Fancy Parties for 1-Year-Olds Are a Waste of Money!

Guest blogger Diana Landen: Throwing a fancy birthday party for a 1-year-old is like throwing your money down the toilet. The baby won't remember it, but that's a good thing because they aren't going to enjoy it, either.

Waldorf Hotel
Let me remind you of what a 1-year-old is like. They are learning to walk and talk. They are afraid of strangers. They don't like to separate from their parents. They couldn't care less about playing with other babies. Clowns scare them. They eat balloons and choke on them. They take two naps a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

A momlogic blogger recently discussed throwing a party for her 1-year-old at the Waldorf-Astoria. A three-hour party with lots of guests? Professional entertainers dressed as cartoon characters? A music class and singalong for 1-year-olds? Assuming the kids aren't all in tears and clinging to their parents, what are they singing? "Mama, dada, milk, milk, milk?"

Let's face it: A toddler's idea of fun is finding an electric socket, not sitting in a circle for a music class. They want to explore, they want to play with Mom and they want to eat. As for filling the room with toys, babies can still amuse themselves with a set of mixing bowls or some pots to bang on. Why spoil that? Babies don't need monogrammed labels on their food, either. It could give them a swelled head -- if they knew the letters of the alphabet.

What do babies need for their first-birthday party? Cake, ice cream, some relatives to sing "Happy Birthday" and a present or two. If parents want to do something more to celebrate, go ahead and have a huge party. Just do your baby a favor, and leave them at home with a sitter.

next: Will TSA Screenings Make Holiday Travel a Nightmare?
dauphin island vacation rentals January 8, 2011, 10:29 PM

Alternatively you could go directly to Mar Vista and skip the Pelican Inn, then add two nights way up north at the wonderful, if simple, Requa Inn, but its a five-hour drive. There are closer places, like Humboldt Redwoods, but the only worthwhile place to stay near the Avenue of the Giants is the Benbow Inn. But this is a different trip altogether.

tudung bidang 60 January 13, 2011, 8:10 AM

I admire your work , thank you for all the great posts .

Carmela January 13, 2011, 1:48 PM

Regards for helping out, good information.

tudung bidang 60 January 13, 2011, 11:55 PM

yeah bookmaking this wasn’t a risky determination great post!

Causstem January 16, 2011, 7:53 AM

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain good points in options also.

Stina January 20, 2011, 7:51 PM

Respect to website author , some good entropy.

Xeleo January 26, 2011, 9:08 AM

Howdy! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice data you’ve here on this post. I will probably be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

Pat Ruggerio February 14, 2011, 12:08 AM

If I won’t be able to possess you then no one will! Mwuhahahaha… oh, my apologies, wrong website. My bad.

landscaping Hockessin March 6, 2011, 1:11 PM

Hey great weblog, just looking about some blogs, appears a pretty nice platform youre making use of. Im currently using Wordpress for a couple of of my web sites but looking to change 1 of them more than to a platform comparable to yours as being a trial run. Anything in specific youd recommend about it?

Sina Rosander March 11, 2011, 3:55 PM

Excellent idea for an article and I love the resources!

passive income March 23, 2011, 10:21 AM

One thing is one of the most typical incentives for utilizing your credit cards is a cash-back or rebate present. Generally, you’ll receive 1-5% back in various expenses. Depending on the credit card, you may get 1% returning on most expenses, and 5% in return on buying made in convenience stores, filling stations, grocery stores in addition to ‘member merchants’.

Suzann Nill March 27, 2011, 11:42 AM

Extraordinary piece,In my opinion you could have undoubtedly launched a web site I have to come back to continually. Many thanks.

Kallie Glascoe March 29, 2011, 5:24 AM

Impressive post,I do think you’ve surely established a web site I want to check back on regularly. Many thanks.