The Scary Truth about Cured Meats

Guest blogger Michelle Kemper Brownlow:My son was never a fan of meat, so I remember a conversation I had with my pediatrician about twelve years ago. I told him I knew hot dogs were bad news, but recently someone had offered my son a hot dog and he'd eaten the whole thing. Should I give him hot dogs so he gets that meat protein? The doctor said, and I quote, "Given the choice, he would be healthier not eating meat than having hot dogs." And that's when we became a once-in-a-blue-moon hot dog family. I have done research, especially when friends call me a "loon" for not having them in my fridge at all times.

kid eating hot dog
This came up recently when one of my children mentioned that a national sandwich chain was "healthy." Healthier than fast food, yes. Healthy on its own, no. On the Cancer Prevention Coalition website, you can read about a study done in L.A. between 1980 and 1987, on the intake of certain foods and the risk of leukemia in children from birth to age 10. The study found that children who ate more than 12 hot dogs per month had nine times the normal risk of developing childhood leukemia.

Nine times the normal risk?! It infuriates me that this information is not made public. You have to go looking for it to find the truth. The science behind this study shows that the nitrites used to preserve all cured meats and give them their fresh color turns to a carcinogen when the meat is cooked. The next time you are in the grocery store, pick up the meats you buy and check for "nitrites" on the ingredients list (it's usually near the end). This ingredient is not only in hot dogs, but lunchmeats, cured ham, kielbasa, bacon, pepperoni, beef jerky, sausage and some fish.

So, for busy moms, this sounds like a dinner-making nightmare, right? Well, it doesn't have to be. There are plenty of brands that offer nitrite-free meats. Hormel, for example, has a whole line of "natural" nitrite-free lunchmeats, and Oscar Mayer offers an All Natural Uncured All Beef Frank. These items are sold at many grocery stores around the country, including Walmart.

Yes, we are all busy, but do you have time for cancer? Read the labels. KNOW what your children are eating. I am headed to the fridge to throw away the lunchmeat my husband requested.

next: The Insanity of 'Traditional' Families
Homesolar April 2, 2011, 6:15 PM

Your website theme looks awesome. What layout did you use?

Leon Geise April 3, 2011, 8:31 AM

nineteen; one hundred forty

summer holidays April 3, 2011, 10:28 AM

Fantastic site you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get opinions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

Yeah bookmaking this wasn’t a speculative determination outstanding post! .

pond maintenance Boise April 3, 2011, 9:39 PM

Wonderful items from you, man. I have take note your stuff previous to and you are simply too wonderful. I really like what you’ve obtained right here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which during which you are saying it. You’re making it entertaining and you continue to care for to stay it wise. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. That is really a tremendous website.

Life Plus international April 3, 2011, 9:58 PM

I read somewhere that the average cost of a 30sec ad spot is around 300k, for that reason I would think that spending far less to get youtube style video that people want to watch is well worth the investment. If the prize money is 5k, do you know what the total cost to the client is?

vax för håret April 3, 2011, 10:08 PM

Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was searching for!

Solar Inverters April 4, 2011, 3:27 AM

Your publishing is good and gives food for thought. I hope that I’ll have more time to go through your content. Regards. I wish that you simply publish new texts and welcome you to greet me

fetisch April 4, 2011, 7:06 AM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve consider your stuff prior to and you are just too magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the best way wherein you assert it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a wonderful site.

rankpay review April 4, 2011, 12:13 PM

¡Gran poste! Gracias por tardar la época de escribir algo que está realmente digno de la lectura. Encuentro demasiado a menudo el Info inútil y no algo que es realmente relevante. Gracias por su trabajo duro.

employment application template April 4, 2011, 12:55 PM

Some truly interesting information, well written and generally user genial .

SolarPanels April 4, 2011, 8:20 PM

Your current writing is good and provides food for thought. I hope that I’ll get more time to go through your articles. Regards. I wish that you publish new texts and welcome you to greet me

Noble Soltau April 4, 2011, 9:31 PM

fifteen; one hundred

artikelkatalog April 5, 2011, 10:08 AM

I am always thought about this, regards for putting up.

nokia n900 April 5, 2011, 12:56 PM

%BLOGTITLE%, it is bullshit

FM Transfers April 5, 2011, 1:05 PM

I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours lately, but I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It is lovely price sufficient for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the web might be much more useful than ever before.

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 3:25 PM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

map houston April 5, 2011, 4:26 PM

I am impressed with this website , rattling I am a fan .

BMW news April 5, 2011, 8:48 PM

Hey mate, thanks 4 posting but this page doesn’t format correctly when using Safari it is showing only half the page.

carpet cleaning washington dc April 5, 2011, 9:16 PM

Intriguing , I wonder what the statistics are on your first point there…