Why Tony Hawk Rocks

momlogic's Julie:The best day of my son's life? When he met Tony Hawk last weekend ....

Why Tony Hawk Rocks

We were invited to a party for The Tony Hawk Foundation's Stand Up For Skateparks. Tony Hawk: SHRED Presents Stand Up For Skateparks is the annual fundraiser benefitting the Tony Hawk Foundation and its mission to create free, quality skateparks for at-risk youth throughout the U.S. Now that's a mission I can get behind!

My kids (ages 6 and 9) couldn't believe their eyes when they entered the action-sports carnival. There were activities, games, kid-friendly food and a vert demo by Tony and other top skateboarding and BMX pros (like Mat Hoffman, who's from my home state of Oklahoma -- LOVE HIM) on Tony's personal ramp. The demo was almost rained out, but thankfully the rain subsided. The demo was incredible!

The event was held in the backyard of a big mansion, and the musical guest for the event was Jane's Addiction. I never thought I would hear one of my fave bands play in a backyard ... it was totally surreal, and took me back to my Lollapalooza days. They were great!

The event also featured a silent auction. I had to laugh when I noticed I'd outbid David and Victoria Beckham on an item. That will be the first and last time I will ever be able to outbid them on ANYTHING, I'm sure. It was cool rubbing elbows with celebs.

My son was thrilled when we bid on and won a BMX bike autographed by Tony Hawk. This was better than Christmas and his birthday all rolled into one!

At the event, Holden got to try out the "Tony Hawk: SHRED" video game, which goes on sale next week. He loved it! We also own "Tony Hawk: RIDE" (which was his "big" gift from Santa last year), and Holden says "SHRED" rates right up there with that one. You can even snowboard in this new game. My son fell in love with snowboarding in Park City, so he was super psyched about that.

At the end of the event, we saw Tony getting into his car and my son ran over for a picture. Tony Hawk high-fived him, and Holden said, "I'm never washing this hand again." LOL.

Thanks, Tony, for making kids' dreams come true ... including mine.

The Tony Hawk Foundation brings quality, accessible skateparks to youth in 463 communities nationwide. Individuals wishing to support Tony Hawk's Long Beach McBride Skatepark project can still contribute. Text the word RIDE to 90999 via your mobile phone to donate $10 to the Tony Hawk Foundation. Through October 30, 2010, all text donations will directly support the McBride Skatepark project in Long Beach, California.

next: Don't Just Save ... Earn!
Erika October 22, 2010, 11:29 AM

For any parents who know their sons, and daughters, love Tony Hawk but cant do a meet and greet with him, should consider getting one of these certified authentic hand-signed Tony Hawk skateboard decks exclusively signed by Tony at SteinerSports.com. http://www.steinersports.com/tony-hawk

Gill October 22, 2010, 12:37 PM

I find this article to be inspiring. I want to now make sure my kids get something to make them feel encouraged to peruse their hobbies.

JC October 22, 2010, 2:14 PM

How cool that he got to meet Tony Hawk. I can’t wait for my son to play Shred. He looks up to Tony Hawk and I think it is so nice that Tony Hawk builds skate parks for underprivileged kids.

nolan ryan ruiz March 4, 2011, 4:25 PM

tony I knew u when I was two I still know u and Im 10 but u toght me to skate I tell all my freinds about u I even started my own skate club email me at streettacoracing @yahoo.com but tell my dad dont delete this becase nolan ruiz your son whants to here it ps.tell ryan I said hi bye tony

Otha Zampaglione March 16, 2011, 9:23 PM

This post appears to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It gives a nice individual twist on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to give info on is the most important factor.

Chris A. Saunders March 25, 2011, 3:39 AM

Effective

Louise I. Pitts March 25, 2011, 5:01 AM

dofollow links March 29, 2011, 12:55 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

dofollow trackbacks plugin March 29, 2011, 2:27 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Farah Appleton March 29, 2011, 6:31 PM

Very well written story. It will be valuable to anyone who employess it, including myself. Keep doing what you are doing - i will definitely read more posts.

Computer Repair March 30, 2011, 10:11 PM

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

colorado communities March 30, 2011, 10:50 PM

Großer Pfosten! Dank für das Nehmen der Zeit, etwas zu schreiben, das wirklich wert Messwert ist. Zu häufig finde ich unbrauchbares Info und nicht etwas, das wirklich relevant ist. Dank für Ihre harte Arbeit.

top runway fashion March 30, 2011, 10:54 PM

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this put up and if I may I wish to recommend you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I desire to learn more things about it!

electronics March 30, 2011, 11:41 PM

I’ll immediately grab your rss feed as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

Cynthia O. Cooper March 31, 2011, 3:02 AM

Very helpful

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 2:01 PM

Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this website.

Yohimbin HCL und Ephedrin HCL April 1, 2011, 3:38 AM

Guten Tag! Sie besitzen hier einen wundervollen Weblog! Mir gefällt besonders das Layout sowie die Colour! Alles Gute! MfG, Angelike T. Urbach

program tv April 1, 2011, 6:49 AM

Excellent article it is definitely. We have been awaiting for this tips.

Homesolar April 1, 2011, 3:37 PM

Hi, there - I have to admit, I’m impressed using your site. I have little difficulty navigating through all of the tabs and information was very easy to gain access to. I found things i wanted very quickly whatsoever. Pretty awesome. Would appreciate it if you add forums or something, it might be a perfect method for your customers to interact. Congrats!

lyme disease April 1, 2011, 5:58 PM

outstanding post! great advice, will take on board!