All I Want for Christmas Is a Tummy Tuck

Anonymous: Some women will be asking their husbands for an iPad this Christmas. Or maybe a spa day. Or maybe they're hoping they'll walk outside Christmas Day and find a huge-ass red bow on a Lexus, just like the commercial.

woman belly
Me? I want a tummy tuck.

My body's pretty resilient, but even it just can't recover from two pregnancies in which I gained over seventy pounds. (I watched what I ate -- I SWEAR!) Even though I've been back at my healthy pre-pregnancy weight for over two years, I still fight each day with the flat tire of skin that sits where my taut tummy used to be. And my belly button? Don't even get me started. It hasn't been the right shape since the day my firstborn came screaming into this world.

I've researched the surgeons, gotten my consultations and have made peace with the fact that you get that long-ass scar. Now all I need is for my husband to sign off on it, so I can stop wearing those high-rise bikinis.

When it came time to put our Christmas lists together, he listed golf clubs; I listed surgery. But I have a feeling only one of us is going to get what we want. And judging from the fact that my tummy tuck is, oh, about FIVE THOUSAND dollars out of our usual gift-giving budget, I think I may have to settle for a good pair of SPANX.

Maybe next year, right?

next: This Week: Top 10 Stories Moms Are Talking About
Layla November 21, 2010, 6:32 AM

The photo that goes with this article only reinforces my “drooling.” I, too, would LOVE this for Christmas, but at this point, even Spanx is probably out of our budget! Lol, plus I’m actually pregnant again right now, so it will be awhile before I can even dream about this stuff. My list is a bit more ambitious (read: unrealistic) than yours: tummy tuck, boob lift, and nose job. There are other areas on my body that could use some work, but the three I mentioned aren’t going to change without some extra help. Siiiiiigh.

Anonymous November 21, 2010, 6:32 AM

Selfish, vacuous nonsense.

Anonymous November 21, 2010, 10:02 AM

Anyone who’s ever enjoyed a post-baby belly wishes for a tummy tuck. After 3 pregnancies, 2 of which were c-sections, I’ve made peace with the fact that the tire around my hips where they did the section isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. But really, with kids, who has time to recover from a tummy tuck? Maybe when it’s time to play grandma…

Ann Onymous November 21, 2010, 10:03 AM

You can wear a bikini? Then guess what? You don’t need a tummy tuck. So tired of thin people who complain about not having a “perfect” flat stomach. Wearing a bikini can only happen in my dreams despite my best efforts. So get over it. You had a flat tummy, chose to have kids & can STILL don a bikini. Be grateful.

KS November 21, 2010, 10:29 AM

After weaning my fourth child from the breast I went and had my breast augmented. I’m here to tell you it was the best thing I’ve ever done for MYSELF. I now feel completely happy about my entire body.

We ladies give up our bodies willingly to pregnancy and so many of us do not get back what we once had no matter how many hours we put in at the gym. If this will make you feel good about your shape again go for it. Your husband should be supportive because if your happy and confident in your body it will only positively affect him.

ljf November 22, 2010, 8:16 AM

after having 16 lbs of twins with both at 21.5 inches — followed by hernia repair and then a 10.1 oz 22 inch singleton, my tummy is not just covered in crazy skin but my abs separated by like 3 inches and have never come back together. I really need surgery but it’s so freaking expensive. Sigh.

PAMELA GONSALVES November 22, 2010, 7:43 PM

OH BOY JUST WHAT I NEED. WHERE ISMY FAIRY GODMOTHER. DO I GET MY WISH I LOST A TOOTH. THANKS.

Arkravan November 22, 2010, 11:41 PM

Hopefully you get one next year, there’s nothing wrong with surgery if you’ve tried everything you can to get the body you’re happy with.

Just because you had a baby and want to lose the weight doesn’t give other woman the right to look down on you.

It’s your body, do what you want with it.

