Pregnant Pot Smokers Sound Off!

Last week, in a post called "Marijuana and Morning Sickness," guest blogger Jessica Katz wrote about how sick she has been throughout her second pregnancy. "It's not morning sickness, it's 24-hours-a-day sickness," she blogged. "Even though I am taking Zofran, I am deathly ill." Jessica was floored when her doctor suggested that she treat her morning sickness with marijuana. "Don't they take your kids away from you if you do drugs while you are pregnant?" she asked. She Googled it, though, and found that many moms had successfully used medical marijuana to treat severe morning sickness. Yet in the end, she decided against trying it herself.

marijuana
Imagine her -- and our -- surprise when dozens of momlogic moms wrote in saying that they themselves had toked during their pregnancies, and that they recommended it ... er, highly. Check it out:

"If I [hadn't smoked] marijuana when I was pregnant with my second child, I would have never eaten," wrote Anonymous. "The smell [and] taste of food made me so sick I couldn't stand it. I didn't do much -- just a small hit, and then I was fine. If [your doctor] said it will help, believe him."

"Ladies, I smoked weed nearly every single day throughout my entire pregnancy, and it sure got me through it!" wrote Girlie. "We have a bright, alert, strong and happy girl. Our doctor always [remarked], 'Keep doing whatever you're doing -- she's perfect.' Great birth weight, too! Just a little research will show how much safer [marijuana] is than alcohol and most over-the-counter drugs during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Proud smoking mama here, just can't wait 'til it's legal."

"I used [marijuana] during one of my pregnancies," commented Mom of 2. "My kid is super smart, quick, funny, charming and healthier than the one I didn't smoke with."

"When I was pregnant a decade ago, I went through several weeks where I just kept getting sicker and sicker," said Leese from Indiana. "My husband began to worry enough [that] he spoke to someone at work who 'hooked him up' with a joint. I took a hit that evening, and a couple more throughout the next few days. Worked like a charm. I could sleep ... and the nausea disappeared. If you are afraid of smoking, a vaporizer is the best way to inhale, but eating is a mellow experience, if you can eat."

"I smoked when I was pregnant back in 1969, and my child weighed in at 8.5 pounds," wrote Sungirl. "He was put into gifted classes in third grade and has never shown any adverse effects from my having smoked."

"I have an 11-month-old son and went through the same issues," said Amanda. "Zofran, peppermint tea, seabands, EVERYTHING. I actually lost 60 pounds in the first and second trimesters. Marijuana was the only thing that allowed me to move .... I do not live in a medical marijuana state so I took a HUGE risk, but I knew what I was doing was right for my baby and myself."

"I smoked through both pregnancies," wrote Mother of Two. "My kids are fine; they do great in school and are really good kids .... They also make a pill called Marinol that is THC-based [and] is supposed to decrease nausea and increase appetite, but smoking works better."

"I was extremely sick with my first pregnancy, 24/7," said Amie. "It was to the point where I had to go to the ER because I was dehydrated and couldn't even keep ice cubes down. Marijuana helped a lot, and now I have a healthy son who is extremely smart -- almost too smart, lol. It would be worse if you weren't able to gain weight and get proper nutrition to your baby."

"I used a hit of marijuana once a day for my nine-month-long 'morning' sickness," commented Karmadillo. "I found it helped when nothing else did. This was in 1977. Just one case, but my daughter is fine. BTW, Zofran is a drug, is it not? What are the effects of that versus a small amount of an herb that is known to be very safe?"

"I am now 8.5 months pregnant with [baby] number six," wrote JG. "I have been soooo sick throughout this entire pregnancy that I ... lost 60 pounds in the first four months. My OB put me on Phenergan, which is AWFUL. Then my family doc gave me Zofran .... I gave up and started smoking a little in the early AM. Finally I was able to get out of bed -- which I couldn't even do before -- [and] oh yeah: I could EAT again! While my weight loss had been severe, my unborn daughter is doing well; her heart rate is strong, her size is good ... and now we are just waiting on her arrival. I still get sick, so I still toke a little here and there. It has worked so well that I wish I had started smoking a little earlier, when I couldn't do anything but puke. I don't live in a medical MJ state, but after having to have a tooth pulled at eight months [and being] put on narcotic pain pills -- which the OB said were completely OK -- I figured, 'If hydrocodone is OK, why wouldn't MJ be?'"

