Mom Has Thanksgiving Reservations

Guest blogger Annie: My sister, my uncle and I spend Thanksgiving together every year. My mother lives out of state, but we never really celebrated with her, anyway. When my grandmother was alive, she joined us. When my uncle was in a 12-year relationship, his in-laws were there. When my sister was married, her in-laws attended. But things have changed. My sister and I both have children; my grandmother has died. My uncle and my sister are now single.

family at thanksgiving dinner with waitress

Last year, my sister had her then in-laws over and she rented tables and invited coworkers. The year before, my uncle had dinner catered and all the strays and orphans attended the buffet meal. But this year, we wanted it to be just us. When we were trying to determine who would make what, we decided: Let's go out.

You see, none of us are good cooks. We can follow a recipe, but we don't love doing the deed. We cook when we have to, but we are comfortable with the fact that we are not Suzy Homemakers. We also don't own fine china, don't have dining room tables in our homes and don't like to clean. So we are figuring there's no harm in going to a restaurant this year.

We searched and vetted all of the possible places to dine, and finally settled on a local restaurant. It's not too extravagant and not too down-home. They offer a prix fixe holiday dinner menu. We are in California, so the seating is outside; they have heat lamps so we won't freeze. There is also a fountain, so if the kids get restless, we can take them for a walk and not feel silly if they scream and yell.

I'm sure the food will be better than any disgusting yams with marshmallows that we would have attempted to concoct. We won't have to spend hours preparing. And, most importantly, our cleanup will take as long as it takes to say, "Thank you, and have a nice holiday."

So far, I'm not feeling disappointed. I'm looking forward to it like I would any Thanksgiving dinner in any previous year. In fact, I'm excited that there will be no arguments, no tension and no sweat. I'll let you know after the fact if I feel the same way.

next: Construction and Pregnancy Do Not Mix!
Jolene November 14, 2010, 4:18 PM

Ohhh, I’m so jealous. Enjoy your wonderful Thanksgiving!

Local Towing Companies In Chicago November 25, 2010, 12:52 AM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

Examples Of Persuasive Speeches Speaker December 11, 2010, 1:27 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Removal Tool December 18, 2010, 12:30 AM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

squamous cell cancer January 21, 2011, 5:03 PM

Squamous cell skin cancer is the most second kind of carcinoma in the world.

penn state homecoming parade 2011 January 22, 2011, 2:08 AM

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

cheap mini blinds January 27, 2011, 10:29 PM

You’ve made some valid points there. I did a research on the area and found on the whole people will see eye to eye with your site. Thanks once more for taking the time to put this up. I definitely liked every bit of it.

Scarlet Wontor March 12, 2011, 5:39 PM

Well this sort of information is in truth worth searching for, great information for visitors and absolutely shows quality writing. Its terrific to have these kinds of reports around to keep the information flow. Serving individuals who really enjoy this, great work! Thanks again for taking the time to put this up. I definitely liked every part of it.

what do baby lovebirds eat 2 March 28, 2011, 7:11 AM

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.