13-Year-Old Has Full-Sleeve Tat!

momlogic's Vivian: Photos surfaced all around the blogosphere, like right here on BuzzFeed, of a 13-year-old Russian kid with a full-sleeve tattoo! Check it!

13yrold-full-sleeve-tatoo-450.jpg

Mind you, the kid's dad is a tattoo artist.

As a tattooed mom, I happen to be of the opinion that 13 is still WAY young for a single tat, let alone a full sleeve. First of all, the kid is still growing, and there's a good chance his tats will get distorted when he reaches his full height. Second, I got an ankle tattoo in my early 20s that I still regret, but I believe I was old enough to make that choice and live with the consequences. That said, I think the legal age of 18 for tattoos here in the U.S. is fair, even though I believe that 18 is barely old enough to make a decision you can live with for a lifetime.

Most tattoo studios are rather fastidious about laws concerning age and hygiene. However, there's always someone ready to break the law, for whatever reason. Just a few years back, an Indiana tattoo artist was put behind bars for tattooing a 4-year-old! Now that's just plain old sadistic!

What do you guys think? When it comes to getting tattooed, how old should the legal age be? And can you imagine how challenging it would be for our teenaged girls to come up with a tasteful option for masking their "Bieber Forever" tats?

next: From Chatty Cathy to Drama Debbie
Frances Forsythe December 6, 2010, 5:22 PM

i don’t think you should be allowed to get a tattoo at that young age. for one thing you don’t know what you want out of life yet and its not something a child even understands at that age. I got my first tattoo in my thirty’s and I still didn’t get them where they can be seen unless I want them to be seen. Its just not right.

Megan December 11, 2010, 1:24 AM

I knew from the age of 10 that I wanted tattoos. I got my first tattoo at age 19, a tribute to my father who died when I was 11. My younger sister had gotten the same tattoo when she was 16 (I was 18) and my younger brother got the same tattoo on his 17th birthday 6 months ago, with our mothers permission. My Mum always told us to wait 6 months after picking a tattoo design before getting it done, although 4 of my tattoos were not spur of the moment, but they were decided upon and tattooed on me within a month. I’m 21 now and I have 7 tattoos including two large tattoos on my thighs that took 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 hours to do, none of which I regret. I live in New Zealand where there is no legal age to get a tattoo, but most tattooists won’t tattoo anyone younger than 18 without parents permission, and no one under 16 even with parents permission.

Busch Gardens In Tampa Florida December 12, 2010, 12:15 AM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

Jay Purdy January 8, 2011, 11:47 AM

Speaking as a tattoo artist, first off, you can tell that these tattoos are in fact real. Now I understand that we need to make a living and that we love the progression in the art of tattooing over recent years, but there’s some things tattoo artists shouldn’t be doing….this being one of them. The main reason the legal age in most states is 18 is because of the risks in the tattoo stretching as the teenager grows. Now as far as I’m concerned, if they can’t even keep their rooms clean, how can they properly take care of a tattoo?!

Anonymous February 5, 2011, 6:45 PM

@tysmom: Circumcision is NOT socially acceptable and IS worth blogging about. I find it apalling that you show such a dismissive attitude towards the mutilation of children.

As for the boy above, I’d say the only reason he should have waited is because it will distort over time.

Me February 7, 2011, 4:46 PM

It’s not child abuse unless the child is forced to have them done. It is not right for anyone to say these are bad parents or good parents for allowing this to occur. They are being the parents that they want to be and we should not be allowed to chastise for decisions they make about their children.

dark brown hair with red lowlights February 17, 2011, 3:33 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

red dresses under 20 dollars March 28, 2011, 4:17 AM

If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair.