Stop Buying Bottled Water!

Recession Mama Michele Ashamalla: What is the real cost of drinking bottled water? There is, of course, a huge cost to the environment -- making all those bottles, shipping all those bottles, disposing of all the trash (or, if we're lucky, recycling all those bottles) and then starting over again. Besides that, there are some pretty tangible financial costs as well.

bottled water
It always seemed like bottled water was pretty cheap (just a few bucks a case), and the price has been coming down. I would say a decent sale price on a case of twenty-four would be $4. I've seen it go as low as $3, but not that often. If you drink eight glasses of water a day (like we're all supposed to!), that would mean four sixteen-ounce bottles, which means a family of four would go through $973 worth of water in a year.In California, we pay an extra five cents per bottle as a recycling incentive, so that's an additional $292.

What about buying water at sporting events and restaurants? Those bottles go for between $1 and $4 each, depending on the venue, so if each member of a four-person family bought water while out twice a week, at an average of $2.50 per bottle, that would add an extra $110 a year. That's a total of $1,375!

On average, tap water costs two cents per gallon. For a family of four drinking eight glasses a day, that would come to four cents a day, or $14.60 a year. Buy some fancy stainless steel reusable bottles, and you're still saving $1,300 a year!

If you are concerned about the safety of your tap water, check your district's water-quality reports, which should be online on their websites. If you're not crazy about the taste, buy a $20 filter pitcher and some filters ($5 each on sale in multi-packs). If you change the filter every couple of months as recommended, you're out $50 for the pitcher and filters for the year, and still saving $1,250.

Remember: Many brands of bottled water come from "municipal sources," which is exactly where the stuff coming out of your tap is from ....

next: A Chat with 'Origins' Author Annie Murphy Paul
moth trap March 21, 2011, 7:25 PM

Thanks for an idea, you sparked at thought from a perspective I hadn’t given thoguht to before . Now lets see if I can do something productive with it.

jerseys cheap buy March 22, 2011, 12:02 AM

Fantastic submit. Extremely refreshing provided all the duplicate content material available. Cheers for performing something original.

htc droid March 22, 2011, 4:10 AM

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

buy bible movies March 22, 2011, 8:56 AM

Interesting. Will defintely be back

car loans for bad credit March 22, 2011, 12:15 PM

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

herr March 22, 2011, 2:42 PM

See, its good to finally see someone applying some reasonable logic to this. Thanks.

Gabriel Pattie March 22, 2011, 5:27 PM

Here’s a comment. Great advice =) Thanks

Job Finder March 22, 2011, 5:38 PM

F*ckin’ tremendous issues here. I am very happy to look your post. Thanks so much and i’m looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

marietta painters March 22, 2011, 5:58 PM

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Thanks a lot!

Jordans 1 Black And White March 23, 2011, 3:02 AM

Hello may I from some of the intelligence here in this entry if I identify with furtively to you?

cheap wedding dress March 23, 2011, 9:45 AM

I think I’ll alter to this blogengine program as it’s a whole lot nicer than mine.

expert credit March 23, 2011, 11:25 AM

Once I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any means you may remove me from that service? Thanks!

GPS tracker March 23, 2011, 3:03 PM

I believe that one of your advertisements triggered my internet browser to resize, you may well want to place that on your blacklist.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 23, 2011, 6:32 PM

Mate, you should be a writer. Your article is really good. You should do it for a living

evo 4g March 23, 2011, 7:12 PM

I think I will change to this blogengine system as it is a lot nicer than mine.

Jobs Finder March 23, 2011, 7:43 PM

Great points…I would note that as someone who really doesn’t comment to blogs much (in fact, this may be my first post), I don’t think the term “lurker” is very becoming to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault really , but perhaps the blogosphere could come up with a better, non-creepy name for the 90% of us that enjoy reading the posts.

Benz Forums March 23, 2011, 8:04 PM

Well, I don’t know if that’s going to work for me, but definitely worked for you! :) Excellent post!

loans car for bad credit March 23, 2011, 9:20 PM

Happy to hear! love your website and your style of writing! Maybe you will give me some tips.

tourism forums March 23, 2011, 10:47 PM

Definitely helpful articles. I enjoyed reading through it.

fitness March 23, 2011, 11:38 PM

This is really nice idea dude.iam really proud of you . Do u have twitter?? i want to follow you .thx