Tips on Taking Terrific Halloween Pictures

Guest blogger Ronda Kaysen: Taking great Halloween pictures of the kids all decked out in their spooky get-ups is no easy feat. You've got sugared-up tots to corral, difficult lighting to conquer and the pressure of trying to get the perfect image of a once-in-a-lifetime event.

woman holding camera

For help, momlogic sat down with Erin Nelson, owner of ErinLeigh Photography, a children's photography company in San Francisco. She gave us the lowdown on how to turn a challenging photo session into an opportunity for truly memorable pictures.

momlogic: Why is it so hard to take good Halloween pictures?

Erin Nelson: Part of it is that you feel under pressure because you realize it's not like snapshots in the bathtub: If you don't capture this event right away, the party's over. Try to remember that there are going to be a lot of events, a lot of Halloweens. Give yourself a break.

Halloween is also difficult because of the lighting. By the end of the night, you're losing light, but that can be to your advantage. Turn off your camera's flash and see what happens. Instead of the usual crisp images, you'll get some spooky effects that show motion and energy.

ml: How do you take pictures of kids who are way too excited to sit still for a camera?

EN: Sometimes it's best to roll with the occasion that's in front of you. Walk ahead of them and turn around rather than make them stop what they're doing. They're more excited and more unruly than usual. They're not made to sit still; you have to go where they are.

ml: If you were going to give parents one piece of advice, what would it be?

EN: Turn off the on-camera flash. The on-camera flash is a very blunt tool. It will always make pictures look flat. When you use the flash that's on the camera, it's like throwing this big blanket of light right in front of you. You lose the depth. It's startling.

ml: Any tips on how to get really creative shots?

EN: Try different angles. Hold the camera up high and point down for a bird's-eye view or crouch down low to see what your little pirates and princesses see. Get in close, then go wide. Go way ahead of your trick-or-treaters on the sidewalk, then turn around to capture them walking toward you.

ml: What if you get home, upload the pictures and don't find any that immediately catch your eye as keepers?

EN: Play around with your image-editing program. Experiment with a few photos to see if converting them to black-and-white improves them. Sometimes a so-so photo -- especially one with distracting background elements -- can actually become a great photo this way. But remember, not every picture is a "wow." Before you post your pictures online or make an album, choose only the ones that make you react out loud. Twenty terrific photos won't look as terrific if they're mixed in with eighty "OK" photos.

ml: How can a parent take great Halloween pictures without spending the entire night behind the camera?

EN: Pick and choose the moments that you're going to get a picture of and be selective about that. Watch what's going on and go where your eye leads you. Above all, it should be fun!

next: It's Not About the Weed, Man
Serban România Actualitati October 24, 2010, 3:49 AM

The devout cowboy lost his favorite Bible while he was mending fences out on therange.Three weeks later, a cow walked up to him carrying the Bible in its mouth. The cowboy couldn’t believe his eyes. He took the precious book out of tow’s mouth, raised his eyes heavenward and exclaimed, It’s a miracle!Not really, said the cow. Your name is written inside the cover.

valium December 1, 2010, 3:28 PM

Congratulations on having one of the most sophisticated blogs Ive come across in some time! Its just incredible how much you can take away from something simply because of how visually beautiful it is. Youve put together a great blog space —great graphics, videos, layout. This is definitely a must-see blog!

Curtains and Window Treatments January 13, 2011, 8:22 PM

Have to tell you, I truly had big fun at this webblog. i find it to be refreshing and very enlightening. wish there were other websites similar to it. Anyway, I felt it was about time I let you know, I am putting your site on my blogroll. Thanks once more for putting this online. I certainly enjoyed every part of it.

Belgrade January 13, 2011, 11:48 PM

As a Newbie, I am permanently browsing online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you

Rupert Fayard February 11, 2011, 1:31 AM

Stevenson replied, “Well, I kind of get upset because it doesn’t-it represents a part of me, but it doesn’t represent a whole of me.”

leave to remain  February 11, 2011, 2:04 AM

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable information to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

Miranda Thiery March 17, 2011, 6:43 AM

I’d come to okay with you here. Which is not something I typically do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Alveo March 22, 2011, 10:49 AM

Should I buy steel golf clubs or graphite ?

Gregory Despain March 23, 2011, 2:22 PM

[…]Some genuinely interesting information, well written and loosely user genial […]…

Shelton Eveleth March 29, 2011, 6:39 PM

I am continuously looking online for posts that can benefit me. Thanks!

Nicolette Emch March 30, 2011, 7:38 AM

There is visibly a bunch to identify about this. I suppose you made various good points in features also.

Paige L. Allison March 31, 2011, 3:08 AM

golf advice April 1, 2011, 9:12 AM

so much superb information on here, : D.

Joanna L. Block April 5, 2011, 7:15 AM

Hi there, - came upon your current webpage due to pure luck when drifting round the web this evening, and glad that I did! I like the design and style and colours, but I should say that I’m having problems when it loads. I’m using Safari 3 internet browser for mac, and the menu won’t lineup fully. i’m sure I’ve employed an identical layout on a company’s site, but the menu seems Ok on mine. I imagine the error is with my outdated browser and I’m guessing today’s the day to change for a better one!

Takisha Rymer April 6, 2011, 8:28 AM

Hello. impressive job. I did not imagine this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

Timothy O. Nolan April 9, 2011, 6:57 PM

Interesting

Vanetta Goold April 10, 2011, 5:20 AM

Keep working ,terrific job!

chicken pox scars April 10, 2011, 8:15 AM

I just could not depart your site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back often to check up on new posts

Oposiciones 2011 April 13, 2011, 6:26 AM

This really solved my problem, thank you!

louis vuitton wallet May 7, 2011, 2:48 PM

I notice you have not written one more weblog for a while?