13-Year-Old Has Full-Sleeve Tat!

momlogic's Vivian: Photos surfaced all around the blogosphere, like right here on BuzzFeed, of a 13-year-old Russian kid with a full-sleeve tattoo! Check it!

13yrold-full-sleeve-tatoo-450.jpg

Mind you, the kid's dad is a tattoo artist.

As a tattooed mom, I happen to be of the opinion that 13 is still WAY young for a single tat, let alone a full sleeve. First of all, the kid is still growing, and there's a good chance his tats will get distorted when he reaches his full height. Second, I got an ankle tattoo in my early 20s that I still regret, but I believe I was old enough to make that choice and live with the consequences. That said, I think the legal age of 18 for tattoos here in the U.S. is fair, even though I believe that 18 is barely old enough to make a decision you can live with for a lifetime.

Most tattoo studios are rather fastidious about laws concerning age and hygiene. However, there's always someone ready to break the law, for whatever reason. Just a few years back, an Indiana tattoo artist was put behind bars for tattooing a 4-year-old! Now that's just plain old sadistic!

What do you guys think? When it comes to getting tattooed, how old should the legal age be? And can you imagine how challenging it would be for our teenaged girls to come up with a tasteful option for masking their "Bieber Forever" tats?

next: From Chatty Cathy to Drama Debbie
tysmom November 17, 2010, 8:53 AM

To each his own BUT I feel that tattooing is like cosmetic surgery and thus should be delayed until the child is fully grown (usually 18-20). Disclaimer: I had both a tattoo and rhinoplasty at the age of 17. Like the author I regret the tattoo.
This case is a tough one because the child clearly likes his tattoos and obviously there was parental consent but I wonder if it’s his taste or his dads….I personally wouldn’t make that choice for my child nor allow him to at such a young age but we make cosmetic/medical decisions for our kids all the time: pierced ears and circumcision to name a few. Of course these are more socially excerpted and not really blog worthy but really, what is the difference?

tysmom November 17, 2010, 9:01 AM

how did “accepted” turn into “excerpted”? Better get some more coffee…!!!

MommyLisa November 17, 2010, 9:02 AM

Oh come on. Is that really tats - or just practice sharpie work by the dad -or the kid.

Christina November 17, 2010, 9:36 AM

If the dad really is a tattoo artist, then he knows full well that his son’s growth over the next few years will likely completely distort his current body art. I am really hoping this is a gag. I love tats and have some myself, but I think it is something that definitely needs to be put off until adulthood.

KS November 17, 2010, 1:17 PM

Well being that this is Russia I just kind of have to shake my head and say well at least he isn’t drowning puppies. If any of our children come home with a tattoo as a minor it will be removed via laser at no cost to them. Our children will be well aware of this so I hope it is a deterrent.

Rachel Humphrey November 17, 2010, 1:35 PM

I just had to comment. I agree this shouldn’t be a choice a person under 18 should be able to make. They shouldn’t be able to get one under 18 at all. I don’t think they know how this will effect their lives.
I also want to comment on the last comment by KS. I agree with you only difference is not only will it be removed but it will be at a cost to them. They at some point will be told not to get one and when they do it anyway they will pay to have it removed.

Anonymous November 17, 2010, 3:42 PM

Absolutely repulsive. This child should be taken out and the parents charged with child abuse! There is no way he is going to want those 10 years from now.

Anonymous November 17, 2010, 6:37 PM

I got my first tattoo when I was going on 13 yrs old, I dont regret getting a tattoo, i just think that I would have gotten something different had I waited til I was older. I am now wanting to get it covered up. When I have kids, I don’t think I would tell them the age of when I got my first tattoo, I would want them to wait til they are older, so they dont regret what they get.

Conservative November 18, 2010, 6:03 AM

I hate tattoo’s. I think they look awful at any age. To each his/her own …but that kids looks silly!

Conservative November 18, 2010, 6:19 AM

The kid is a good looking kid … so honestly, now that I think about it … tattoo or no tattoo, this kid is going to be fine. He’s just cute! I’m kind of going with the tattoo’s now and normally they gross me out. I guess it is his heart that matters, not his outward appearance. If he likes the tattoo, then be it. Let it shine.

Becky November 18, 2010, 9:07 AM

It’s plain and simple CHILD ABUSE!!!!

Amy November 18, 2010, 9:12 AM

I love reading the judgement oozing from these holier than thou commenters.

I would not want my 13 year old to have tattoos but I’m me. I don’t butt into other people’s lives.

