Pregnant Pot Smokers Sound Off!

Last week, in a post called "Marijuana and Morning Sickness," guest blogger Jessica Katz wrote about how sick she has been throughout her second pregnancy. "It's not morning sickness, it's 24-hours-a-day sickness," she blogged. "Even though I am taking Zofran, I am deathly ill." Jessica was floored when her doctor suggested that she treat her morning sickness with marijuana. "Don't they take your kids away from you if you do drugs while you are pregnant?" she asked. She Googled it, though, and found that many moms had successfully used medical marijuana to treat severe morning sickness. Yet in the end, she decided against trying it herself.

marijuana
Imagine her -- and our -- surprise when dozens of momlogic moms wrote in saying that they themselves had toked during their pregnancies, and that they recommended it ... er, highly. Check it out:

"If I [hadn't smoked] marijuana when I was pregnant with my second child, I would have never eaten," wrote Anonymous. "The smell [and] taste of food made me so sick I couldn't stand it. I didn't do much -- just a small hit, and then I was fine. If [your doctor] said it will help, believe him."

"Ladies, I smoked weed nearly every single day throughout my entire pregnancy, and it sure got me through it!" wrote Girlie. "We have a bright, alert, strong and happy girl. Our doctor always [remarked], 'Keep doing whatever you're doing -- she's perfect.' Great birth weight, too! Just a little research will show how much safer [marijuana] is than alcohol and most over-the-counter drugs during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Proud smoking mama here, just can't wait 'til it's legal."

"I used [marijuana] during one of my pregnancies," commented Mom of 2. "My kid is super smart, quick, funny, charming and healthier than the one I didn't smoke with."

"When I was pregnant a decade ago, I went through several weeks where I just kept getting sicker and sicker," said Leese from Indiana. "My husband began to worry enough [that] he spoke to someone at work who 'hooked him up' with a joint. I took a hit that evening, and a couple more throughout the next few days. Worked like a charm. I could sleep ... and the nausea disappeared. If you are afraid of smoking, a vaporizer is the best way to inhale, but eating is a mellow experience, if you can eat."

"I smoked when I was pregnant back in 1969, and my child weighed in at 8.5 pounds," wrote Sungirl. "He was put into gifted classes in third grade and has never shown any adverse effects from my having smoked."

"I have an 11-month-old son and went through the same issues," said Amanda. "Zofran, peppermint tea, seabands, EVERYTHING. I actually lost 60 pounds in the first and second trimesters. Marijuana was the only thing that allowed me to move .... I do not live in a medical marijuana state so I took a HUGE risk, but I knew what I was doing was right for my baby and myself."

"I smoked through both pregnancies," wrote Mother of Two. "My kids are fine; they do great in school and are really good kids .... They also make a pill called Marinol that is THC-based [and] is supposed to decrease nausea and increase appetite, but smoking works better."

"I was extremely sick with my first pregnancy, 24/7," said Amie. "It was to the point where I had to go to the ER because I was dehydrated and couldn't even keep ice cubes down. Marijuana helped a lot, and now I have a healthy son who is extremely smart -- almost too smart, lol. It would be worse if you weren't able to gain weight and get proper nutrition to your baby."

"I used a hit of marijuana once a day for my nine-month-long 'morning' sickness," commented Karmadillo. "I found it helped when nothing else did. This was in 1977. Just one case, but my daughter is fine. BTW, Zofran is a drug, is it not? What are the effects of that versus a small amount of an herb that is known to be very safe?"

"I am now 8.5 months pregnant with [baby] number six," wrote JG. "I have been soooo sick throughout this entire pregnancy that I ... lost 60 pounds in the first four months. My OB put me on Phenergan, which is AWFUL. Then my family doc gave me Zofran .... I gave up and started smoking a little in the early AM. Finally I was able to get out of bed -- which I couldn't even do before -- [and] oh yeah: I could EAT again! While my weight loss had been severe, my unborn daughter is doing well; her heart rate is strong, her size is good ... and now we are just waiting on her arrival. I still get sick, so I still toke a little here and there. It has worked so well that I wish I had started smoking a little earlier, when I couldn't do anything but puke. I don't live in a medical MJ state, but after having to have a tooth pulled at eight months [and being] put on narcotic pain pills -- which the OB said were completely OK -- I figured, 'If hydrocodone is OK, why wouldn't MJ be?'"

"I was fortunate enough to live in a place where medical marijuana is legal," said Michelle. "I only smoked when I really needed to, and also vaporized and ate cannabis treats. My son was 11 lbs., 10 oz. at birth, is sharp as a tack, strong as a bull and seems to be developing more rapidly than the norm. Your doctor isn't some silly pothead: Cannabis is a medicine. It has only been illegal in the U.S. since 1937, and it's mostly for racial, political and economic reasons. Don't let that reefer madness scare you into finding relief. Check out this study."

"With my first pregnancy I smoked MJ ... [and] my boy came out ... healthy as a horse," wrote Green Mom of 2. "One thing to ask [your doctor], though: Is he going to have the hospital drug-test you when the baby is born? Lots of hospitals do it now, and you need to be aware if they do, and the laws in [your] state."

