Chicken Apple Sausage with Butternut Kale Pasta

Susannah Locketti: This dish was inspired by the sausage I found at my grocery store last week. I taste-tested it and loved the sweet yet salty flavor complemented with a little hint of maple. The sausage is precooked (saves tons of time) and came in a four-pack for a little over five bucks.

Chicken Apple Sausage with Butternut Kale Pasta
I decided to pair the sausage with a bag of frozen, cubed butternut squash (love that all the work is done for me), along with a bag of frozen chopped kale. Both were on sale at my grocery store this week. A box of large elbows on sale completed my shopping for this quick and easy dish. It only needed two other ingredients which we all have in our pantry: olive oil and Parmesan cheese.

Chicken Apple Sausage with Butternut Kale Pasta
Serves 4 to 6

8 ounces large elbow pasta
1 bag frozen, cubed butternut squash
1 TB chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
1 bag frozen chopped kale
2 chicken apple sausages, sliced into thin rounds
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

Method
While the pasta is boiling, heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butternut squash, season with salt and pepper and toss for a few minutes until softened. Add the rosemary and toss again. Add the sausage and kale to the pan. Season again with salt and pepper and toss the mixture until heated through. Drain the pasta and add to the butternut mixture. Add remaining 1/4 olive oil and toss gently until thoroughly combined. Season to taste and serve with Parmesan cheese.

Susannah's Time- and Money-Saving Sense
The precooked sausage is an obvious timesaver; just heat and eat ... love that! Buying the veggies frozen and pre-prepped was another timesaver. They also happened to be on sale, which worked out great. I happen to grow rosemary, which is why I used it in this recipe. No biggie if you are without it. You could also substitute thyme or oregano. A well-stocked pantry should always have a nice olive oil and Parmesan cheese on hand. Garlic would also work well in this dish; if you have a few cloves, add them in with the butternut squash. To make this dish vegetarian and still stay within budget, feel free to substitute a can of cannellini beans for the sausage.

next: I Used To Be Cool
Sarah B November 4, 2010, 8:12 AM

I usually really like your ideas, but I’m sorry, this sounds AWFUL! What child will eat this? What husband will eat this? This dinner will not end up on my table :(

bilety-BeassumFews November 4, 2010, 8:58 AM

Hello everybody, hope to know eachother better in near future :)

bilety lotnicze

Kate W. November 7, 2010, 7:55 PM

I made this tonight, and I thought it was really good. The kale and the butternut squash went very well together. It easy to make, although I wish the amounts had been specified better. I wasn’t able to get “a bag” of frozen chopped kale or “a bag” of butternut squash, so I had to use fresh and guess how much was needed. I ended up making a double batch and using two skillets to handle it all. Now we could feed an army! My husband liked it too, but unfortunately not my 2 1/2 year old. She protested against the kale, which touched everything so she wouldn’t eat it. If I make it again, I will set aside some of the squash and sausage mixture for her before the kale gets added. I think she would eat it then. I will probably make this again.

UK Student Visas  February 10, 2011, 7:19 PM

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.

Cheap Conveyancing quotes February 15, 2011, 1:04 PM

It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

gay boys community March 4, 2011, 2:57 AM

The family that prays together stays together.

Shanta Digby March 29, 2011, 5:10 AM

Terrific page,I do think you have without a doubt gained a site I would like to read up on weekly. Many thanks.