Sleepovers No More

Anonymous: My daughter loves sleepovers. The "social butterfly" of the family, she plans one with her friends almost every weekend, and most often they are at her best friend's house. I don't know what it is about this place, but she loves it there, and she loves her friend's family. I do, too -- they're lovely people and I am very fond of them. And I have never questioned my daughter's well-being or safety when she's there. That is why I was shocked when the father of this family was accused of molesting his child.

sad girl
I knew the father was innocent, and in the end, it was proven that he was. The person who accused him -- someone I have had run-ins with myself, so I knew what he was capable of -- fits the definition of a sociopath. (Seriously, he is the craziest, most manipulative, evil, weird person I have EVER known.) He lives across the street from our friends, and was fond of having loud parties late into the night. On one of these occasions, the music was still blaring at 1 AM, and my friends had no choice but to call the police, as it was keeping their children awake on a school night. They told him the next day that they had been the ones who called the cops; they apologized and explained that they had tried to call him and knock on his door, but the party had been so loud he didn't hear. He was not appreciative, to say the least. From then on, he had it in for them.

It was the very next week that cops showed up at my friends' door to look into allegations that the head of the family had been molesting his son. Of course there was no proof of this, but any call put in to CPS has to be taken seriously. All three of their children were interviewed separately by the people who came to the door, and all emphatically denied that their father had ever touched them inappropriately. Everyone knew who had called this in -- and why. (Paybacks, courtesy of Mr. Psychopath.)

I was able to pass this information on to "Psycho's" ex-wife, and she, in turn, vouched for my friends and showed concrete evidence (e-mails and texts) that her ex was out to get them for calling the cops on him the week before. Even though my friend was found innocent and was given the opportunity to press charges against his crazy neighbor (which he turned down!), he was traumatized by having the "molester" label put on him, albeit for just a few short days. Now he will no longer allow any of his children's friends to spend the night -- including my daughter. He never, ever wants to take the chance that the label will be put on him again.

I get it. But my daughter doesn't, and she is heartbroken that she can no longer sleep over at her best friend's house. She's only 8, so I can't fully elaborate as to why. I've reassured her that she had nothing to do with it, and that she has done nothing wrong. Poor thing.

I hope psycho guy gets his in the worse way possible, for harming an innocent family and for getting in the way of two little girls' sleepover fun.

next: Must-See Tonight: 'School Pride' on NBC
Jennifer L. October 29, 2010, 8:33 AM

So this person is a psycho because his party went on until 1 o’clock? As far as I can see, this is nothing but two people who don’t like each other descending into mud-flinging and name-calling:

You: Weirdo
Him: Child-molestor
You: Psycho.

If I were you I would step back, have a look at the damage that this is doing to your daughter, and then go and apologise to him. After all, it’s not your right to tell him how to live his life. Good luck with this.

Jennifer Lo October 29, 2010, 8:41 AM

Okay… I added the L to my name so as not to be confused w/ the other Jennifer posting on here. So, I guess I’ll add one more letter (sigh)

I don’t blame your daughter’s friend one bit, and that’s a shame that such a psycho is so vindictive.

Kristen October 29, 2010, 9:51 AM

We have a no sleep over policy in our house and it is for protection of our children AND my husband. You just never know. We also have strict rules on who takes the babysitter home(me). These days if you even look at someone the wrong way and they feel creeped out you can be investigated and I’m not willing to take that chance. I cannot blame this father one bit, he will always look over his shoulder for the rest of his life and keep his distance from people out of fear.

Jilly October 29, 2010, 1:18 PM

Jennifer L, what the H#$% are you talking about? Calling the police and reporting that someone is a child molester is NOT the same as name calling!! It is a serious allegation that could horribly damage a person’s life and family when done as a “payback.”
I hardly think it an appropriate response to neighbors being upset over a loud party. The family was well within rights to call the police, if not, then the police don’t show up!! The guy was not arrested only told that he was disturbing the neighborhood and no one told him how to live his life! The people who have issues here are the “gentleman” reporting the FALSE molestation and you for your sick twist rationale!

Kelly October 29, 2010, 7:02 PM

I think at 8 yrs old, you could explain this to your daughter on her level. I’m sure you’ve had the conversations with her about her body and keeping herself safe, etc. This could be a good time to have a conversation. Just a thought.

puffnstuffmomma October 30, 2010, 8:11 AM

Jennifer L. Are you wacked out on drugs?

puffnstuffmomma October 30, 2010, 8:17 AM

Also Jennifer L. the person is not a psycho because he had a late night party he is a psycho because he accused an innocent man of being the most vilest of things, a child molester, just because he was upset with him.

Annie November 5, 2010, 4:11 PM

If you call the cops on someone and then tell them that it was you who reported them to the police, you are seriously crazy :D

Andre March 4, 2011, 4:12 PM

No offense, but what I see as the most alarming issue out of this whole article is the fact that an 8 year old girl is planning sleepover’s almost every weekend. This is not normal. red flags should be going up if a child wants to leave home so often, especially at such an early age. I’m assuming from what it sounds like it didn’t begin at age 8, I’m sure it started much younger, which is alarming. Is there a problem at the child’s home? Does she not like being with her family? The next red flag was that the place that she really likes to go to, has a Dad that was accused of molestation. Regardless of the fact that he was accused by someone that doesn’t like him, he was still accused of molestation. The question that next comes to mind is if there is a link between the girl’s intense desire to sleepover at her friend’s house, and the fact that the Father of the friend was accused of molestation? The article stated that the Dad was found innocent based on the fact that his children were interrogated separately, but the article didn’t say if the child that was going over for sleepovers every weekend was interrogated. That is information the CPS should gather as well, and information that shouldn’t be hidden from the CPS, intentionally or not.