Anonymous November 23, 2010, 3:20 AM

I would love to have a flat stomach again. I know I would think twice before I would have a tummy tuck. I have heard horror stories from people who have had it done. It is very painful & the healing process is none to pretty.

jonaD November 23, 2010, 5:39 AM

Forget the tummy tuck, the scar is incredibly horrible! Instead look on Ebay for a Tripolar/Cavitation Device, they go for about $2000. and you can get part of that back from your girlfriends who will want the results you’ll get. The ultrasonic cavitation opens the fat cells and dumps the fat into your bloodstream, so you do not want to overload your liver, so go slow… it’ll take about 3 months to trim off about 15 lbs. of actual fat, and it will not come back, although other cells can become bloated so a diet and exercise is essential. Now, once the fat is emptied… the tripolar RF during the same time period will contract the skin, same rate as loosing the fat. Cellulite and stretch mark visibility will be reduced, and you MUST diet and exercise to get the tone and muscles to look good. DO NOT PUSH IT TOO FAST… every time you blast the fat, you must give it around 72 hours for your collagen to tighten up.

Tony November 23, 2010, 6:04 AM

See what happens when a woman has a baby. Many end up with a body that a hubby hates. This will drive a man to another woman who has a nice body and who is good at sex. A fat cow can not have good sex.
What a price a woman pays to be foolish and have a baby.

Nicole November 23, 2010, 6:10 AM

I did it! The scar sucks, but I love that I finally have the body I’ve worked out so hard to get but couldn’t. I had all that crazy loose skin and the separated muscle. The recovery wasn’t that bad. I’m so happy I did it, and so is my husband! He’s totally reaping the benefits of me having some self-confidence.

Karen November 23, 2010, 7:52 AM

Tony, what the hell — what the heck are you doing on this site? Surely if you are a father I would have thought you’d have some compassion for the mothers who actually carry and give birth to the babies. Maybe until you mature you should try the playboy website!

Joni November 23, 2010, 7:55 AM

Yeah, this is one of the many reasons I have for remaining childfree. We’re going to adopt if we want children— no sense in ruining a perfectly good body, and with the number of children without families out there— we can do some good in the world without mindlessly adding our genes to the gene pool in the form of mini-mes. I often think that most people who end up with kids got there because of too much wine and a faulty condom— the surgeries smack of buyer’s remorse.

whitney November 23, 2010, 8:45 AM

i know exactly how you feel i gained almost 70 lbs. with my first and only about 35 with my second i am back down at 107 but my stomach, ugh i could make another baby with all the skin there it’s depressing. I would love a tummy tuck. i know i’m not huge but i use to wear bikinis and now i try to find cute one pieces but not fun for me

Melissa November 23, 2010, 9:51 AM

I know people who had it done and they LOVE IT! They don’t regret it at all and felt that it made them more confident and happier with their self-image, not that they suffered from low self esteem before. So, I hope you get that $5,000. I plan to go on a diet and exercise off some excess pounds and then consider a T.T. to rid the extra skin that won’t shrink. It is frustrating to exercise a lot and the whole body responds except that pouch that won’t go away!!

quesadilla November 23, 2010, 12:33 PM

Get over yourself. Your “life” ended when your child’s began. You don’t get to pretend it’s all about you anymore (by the way, it never was). Grow up and take care of your children. That’s what grownups do with their incomes.

Incidentally, if you want a flatter belly, get out with your kids and exercise. Anything that is worth having (in the adult world) is worth working for. If you want something good for your family, ACT LIKE IT.

quesadilla November 23, 2010, 12:43 PM

To Tony:
For you to know that, you yourself must be a fat cow. Well, you have incredibly nimble hooves to be able to type as well as you do.
If a man hates his wife’s body, then he does not love her. Her body is “part of the package.”
You must be an adulterer yourself, to stick up for adulterers. Nice going, jerk-hole.
ramblingfocusforintellectuals.blogspot.com

Danielle November 23, 2010, 1:09 PM

Really? Some of your comments are so off the mark that I would bet a Tummy Tuck the best part of you was left running down your mom’s leg! Really, who the hell says that having a tummy tuck is wrong, selfish or takes away from the family or makes one a bad parent. Tummy tucks are mostly about women who have extra skin from pregnancy and skin that usually tends to hurt, burn or sting after c-sections. So for any of you who take a negative issue with it, go to another site and “blog” your uneducated comments for someone else to read!

Mom November 23, 2010, 1:25 PM

Tony is a troll. What guy blogs on a women’s forum? Yup, a misogynistic loser troll.