"I used during both of my pregnancies," said Julie. "My doctor had offered me pharmaceutical drugs that would have affected my liver as well as the development of the babies' livers. My 17-month-old is amazing, with no adverse effects whatsoever! She has an over 150-word vocabulary, sings, dances and is way ahead of other children her age. Her memory is unbelievable! It is great that your doctor recommended herb, because my midwives illegally drug-tested my urine and threatened to tell my pediatrician of the results because they were "concerned as to the home environment" my baby was going home to!"

Rachel commented, "Zofran -- chemically manmade drug. Cannabis -- made from the earth. Which is more natural, in your opinion?"

"During my first pregnancy, I was hospitalized repeatedly for dehydration due to severe hyperemesis," wrote Holly. "Zofran didn't work. I was so sick that I told my husband it was a good thing we didn't own a gun -- and at that point, I wasn't kidding .... Did I eventually break down and try marijuana? You bet. Did it work? Yes. Do I feel guilty about it? Not a single bit. How are my kids? They have performed above-average on all academic measures thus far, and have no problems focusing. :)"

"I suffered through [morning sickness] with my first baby, but during my second pregnancy, I was working full-time," wrote Theresa Knox. "[After] the third time I stopped on the way to work to vomit on the side of the road, I spoke to my OB/GYN. She said, 'Obviously I can't legally tell you it won't hurt your baby to smoke pot. But it won't hurt your baby to smoke pot, and it's better to smoke the pot than be sick all the time.' [Now] I have a healthy, normal, active, above-average intelligent 13-year-old girl." Note: Knox suggested that readers visit MomsforMarijuana.com.

Ladies, your pro-pot arguments are VERY convincing! Moms, what say you? Is it better to uphold the law, or have a healthy baby?

next: Diary of a 50-Year-Old Bride, Part 3
Shannon November 29, 2010, 7:43 AM

HEALTHY BABY ALL THE WAY IS ALL THAT MATTERS & IF A LIL POT HELPS THEN SO BE IT MAMA’S!!! PS I was blessed with an awesome pregnancy & never got sick, but my heart goes out to those that didn’t have the same blessing as me. Do what makes ya happy & better!

mark November 29, 2010, 10:06 AM

My wife smoked during her pregnancy with our second and third child (both girls). Both are teenagers now and both are Honor Roll students at schools with a score of 10 (academic scores for California rated 1 -10, 10 the highest). I was against her using Pot, but there are no effects that i have seen, and it helped my wife get through her sickness. Marajuana is good, and I hope it is leagalized sooner than later!

gail November 29, 2010, 6:14 PM

I am not a cigarette smoker, so have never tried to smoke marijuana, , but I have questions about why it is not legal, but alcohol is, and so many of our wonderful prescribed drugs, that have life threatening side effects. Here are the side effects of Zofran, which is commonly prescribed for morning sickness……..Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; wheezing; unusual hoarseness); chest or jaw pain, numbness of an arm or leg, or sudden severe headache or vomiting; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness; skin tingling or numbness; stomach pain; trouble urinating; uncontrolled muscle movements; vision changes or loss.! VISION OR HEARING LOSS??SEIZURES??

G November 30, 2010, 9:09 AM

I don’t like drugs. Legal or unlegal. When doctor subscribes you any medication s/he has to always weight the pros and cons. Overmedicating is very bad thing and IMO very irresponsible from doctor BUT medicines do help and when the help is big enaugh compared to harm you need to take them. There shouldn’t be any distinction between marijuona and something synthesized by farmaseutical companies.
When thinking about using mj during pregnancy you have to weight it’s ill effects against ill effects from continuous nausea and medications you already take.
You should be carfull when taking medicines (or mj) but sometimes not taking affects more badly than taking.

Jeannie November 30, 2010, 9:44 AM

Well, I’m a pretty conservative person and I’ve never smoked pot, but now in my late 30s, it’s something that I’d love to try. LOL!

I don’t plan on any additional pregnancies, but with all the morning sickness I experienced with two pregnancies, I’d be totally open to trying it.

I took zofran with my second pregnancy. It worked wonderfully, but was so expensive that my insurance would only cover 10 pills a month. It made me so constipated it was like giving birth to get rid of one tiny turd.

Renee November 30, 2010, 10:37 AM

I had morning sickness so bad, that I smoked with my son. It worked so much, felt better. It is truley amazing, when you are so sick that a very simple thing made me feel so good, the feeling of not being sick is the best feeling in the world. My son, who is now 7 is the smartes boy in his class. My older 2 children, who I did not smoke with are the one having trouble in school. I honestly do not think that has anything to do with the brains of a child. he is the most funniest, loving, and smart child I have ever meet.

