Pregnancy Panic: Am I Really Having a Baby?!

Mom-to-Be: So it just hit me. Like a ton of bricks -- or should I say, like a huge box of 152-count Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive Diapers.

pregnant woman
Right smack in the face.

The revelation that I'm actually going to give birth to this baby inside of me in just nine weeks and two days (but who's counting?!).

And suddenly I'm in a free-fall panic. Maybe because I haven't changed a diaper ... well, ever. Or because I don't know the difference between a burp cloth and a washcloth. And most definitely because I keep thinking I have the right information about something baby-related, and then someone else comes along and tells me a completely different story. (Bumpers in the crib are fine. Oh no! You can't put anything in the crib except your baby!)

And when I lie in bed at night, my mind spinning out of control and my hips throbbing, I wonder, When this baby is actually here, crying, burping, pooping, am I going to be able to take care of it the way that so many others effortlessly do?

Will the child-preparation class that I'm scheduled to take actually prepare me? The OB keeps telling me there's no manual (well, why the hell not?) and that every baby is completely different (well, yeah, mine will be an angel, right?!). But I still wish I had a crystal ball to know what to expect. Or at the very least to know if I'll be able to get my baby into the Bjorn without someone else helping me (apparently, it's a two-man job).

If you haven't already gathered, I'm Type A, a total perfectionist and slight control freak. So possibly it's normal that I've gone off the deep end with worry. Right?

next: This Mom Blogger Is Our Hero!
Michelle Mitchell November 4, 2010, 3:13 PM

You’re in good company. And even when it looks effortless … it rarely is! Baby Bjorn is a two-person job, but the Ergo is so easy to use (and much better on your back). But there I go, giving you another option to consider! Good luck.

KS November 5, 2010, 9:03 PM

It happens to all of us. I remember a moment when I was pregnant with my first. I started having contractions and I thought NO I’M NOT READY YET. The next week when real labor came I was more than fine with it.

You will figure out what works for you. What your baby likes, wants, needs. You will know every cry. You will be able to hear your baby cry in a room full of children and know EXACTLY what they need. If they are really hurt or just have a bruised ego. You will figure it out along the way. None of us have magic. We gained our knowledge the same way you will. Through trial and error and seemingly a 1,000 sleepless nights.

Heather November 6, 2010, 11:40 AM

I was in, somewhat, of the same situation. I had never changed a diaper, yet had decided long before that I would not have a bumper in the crib. Pretty much everything was set up and ready months before my daughter came. She is now two, still alive, healthy, and never been severly injured (just a couple boo-boos here and there). I was terrified to leave the hospital once she was born as I feared I was not capable of caring for her. Take a deep breath, calm down, and know that nurses will teach you what they can, family and friends will help when you let them, and you will learn and become quite good a the every day stuff. For me, teaching and discipline are still out the window though. :) Congrats and good luck!

Heather November 6, 2010, 11:41 AM

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 8:43 PM

A formidable share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat analysis on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If doable, as you change into expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra details? It’s extremely useful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog post!

Justin Ausby March 29, 2011, 7:17 PM

Hello.This post was extremely remarkable, especially because I was browsing for thoughts on this topic last Monday.

Rachel A. Callahan March 31, 2011, 3:04 AM

Exciting

Keith O. Joyce April 8, 2011, 3:05 AM

Valuable

106 107 for sale April 9, 2011, 8:37 AM

Fantastic ideas, thanks to whoever thought of it and for making the effort to write it down

louis vuitton Handbags May 9, 2011, 2:22 AM

Dude, you should be a writer. Your article is really interesting. You should do it for a living