Who'll Raise Your Kids If You Die?

Guest blogger Kate Tuttle: OK, so it's a topic no parent wants to think about too deeply. But the idea of who would raise your children if you and their other parent both died is at the heart of a new romantic comedy opening this weekend. "Life As We Know It"stars the impossibly attractive Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel as battling singles who are forced to join forces, move into a picture-perfect house and raise a lovely little baby after the kid's parents die. And although the movie has a happy ending (as these movies must), it's pretty much a roadmap of what not to do.

Life as we know it
First off, godparents are not guardians -- unless, that is, you go to a lawyer and write a will in which you specify that they are your child's guardians. Simply asking someone to be a godparent, or even involving them in a church ceremony in which they promise to guide and support the child, does not cut it. If you die without a will, the state will quite happily award your children to the most logical next of kin, who could be a particularly loathsome mother-in-law or that cousin you barely know.

So really, everyone who has a child should visit a lawyer to talk about a will. Once there, most lawyers will advise parents to select guardians of at least two different kinds: those who will guard your child's estate and help manage his or her inheritance until the age of maturity, and those who will actually raise the child. If your child's guardians live far away, it's also wise to select a temporary guardian who can instantly take custody if needed. And although some parents do name multiple guardians to share the care of their children, it would be highly unusual to select two single people who hate each other but are both really super-hot and who you know will totally fall in love while bonding over poopy diapers. Unless, you know, your life is a Hollywood movie.

Under no circumstances should you select guardians, name them in your will, then forget to tell or ask them about it (as happens in the movie). Seriously, this is worth a phone call. If you love and respect someone enough to entrust them with your child in the worst-case hypothetical of your death, can't you manage to have this conversation with them? Guardians should not be shocked to find out they are guardians!

The movie looks cute as can be, but parents who go see it for their date night this weekend should be advised: Don't do what they do. If you haven't already, go see your lawyer and make sure your children are protected if the worst should happen.

next: Jon Gosselin Fights to Keep Kids out of Spotlight!
Zita Nauss April 6, 2011, 7:47 AM

I am continually invstigating online for articles that can aid me. Thx!

Anti-aging April 6, 2011, 5:59 PM

F*ckin’ tremendous issues here. I am very happy to peer your article. Thanks a lot and i’m looking ahead to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

life plus products April 6, 2011, 6:33 PM

How do you make this site look this sick. Email me if you get the chance and share your wisdom. I’d appreciate it.

Life Plus April 6, 2011, 9:45 PM

Brilliant, thanks, I will visit again soon.

miami hotels on collins ave April 6, 2011, 11:16 PM

Yes, i am glad that your asking us to know our opinion.

BioBasics April 7, 2011, 5:32 AM

This really solved my problem, thank you!

xrumer April 7, 2011, 2:42 PM

I am now not certain where you are getting your info, however great topic. I needs to spend a while studying much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I used to be on the lookout for this information for my mission.

business listings April 7, 2011, 10:08 PM

Thank you for making the sincere effort to discuss this. I believe very sturdy approximately it and wish to learn more. If it’s OK, as you acquire more extensive wisdom, might you mind adding extra articles similar to this one with additional information? It might be extraordinarily helpful and helpful for me and my friends.

Morgan Chestand April 8, 2011, 1:44 AM

I’m pleased with how you’ve dealth with this issue in such a concise way. I found your website although searching via Google and I’ll need to admit that I’ve subscribed to it already.

Ephedrine HCL Fatburner April 8, 2011, 3:22 AM

Grüß Gott! Ich bin über AOL zu diesem Weblog gestoßen und will auch eine Notiz hier lassen. Mir gefällt das Template ausgesprochen gut und ich werde gerne in Kürze wiederkommen. Ich wäre erfreut, wenn dir dir auch meine Web Site mit dem Topic Ephedrine besehen würdest. Ephedra Ergänzungen sind der beste Fatburner für schnelle Fettverbrennung. Besten Dank und alles Gute!

Caroline I. Wiggins April 8, 2011, 7:33 AM

SolarPanelSystems April 8, 2011, 10:38 AM

Hi, there - I must say, I’m impressed with your site. I had little difficulty navigating through all of the loss and info was very easy to gain access to. I found things i wanted in no time at all. Pretty great. Would be thankful should you add discussion boards or something, it would be the perfect method for your customers to interact. Great job!

create craft ideas April 8, 2011, 5:02 PM

fantastic issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What may you suggest in regards to your put up that you just made some days in the past? Any sure?

SolarPanelsAtHome April 8, 2011, 11:06 PM

Seriously might I reference examples of the insight located in this entry if I reference you together with a link back to your site?

Elvin Faunce April 10, 2011, 5:17 AM

Great website! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also

Lokaty May 27, 2011, 8:29 AM

One thing I’ve noticed is always that there are plenty of misguided beliefs regarding the banks intentions any time talking about foreclosure. One misconception in particular is that often the bank wants your house. The lending company wants your hard earned money, not your property. They want the funds they loaned you with interest. Averting the bank will undoubtedly draw the foreclosed conclusion. Thanks for your post.