are enforced in the home. We shouldn't leave it up to schools to do it for us. As parents, it's our job to not only be "up in our kids' business," but to help them filter through the flood of information that is thrown at them on a daily basis. Why would a sex ed lesson be any different? It should only be a supplement to what we are teaching at home.

Moms, what do you think about the new funding that supports teaching more than just abstinence to our kids?

next: Divorce Dialogues: 'He Had Given Up on the Marriage'
Anonymous October 12, 2010, 8:37 AM

A lot of babies are born to girls who parents taught them everything about sex so the whole abstinence only blame doesn’t work. Today kids know a lot more about sex a lot sooner than most of us adults did so I see no reason what so ever for unplanned pregancies. Between their friends, tv, songs and everything else that kids are exposed to so early in life, the only reason kids are not using birth control and/or condoms is because they don’t want to and not because they don’t know better. I grew up in a strict catholic family and knew that having a baby out of wedlock was unacceptable so when I started have sex at 16, I went to planned parenthood (don’t need parenatal consent) and got on the pill. I barely had money and since they charged based on what you can afford, I think I paid like $5 a month. If kids want to be safe and protected they will find a way. I don’t think you can blame parents for it.

Anonymous October 12, 2010, 8:38 AM

K8 October 12, 2010, 8:40 AM

ALL FOR IT!!! Here to Comprehensive Sex ED!!!

Lionel Schrab October 12, 2010, 10:26 AM

Please visit my site.

Regards

Anonymous October 12, 2010, 12:02 PM

The first poster is the PRIME example of why we need education in the schools!! She says between television, music and frieds, kids will learn about birth control. Um, wrong. They will get massive amounts of misinformation going through those sources.

Anonymous October 13, 2010, 7:29 AM

You totally missed my point. What I said was that there shouldn’t be a teenager out there in these days who doesn’t know about wearing condoms and how std are spread. Kids are expose so early in life about sex b/c it is everywhere around us. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be sex ed in schools (son already had it in middle school and I signed for him to) I’m just saying that there is no excuse for kids not to know even if they are not learning it at home. Almost every kid out there has access to the interent and you can find anything on it.

Anonymous October 14, 2010, 5:47 AM

But that’s still putting the onus on the KIDS to learn (or mislearn) instead of the adults - schools & parents - where the responsibility belongs. You wouldn’t just say “EH, my kids don’t need drivers ed classes and I don’t need to show them how to operate a car because they see it on tv or can look up instructions on the internet”.

Frances Porch October 17, 2010, 12:21 PM

I thik that not everybody thing something about storage heaters (in polish piece akumulacyjne katowice). Please read somethin about it. That is realy cheap electric heater.
You can heat big house and your bild for electric will be low.

Regards.
Hyman Leuenberger

Bill Govoni October 19, 2010, 10:31 AM

Please visit my site.

Regards

Winford Crites October 20, 2010, 2:35 PM

Please visit my [url=http://www.rodos.sklep24h.gorlice.pl/e/Zakup-samochodu-uzywanego-na-Pol,1339]site.[/url]

Regards

Wendy Egertson October 21, 2010, 10:12 AM

Please visit my [url=http://www.tprebki.sklep24h.bielawa.pl/a/ogrodzenia-lublin,3008]site.[/url]

Regards