I do like the idea of telling your kids if they get a tattoo as a minor that it will be lazered off. That would have made me think a bit.

Most of my friends are very successful and we ALL have tattoos. Having one doesn’t mean you are dirty, unrespectable or uneducated. In my group of friends, quite the opposite actually.

I think people need to mind their own business, winded your glass house & take care of your own families. It’s none of your business what this family does and I guarantee you they could care less what you think.

AEG November 18, 2010, 9:41 AM

I agree with Amy. It is truly none of our business what these parents do with their child. the decision remains with the parents and the child. no I wouldn’t let my son get a tattoo at 13 but when he is 18 years old, if he still wants it go ahead, he is legally an adult and can do what he wants. Your body is your own and only you can determine how you want to treat it, no one else.

Melissa November 18, 2010, 2:27 PM

As a heavily tattooed mom myself and the wife of a tattoo artist, I can say that there is no way my husband would ever tattoo our kids underage (or anyone, for that matter)….quite the opposite, actually. He doesn’t want them tattooed at all! I agree, to each his own and it’s none of our business really….but if I got the tattoos I wanted at that age, I would now be stuck with some really horible tattoos! I am definitely of the mindset that the age restrictions are in place for a reason and that it’s a decision that should be made when one is a responsible adult.

Puzzled November 18, 2010, 6:06 PM

I think that even at 18 people get tattoos that they later regret, so definitely at 13, I am betting he will later wish he hadn’t.
It is none of my business though. I just have to worry about my own kiddos and make sure they don’t do it, lol. Hopefully I can reason with them and tell them how they may not want this same thing forever (but truthfully, can kids be reasoned with, some, but not all).
I thought this was an interesting post.

John Doe November 18, 2010, 7:02 PM

THAT IS AWESOME! I’m a teacher and think it’s great to see kids with tattoos! FINALLY!

Anonymous November 18, 2010, 7:29 PM

im full of tats. and they are very painful. i have them from my face, hands back arms and in every spot that could hurt the most. i also an a father of 3 but have only 1 son. i just think that the tattoos are not real if they were and the father did them he should be shot in his head for being dad of the year. that alot of work on such a little dude its b… s…

abby November 19, 2010, 1:28 PM

I’m 15 years old and I got a tattoo 2 weeks after my 14th birthday so I’ve had it for a little over a year now. I don’t regret my choice because I put it in a place (lower back) that nobody can see unless I want them to and it’s just a small purple flower so no story behind it I just like it…Yes my parents know, I asked them and they said yes, they aren’t bad parents they just know me and know that I get good grades (straight A high honors student with multiple awards to prove it) and I’m respectful and nice. I don’t drink or do drugs, I’m not a bully, I’m the exact opposite, I try to be nice to everyone I meet. You shouldn’t judge people, its wrong and a form of bullying which all of you, I’m assuming are against. My mom has 6 tattoos and my dad has one. My aunts, uncles, older sisters and some cousins even have a couple…They’re all great people, smart and kind and we’re a very close family…I’m done growing height wise because I haven’t grown in 2 years and your back doesnt really change as much as the rest of your body even if you gain weight, it would have to be alot to make a difference so I’m good…maybe he should of waited but its not a choice or judgment any of you can make because its not your kid…deal with your own kids

Reed Fryar November 21, 2010, 8:41 AM

I got my first tattoo when I was fifteen, and although I loved it then, I did regret it when I turned 18 and wanted to get a larger back piece as a memorial to my deceased stepfather, because that little chinese symbol was in the way. That being said, I only got the tattoo because it was a TATTOO, not because it really meant anything to me. Most times, when you’re under 18 and getting a tattoo, it’s not because it means anything or is something that you really want for the rest of your life. It’s just because you want to be “cool.” What personal meaning does a purple flower hold to you that was so important to express that you couldn’t wait until you were 18?

Minors getting tatted up = DUMB.

Jessica November 22, 2010, 12:50 PM

Let me just start by saying, I’m 19 years old. BUT, when I was 12-13 years old, I knew without a doubt that I wanted tattoos. Not because they were “cool” or “rebellious” but I wanted to artistically display an aspect of my inner self on my skin. If this 13 yo is mature enough and certain enough that this is what they want (and the parents are okay with it) I see no problem. Everyone, the media, celebrities, therapists, are telling kids to express themselves, to be true to who they really are. Why are tattoos suddenly an abhorrent way to express yourself??