Jess November 30, 2010, 11:09 AM

I had the stomach flu while I was 7 months pregnant and smoked a little. I did not throw up again. My dad smoke after chemo treatment to not throw up and be able to eat. This is a plant that grows naturally people. I think it’s crazy for people to judge Marijauna but not think twice about putting high fructose corn syrup, processed food, msg or prescription drugs in your body while pregnant. Talk about poison! If it keeps you from being sick doesn’t that benefit you and your baby. I think drinking a diet coke is WAY worse for you and your baby.

LilyBug's Momma November 30, 2010, 11:30 AM

You know, I had a daughter born 3 months prematurely due to an incompetent cervix and I smoked during my whole pregnancy. She is now 5 months old and is doing fantastic, she has no health issues what so ever. She was 1 lb 12 ounces at birth and she is now 11 lbs at a corrected age of 2 months. She is even rolling over and trying to crawl. More advanced than normal. If anything, maybe smoking marijuana helped her.

NASIOC Dad November 30, 2010, 11:49 AM

My wife smoked with our first kid. He’s OK but can be asinine at times. He’s a loveable rogue!
The pregnancy went well, he was delivered 1 week late. We named him Chris and he weighed 6.19lbs. My wife didnt smoke like a rasta or anything, just the odd “spootypuff” once in a while. Aod she seems to have gone through the ordeal with no lasting issues. Looking back now it was kinda fun but scary. First time she tried it she was staying at a HotelPro.
No big deal in the end.

SF November 30, 2010, 11:53 AM

Over 29 years ago, I smoked with my first child. I did not have any morning sickness throughout my pregancy. She came out healthy, was a straight “A” student in school and college. Over 21 years ago, I did not smoke with my second child. I had morning sickness throughout my pregancy. She was born 3 months early, weighed 1 lb, 14 ozs, and struggled through school. That was a long time ago before Medical MJ and it worked fine for me!!

MR November 30, 2010, 12:30 PM

I didn’t take anything at all during my first pregnancy, but smoked during my second two pregnancies. My firstborn had ADD/EBD and got a rare tumor in his leg bone. He didn’t get very good grades and barely graduated. My second two children, the ones I smoked with, are both perfectly normal, get good grades, and are the picture of health. All babies were over 8 lbs (the third was over 9).

I wish the stigma against pot would go away. I do agree that people who abuse it are losers—if you can’t get your responsibilities taken care of because you’re smoking, then you’re abusing it (not to mention yourself). I think those who do nothing but smoke and let their lives fall in shambles around them are the ones that give it a bad name.

Sunnie November 30, 2010, 12:48 PM

I smoked when I was pregnat with both my kids. When the morning sickness went away I didn’t feel the need to smoke anymore and stopped. The doctors knew I was doing it as well. My kids were born healthy and are smart, great kids now.

Tony November 30, 2010, 1:06 PM

Any women who lacks common sense and there are plenty of you won’t have any mistakes ( babies ). You deserve
morning sickness and all the other problems going with the baby.

Tony November 30, 2010, 1:06 PM

morning sickness and all the other problems going with the baby.

Allison November 30, 2010, 1:13 PM

Wow, I can’t believe that that is a good idea. But go for it. This way my kids (who have never even come close to pot smoke) can outperform your kids in life.

Dawn November 30, 2010, 1:54 PM

Tony and Alison? You’re comments are WAY out of line. But to each their own opinion.

I smoked with the first- She is an honor roll student and has been since school started.
I didn’t smoke much with my second. He is ADHD, ODD and Bi-polar.

Do what feels right to you.

Nanny Noodles November 30, 2010, 1:58 PM

I don’t know about any of you, but I managed to get through 5 pregnancies dealing with my “morning sickness” by drinking Constant Comment tea. It took away the nausea, didn’t harm my self or my children, and was perfectly legal and inexpensive. There are MANY alternatives to pharmaceutical and illegal drugs.

Tristan's Mommy November 30, 2010, 2:01 PM

I never heard of such a thing and with my first pregnancy, I was sick 24/7 almost the entire time. I managed to get through it but if I had read studies that show it’s safe and if my doc had stated it was, then I don’t know. I think I’d still be worried about the welfare of my child. I might’ve done what I did anyway deal with it without any assistance. Just suffer through it. Then again, I wasn’t working, either.

All the moms raving about their above average intelligence children struck me as odd when taken as a whole because it made it seem as if smoking pot would increase a child’s intelligence. I know that wasn’t the intention (just no adverse side effects). But remember, you too can have above average children without taking a toke. :P

Mom of Two November 30, 2010, 2:10 PM

I have to admit, while I was MORTIFIED at first when reading this, my mind is more open to the concept. I am NOT a big fan of pharmaceutical drugs, so I use a lot of homeopathic supplements to stay healthy…herbs, from the ground, that are natural. I do this to avoid having to take (or give my children) antibiotics or even over-the-counter chemical medications. So really, what’s the difference? I am about as anti-cigarettes as you can get, and don’t know about legalizing pot because I think most people are too stupid to be responsible with it…but for this, I have to say, I can’t argue with the results…

Jessica November 30, 2010, 2:12 PM

How big are these ladies that they can actually lose SIXTY lbs in three months? Sorry, I know that wasn’t the point of the article…