Peanuts: The Newest Pregnancy No-No?

Guest blogger Ronda Kaysen: The list of things pregnant women should avoid may be about to get longer. Yes, peanuts may soon make a reappearance on the no-no list. A new study suggests that pregnant women might need to back off eating the nuts if food allergies run in their families.

Peanuts

The study looked at babies aged 3 to 15 months and tested them for sensitivities to eggs, dairy and nuts. The more peanuts a new mom ate during her third trimester, the greater likelihood her baby would develop a sensitivity to one of the above. Since the study looked at kids in 2008, it's too soon to tell if those babies will develop a true allergy or not.

"Our study looked at sensitization, not peanut allergy," researcher Scott H. Sicherer, MD, of New York's Mount Sinai School of Medicine, told WebMD. "It is going to be a few years before we know whether these children really do develop true peanut allergies."

This isn't entirely new information. Researchers have long linked moms eating peanuts during pregnancy to kids having food allergies, but the research has always been weak. For a while, the American Academy of Pediatrics told moms to abstain from peanuts during the third trimester, but they backed off that suggestion in 2008 because the research was so thin.

Despite the recent findings, however, researchers aren't ready to definitively return nuts to the list of dangerous pregnancy food."We simply don't have enough information to tell women they should or should not eat peanuts during pregnancy," said Sicherer.

In fact, some studies have pointed to just the opposite: that early exposure to allergens reduces the rate of allergies in kids. This tidbit of information brings to light a very important point: It's not always clear what we should do to protect our babies before they're born.

As a very pregnant mama, I find all this contradictory news distressing. Obviously I don't want to give my kids food allergies or cause them any other suffering because of my eating habits. But at the same time, I find the endless list of things to avoid overwhelming, frequently impractical and often contradictory. I know I shouldn't drink like a fish or smoke or take out the kitty litter. OK. Those seem like avoidable toxins. But then you start adding on the other ones .... "Fish is good for you, but not too much of the big fish. Avoid raw cheeses and deli meats and undercooked anything." And now nuts, too?

Nuts are tasty, nutritious and filling when you're very hungry and very pregnant. But as a person who grew up in a house with kids and grownups with food allergies, I know what a burden food allergies can be. Allergies are restrictive, exhausting and stressful. The last thing I'd want would be to bestow them on my kids.

Steering clear of peanuts for a few months seems like a reasonable thing to do. Unless, of course, early exposure is the way to go, and I should be doing just the opposite!

next: Win a Copy of 'Toy Story 3'
treat acne March 19, 2011, 2:10 PM

Can I simply say what a reduction to find someone who really is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know the right way to deliver a problem to mild and make it important. Extra folks have to learn this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant believe youre no more common since you definitely have the gift.

vigrx plus March 20, 2011, 12:08 AM

That fantabulous post this has been. Within no way seen this kind associated with useful post. I’m grateful to you and anticipate much more associated with posts such as. Thank you very much.

Buster Pfund March 20, 2011, 1:18 AM

I can tell that youre a specialist at the area! Im launching a web site soon, and your information are terribly helpful on behalf of me personally.. several thanks for all your assist yet as wanting all of you the success within your business.

Suplementy dla sportowcow March 20, 2011, 2:15 AM

I always was interested in this topic and stock still am, regards for putting up.

peyton manning March 20, 2011, 5:11 AM

Hello can I quote some of the information from this post if I provide a link back to your site?

mafia wars guide March 20, 2011, 8:33 AM

There are certainly loads of details like that to take into consideration. That is a nice point to bring up. I provide the ideas above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place a very powerful thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around issues like that, however I’m certain that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Each boys and girls really feel the impression of only a second’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

hcg diet March 20, 2011, 10:39 AM

Have bookmarked this article, thank you considerably!

choroby skóry March 20, 2011, 4:13 PM

very interesting site, I invite you to her. pzd

rwa kulszowa March 20, 2011, 4:21 PM

very interesting site, I invite you to her. pzd

Darcey Bustillo March 20, 2011, 8:08 PM

Aw, this was a very nice post. In idea I want to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and certainly not appear to get something done.

gnc store locator March 21, 2011, 3:47 AM

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

Wre54g March 21, 2011, 7:03 PM

Great post.

wealthy affiliate reviews March 21, 2011, 10:57 PM

Hey, I just hopped over to your site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would normally read, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for making something worth reading.

זקוקים ליעוץ נישואין ועוד תוכלו לקבל עזרה מאנשי מקצוע מוסמכים בתחום זה.

bajar de peso embarazo March 22, 2011, 3:12 PM

I do like the way you have presented this situation plus it really does give us some fodder for thought. However, because of just what I have experienced, I only trust when the comments pile on that folks stay on issue and not embark upon a soap box associated with some other news of the day. Anyway, thank you for this fantastic piece and while I can not agree with it in totality, I regard your standpoint.

Sherie Stefaniak March 22, 2011, 7:05 PM

With all the doggone snow we have gotten as of late I am stuck inside , fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do. :)

nintendo 3ds forums March 22, 2011, 9:27 PM

See, it is great to finally see someone applying some reasonable logic to this. Thanks.

wpolscemamymocneseo March 23, 2011, 5:23 PM

Man, you are a good writer. Your text is really good. You should do it for a living

Mercedes Forums March 23, 2011, 6:34 PM

Hey, I think your mostly on point with this, I can’t say I am completely on the same page, but its not really that big of a deal .

Lily Wike March 23, 2011, 7:51 PM

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Cheers!