The Scary Truth about Cured Meats

Guest blogger Michelle Kemper Brownlow:áMy son was never a fan of meat, so I remember a conversation I had with my pediatrician about twelve years ago. I told him I knew hot dogs were bad news, but recently someone had offered my son a hot dog and he'd eaten the whole thing. Should I give him hot dogs so he gets that meat protein? The doctor said, and I quote, "Given the choice, he would be healthier not eating meat than having hot dogs." And that's when we became a once-in-a-blue-moon hot dog family. I have done research, especially when friends call me a "loon" for not having them in my fridge at all times.

kid eating hot dog
This came up recently when one of my children mentioned that a national sandwich chain was "healthy." Healthier than fast food, yes. Healthy on its own, no. On the Cancer Prevention Coalition website, you can read about a study done in L.A. between 1980 and 1987, on the intake of certain foods and the risk of leukemia in children from birth to age 10. The study found that children who ate more than 12 hot dogs per month had nine times the normal risk of developing childhood leukemia.á

Nine times the normal risk?! It infuriates me that this information is not made public. You have to go looking for it to find the truth. The science behind this study shows that the nitrites used to preserve all cured meats and give them their fresh color turns to a carcinogen when the meat is cooked. The next time you are in the grocery store, pick up the meats you buy and check for "nitrites" on the ingredients list (it's usually near the end). This ingredient is not only in hot dogs, but lunchmeats, cured ham, kielbasa, bacon, pepperoni, beef jerky, sausage and some fish.á

So, for busy moms, this sounds like a dinner-making nightmare, right? Well, it doesn't have to be. There are plenty of brands that offer nitrite-free meats. Hormel, for example, has a whole line of "natural" nitrite-free lunchmeats, and Oscar Mayer offers an All Natural Uncured All Beef Frank. These items are sold at many grocery stores around the country, including Walmart.á

Yes, we are all busy, but do you have time for cancer? Read the labels. KNOW what your children are eating. I am headed to the fridge to throw away the lunchmeat my husband requested.

next: The Insanity of 'Traditional' Families
program tv April 6, 2011, 5:55 AM

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

how to get a girl April 6, 2011, 9:41 AM

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!

notebooki April 6, 2011, 5:26 PM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

I enjoy the efforts you have put in this, thanks for all the great articles .

BioBasics April 6, 2011, 11:52 PM

When are you going to post again? You really inform me!

xrumer April 7, 2011, 2:27 PM

I used to be suggested this website through my cousin. I am not sure whether this put up is written through him as no one else know such exact approximately my trouble. You’re amazing! Thank you!

article directory April 7, 2011, 10:35 PM

Thank you for making the trustworthy attempt to explain this. I believe very robust approximately it and would like to learn more. If it’s OK, as you attain extra intensive wisdom, might you mind including extra posts very similar to this one with additional info? It will be extremely helpful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

Marge22 April 7, 2011, 11:48 PM

Woah this is just an insane amount of information, must of taken ages to compile so cheers so much for just sharing it with all of us. If your ever in any need of related info, perhaps a bit of coaching, seduction techniques or just general tips, just check out my own site!

Mitchell A. Dawson April 8, 2011, 1:54 AM

Interesting

frostwire April 8, 2011, 6:43 AM

Good points?I would observe that as any individual who in reality doesn’t write on blogs so much (in truth, this may be my first publish), I don’t suppose the time period ‘lurker’ is very turning into to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in the slightest degree , but perhaps the blogosphere could get a hold of a better, non-creepy identify for the ninety% folks that experience studying the content .

cheap vegas packages best April 9, 2011, 3:10 AM

Some genuinely nice stuff on this web site , I love it.

apartments cairns April 9, 2011, 3:57 AM

One of the more impressive blogs Ive seen. Thanks so much for keeping the internet classy for a change. Youve got style, class, bravado. I mean it. Please keep it up because without the internet is definitely lacking in intelligence.

Extrem Fatburner April 9, 2011, 4:53 AM

Hey ho! Netter Newsblog! Wenn Fatburner Stacks wirken unterst├╝tzend beim gesunden Abbau von Depotfett! Lieben Dank!

Brooke O. Jones April 9, 2011, 5:50 PM