Washing Kids' Mouths Out Really Works!

Dr. Michelle Golland: It began when I called my mom a "scumbag." I was 12 and was now sitting in my bedroom in total fear, waiting for my dad to get home. My mom rarely told my dad when we did "bad" things, because she didn't want to deal with his anger and just found it easier to handle us on her own. But my use of the word "scumbag" (spoken in the sassiest of tones and with utter disdain for my mom while I stomped up our stairs) was such a grave offense that full backup was required, and I knew the consequence was going to be hard to swallow. I just didn't know it would be that difficult!

Soap

I heard the custom 1979 Chevy van pull up outside. I could then smell my dad's Kent cigarette wafting through the house while my mom told him the horrible story. They were standing in their bedroom down the hallway from me. My dad shouted, "Michelle, get in here now!" in that deep, harsh "dad" voice that could strike terror into anyone around him. He was standing at their vanity near their bathroom, and he said, "Go get that soap" and pointed toward the shower.

Now I wastruly horrified -- not because of his anger, but because of the disgusting used soap he was pointing at, which was a birthday gift I had given him four months earlier. It was Aramis soap on a rope! The irony was tragic, yet it fit the crime for sure! It was hanging there halfway used, gummy in a way that even now makes me sick to my stomach. I grabbed the rope as he turned on the sink water to get the soap nice and wet. Then he said, in that same scary voice, "Put it in your mouth, and never -- and I mean NEVER -- talk to your mother that way again."

Two things changed that day. One, I never ever did speak to my mom that way again. And two, to this day I can't eat ginger, because it tastes just like Aramis soap on a rope! Seriously, I will vomit if one tiny pink leafy piece is on my sushi.

What prompted me to recount this personal story, you may ask? Well, researchers recently found thatpeople who lie have the urge to wash out their "dirty" mouths afterward! Apparently,parents who -- like my father -- punish their kids for fibbing or saying "bad" things by washing their mouths out with soap may be on to something!

Researchers at the University of Michigan asked 87 students to pretend that they were either lying or telling the truth to a coworker, either by phone or e-mail.The subjects then had to rate how much they wanted certain products (either mouthwash or hand sanitizer), and say what they would be willing to pay for those particular items. Turns out, the students who had lied by phone felt a stronger urge to buy mouthwash, whereas those who'd lied via e-mail had a stronger desire for hand sanitizer. Students who were truthful had a lower desire for both products.The researchers concluded that the references for "dirty hands" or "dirty mouths" in our everyday language suggest that people think about abstract issues of moral purity in terms of more concrete experiences with physical purity.

As a parent, I would never do what my father did to me with the soap on a rope. But it was very effective!Moms, was your mouth ever "washed out" when you were a child? Would you ever do it to your own kid?

next: What to Expect When You're Divorcing
roof repair Philadelphia April 4, 2011, 3:51 PM

This website is pretty cool. How can I make one like this !?

HomeSolarPanels April 4, 2011, 8:35 PM

Thank you so much for publishing this!

gemstone jewellery April 4, 2011, 11:15 PM

Thank you for making the sincere attempt to discuss this. I believe very robust about it and would like to read more. If it’s OK, as you acquire extra in depth wisdom, could you mind including extra articles similar to this one with additional info? It would be extremely helpful and helpful for me and my friends.

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 7:52 AM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

BMW performance April 5, 2011, 8:55 PM

Grand poteau ! Merci pour prendre le temps d’écrire quelque chose qui est réellement en valeur la lecture. Trop souvent je trouve l’information inutile et pas quelque chose qui sont réellement appropriées. Merci pour votre dur labeur.

carpet cleaners April 5, 2011, 8:59 PM

I think that is an interesting point, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my thinking cap. Sometimes I get so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.

attract men April 6, 2011, 12:12 AM

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

customizable t-shirts April 6, 2011, 3:38 AM

Thanks for making the trustworthy try to provide an explanation for this. I think very sturdy about it and want to learn more. If it’s OK, as you attain more in depth wisdom, could you mind adding extra posts very similar to this one with additional information? It will be extraordinarily useful and useful for me and my colleagues.

program tv April 6, 2011, 5:48 AM

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

SolarEnergyForHome April 6, 2011, 10:23 AM

Your writing is exceptional and provides food for thought. I really hope that I’ll have more time to go through your content. Regards. I hope that you simply publish new texts and welcome for you to greet me

search engine optimisation April 6, 2011, 11:26 AM

Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.

notebooki April 6, 2011, 3:24 PM

Great job over again! Thanks:)

Anti-aging April 6, 2011, 5:08 PM

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored material stylish. however, you command get got an edginess over that you would like be handing over the following. ill definitely come more before again since precisely the similar just about very continuously within case you shield this hike.

Life Plus April 6, 2011, 8:10 PM

Have you thought about adding some videos to your article? I think it will really enhance my understanding.

las vegas stickers April 6, 2011, 9:09 PM

I was looking for this the other day. i dont usually post in forums but i wanted to say thank you!

bugatti veyron price April 6, 2011, 9:49 PM

Some genuinely nice and utilitarian info on this internet site , too I conceive the design contains wonderful features.

BioBasics April 6, 2011, 9:59 PM

Id like to say thanks for the time you took writing this article. This has been enlightening for me. Ive passed this on to a friend of mine.

Life Plus April 6, 2011, 10:40 PM

I’m getting a javascript error, is anyone else?

contemporary art paintings new york April 7, 2011, 6:12 AM

Useful information, many thanks to the author. It is puzzling to me now, but in general, the usefulness and importance is overwhelming. Very much thanks again and good luck!

Yohimbe Yohimbin HCL April 7, 2011, 11:45 AM

Kuckuck! Sie hosten hier einen tollen Weblog! Mich erfreut speziell das Layout und die Farben! Alles Gute weiterhin! Achja: Eventuell kannst Du auch ein mal auf meiner Seite rund um Yohimbin HCL & Yohimbe reinschauen? Yohimbe maximiert den Abbau von Körperfett und zählt zu den wirkungsvollsten Fatburner Stacks! Bis bald, Manni von Seibold