Demi Lovato Was Reportedly Cutting Herself

Demi Lovato has entered treatment, reportedly for cutting. No matter what you may call it -- self-mutilation, cutting, self-harm or self-injury, this type of intentional self-destructive behavior to one's own body is a serious concern.

Demi Lovato

Maggie Baumann, MA: According to Mental Health America, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people live mentally healthy lives, the most common method of self-injury is cutting.

However, other self-injurious behaviors can include:

• Scratching
  • Burning
  • Biting
  • Bruising
  • Head-banging
  • Picking at skin
  • Hair pulling (trichotillomania)
  • Hitting

Teens are particularly at risk of self-mutilation, with more girls affected than boys. Besides gender and age, other common factors seen with this behavior include people who have a history of physical, emotional or sexual abuse. It's also more prevalent in teens who have co-existing problems, such as alcohol/drug abuse, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder and eating disorders. Additionally, it is seen in people who lack skills to express their emotions and are known to have a poor support network.

During an initial consultation with a new client in my practice as a therapist, one of the questions I always ask is about any self-harming behaviors, past or present. More than 50 percent of the eating disorder clients I see acknowledge a history of cutting behaviors. Once, a client showed me the inside of her forearm, where she had a four-inch scar displaying the words, "I am fat."

Is Cutting a Suicide Attempt?
Well, it can be. But in most cases, the intent of self-injury is rarely a suicide attempt. However, any self-injury attempt could accidentally lead to death.

More often than not, self-injury is simply a mechanism for coping with extreme emotional distress. It can relieve intense feelings, anger or anxiety. It can provide a way for someone to break emotional numbness or feel some sort of reality. Physically, self-mutilation is thought to release endorphins, neurotransmitters in the brain that cause a "high-like" feeling.

Warning Signs of Self-Injury
Teens who self-injure usually go to great lengths to cover up their injuries to prevent parents or other adults from discovering their secret. Some of the signs to look for include:

• Appearance of abnormal number of bruises, scars, or scratches
  • Wearing pants or long sleeves in warm weather
  • Finding razors or other sharp objects in your teen's room
  • Low self-esteem and/or depression
  • Difficulty expressing feelings in words
  • Relationship conflicts
  • Poor functioning at home, school or work

Parent's Role in Treatment
Seek professional help for your teen from a trained family therapist. Anti-anxiety and/or antidepressants prescribed by a doctor may also be helpful in stabilizing the teen's mood.

As a parent, it's important not to shame your teen or show any signs of disgust at his/her behavior. Be accepting and compassionate that your teen is sending you a signal for help with an emotional issue he/she is not able to cope with in a healthy way. Open your lines of communication with your teen -- and participate in family therapy, if indicated.

next: 7-Year-Old MattyB Raps Ke$ha
Debora Tresvant April 5, 2011, 4:08 PM

Great ideas, thanks to whoever thought of it and for taking the time to think of it

Adolfo Ednilao April 6, 2011, 3:34 AM

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edmund Ori April 6, 2011, 3:50 PM

I really like what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve added you guys to my personal blogroll.

Francisco Filipek April 6, 2011, 8:36 PM

Advantageously, the article is in reality the best on this notable topic. I slot in along with your conclusions and can thirstily look forward to your upcoming updates. simply saying thanks will not simply be adequate, for the tremendous lucidity in your writing. i will be able to instantly grab your rss feed to remain abreast of any updates. Gratifying work and much success in your business efforts!

Nikals Hjalmarsson Jerseys April 8, 2011, 11:15 AM

Hello may I exemplify some of the judgement from this delivery if I cater a vinculum back to your site?

Cyrus Hoffer April 9, 2011, 7:59 AM

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I’m experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting similar rss problem? Anyone who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

Maragret Robles April 9, 2011, 3:40 PM

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. All the best

peugeots April 10, 2011, 1:17 AM

Lovely piece, props to you for taking the time to come up with it

Tommy Padon April 10, 2011, 1:36 AM

There are some attention-grabbing closing dates on this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There may be some validity but I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as properly

Peugeot UK April 10, 2011, 5:31 AM

Lovely ideas, thanks to whoever thought of it and for making the effort to write it down

custom research paper May 15, 2011, 5:33 AM

Make success alone, out of support from others indeed tight. And it is very needful to select the straight priorities in life! We can favor you prosper in publish essays.

research essay for sale May 17, 2011, 11:47 AM

We provide university students in the whole world to order an essay online of supreme quality and for good prices. Moreover, we are a trustworthy organization.

custom writing May 17, 2011, 12:35 PM

Oh my gosh! That is the charming thing I’ve ever seen !!!! Very often to reach the PhD level you need order online essays .

research papers May 22, 2011, 3:36 AM

If students not really sure what to select, essay or miscellaneous essays, they must turn to you, because you know the right way to finish the best issue.