Cop Mom Promoted after Fancy Gun Work at Beauty Parlor!

momlogic's Vivian: This mom ROCKS!

Feris 'Jonesy' Jones

Off-duty 20-year police vet Feris "Jonesy" Jones was getting her hair done at a Brooklyn hair salon when an armed robber, 19-year-old Winston Cox, busted onto the premises and told the women to go into the bathroom while he helped himself to their valuables.

The story goes that Cox, armed with a .44 Magnum, entered the shop shouting, "This ain't no joke! This is a robbery! I will kill you!" at four women, including Officer Jones, another customer, the salon owner and an employee.

Keeping her cool, the 50-year-old police officer and mom told the three other women in the salon to lie on the bathroom floor, then pulled out her weapon and identified herself as a cop. The robber shot at her from only 12 feet away and missed, prompting Jones to shoot the gun out of his hand. She then shot the doorknob, forcing him to break a window in his attempted getaway. Thanks to Jones' fancy gun work, the man was apprehended and everyone was safe and sound.

To top it off, The New York Post reports that even Cox's MOM is singing Jonesy's praises!Said Cheryl Cox of her son's botched robbery, "I would have done the same thing. I'm just thankful to God the police officer is OK -- she did a good job." Sadly, Cox has filed eight domestic-violence complaints against her son.

Last week, Officer Jones was rewarded with a promotion to detective by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. "Her quick thinking and sharp aim stopped an armed robbery or worse," said Mr. Bloomberg, adding that the tale of Jonesy "will be told at the police department for many years to come."

next: Just Dance!
KS November 1, 2010, 3:02 PM

Fancy gun work huh. I wonder about that. Police officers are trained to shoot center mass. Our police officers are trained to shoot two to the chest one to the head. During an experience such as this people fall back onto their training.

I would place money that she pulled a few rounds. I don’t believe for one second she she intentionally aimed at his hand and the door knob. Besides the point that firing at a door puts innocent civilians in peril because bullets normally keep moving through doors and a police officer who has enough wherewithal to shoot a gun out of a hand and hit a door knob also has the capacity to think through that shot.

I will say at least the article is pro police though.

MomO5 November 2, 2010, 10:41 AM

Oh shut up KS.. She did a good thing, the end!

KS November 2, 2010, 6:16 PM

Sure she stopped an armed robber in his tracks. However. Where is her paid leave during the coroners inquest? that’s standard protocol after a shooting. Why is she being promoted when she admittedly put innocent lives in danger by firing a gun at a door without knowing who was on the other side? Sorry but you can look at this in one way but not everyone sees what you see.

Especially those who know just how difficult it is to actually shoot a gun out of a hand. Let alone the hand of a moving target then shoot the door knob during a high stress situation.

So no I don’t buy it for one second and this police officer getting special treatment after she actually missed her target is wrong because police officers have an obligation to tell the truth. I would also like to know the outcome of her last eye exam.

I’m all about being pro police but thinking that police officers have the capacity to shoot guns out of moving suspects hands is unrealistic and this officer is simply setting up the myth that other officers are not doing their jobs effectively.

Sha November 2, 2010, 7:15 PM

Some people are just miserable as heck and can’t say anything good about a good thing.

I hope like ______ that if I am ever caught-up in a situation like this, an officer with just as much courage and forward thought will intercede on my behalf.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 10:59 PM

Very helpful reading. Thanks, I absolutely enjoy reading your post.

apartments marbella December 10, 2010, 5:50 AM

Fine information. Thanks so much, very useful indeed…

Drug rehab December 28, 2010, 7:09 PM

Web results for Alcoholism Definition from Paleez Meta Search Engine. Use Paleez to find Alcoholism Definition websites, images, videos, news and more.

Wyatt Ginnings January 7, 2011, 1:30 PM

Nice reading. Thanks, looking forward to your feed updates…

Milo Whetstine January 19, 2011, 12:36 AM

Nice reading. Thanks, looking forward to your feed updates…

immigration lawyers  February 10, 2011, 9:14 PM

As a Newbie, I am constantly browsing online for articles that can aid me. Thank you

chicken pox virus February 25, 2011, 5:04 PM

I used to be very pleased to find this internet-site.I wished to thanks to your time for this excellent learn!! I positively having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

Virus Removal February 28, 2011, 11:13 AM

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your web site by accident, and I’m shocked why this accident didn’t happened earlier! I bookmarked it

tassimo brewbot March 2, 2011, 11:24 AM

I thought your posting was great and will check out generally.

comet laptops March 3, 2011, 10:20 AM

Some really nice stuff on this internet site , I like it.

Darron Steward March 4, 2011, 12:04 AM

Hello! I have read some of your post here and found it interesting and it makes a lot of sense. Plus i love your theme here. Thumbs up! Keep on sharing!

Chang Kakaviatos March 4, 2011, 12:28 PM

Nice data, many thank you towards the author.

Mariko Villalouos March 5, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quite thankful am I mainly because I’ve uncovered this beneficial articles. I’ll check this out and see if it will work on my website as well.

Tawanna Kawczynski March 5, 2011, 4:19 AM

Your site offers a lot of unique insights and information. I haven’t really thought about it like that.

hdtvs March 5, 2011, 10:43 PM

I thought your post was cool and will visit often.

dental care March 5, 2011, 11:11 PM

Really interesting articles. I enjoyed reading it.