"I was fortunate enough to live in a place where medical marijuana is legal," said Michelle. "I only smoked when I really needed to, and also vaporized and ate cannabis treats. My son was 11 lbs., 10 oz. at birth, is sharp as a tack, strong as a bull and seems to be developing more rapidly than the norm. Your doctor isn't some silly pothead: Cannabis is a medicine. It has only been illegal in the U.S. since 1937, and it's mostly for racial, political and economic reasons. Don't let that reefer madness scare you into finding relief. Check out this study."

"With my first pregnancy I smoked MJ ... [and] my boy came out ... healthy as a horse," wrote Green Mom of 2. "One thing to ask [your doctor], though: Is he going to have the hospital drug-test you when the baby is born? Lots of hospitals do it now, and you need to be aware if they do, and the laws in [your] state."

"I used during both of my pregnancies," said Julie. "My doctor had offered me pharmaceutical drugs that would have affected my liver as well as the development of the babies' livers. My 17-month-old is amazing, with no adverse effects whatsoever! She has an over 150-word vocabulary, sings, dances and is way ahead of other children her age. Her memory is unbelievable! It is great that your doctor recommended herb, because my midwives illegally drug-tested my urine and threatened to tell my pediatrician of the results because they were "concerned as to the home environment" my baby was going home to!"

Rachel commented, "Zofran -- chemically manmade drug. Cannabis -- made from the earth. Which is more natural, in your opinion?"

"During my first pregnancy, I was hospitalized repeatedly for dehydration due to severe hyperemesis," wrote Holly. "Zofran didn't work. I was so sick that I told my husband it was a good thing we didn't own a gun -- and at that point, I wasn't kidding .... Did I eventually break down and try marijuana? You bet. Did it work? Yes. Do I feel guilty about it? Not a single bit. How are my kids? They have performed above-average on all academic measures thus far, and have no problems focusing. :)"

"I suffered through [morning sickness] with my first baby, but during my second pregnancy, I was working full-time," wrote Theresa Knox. "[After] the third time I stopped on the way to work to vomit on the side of the road, I spoke to my OB/GYN. She said, 'Obviously I can't legally tell you it won't hurt your baby to smoke pot. But it won't hurt your baby to smoke pot, and it's better to smoke the pot than be sick all the time.' [Now] I have a healthy, normal, active, above-average intelligent 13-year-old girl." Note: Knox suggested that readers visit MomsforMarijuana.com.

Ladies, your pro-pot arguments are VERY convincing! Moms, what say you? Is it better to uphold the law, or have a healthy baby?

next: Diary of a 50-Year-Old Bride, Part 3
kasie boyd November 30, 2010, 3:23 PM

A HEALTHY BABY !!! AND i HAVE 2 !! NOTHING WORKED OTHER THAN WEED FOR SICKNESS AND SLEEPLESSNESS …MY SON IS 13 AND AS SMART AS THEY COME AND SO IS MY 4 YR OLD I DIDNT OVER DO IT THOUGH ..I SMOKED RESPONSIBLY !! AND MY KIDS ARE FAR BETTER BEHAVED AND SMARTER THAN MOST !! IN MY OPINION LOL…

TDS November 30, 2010, 4:55 PM

I gotta say, my morning sickness(or all day as I experienced), was so horrible if my Doc recommended the pot I would have done jumped on it. A hit of marijuana can not be any worse than a glass of wine which I know many Docs say is OK.

Jenn November 30, 2010, 5:14 PM

I made it tru 3 pregnancies with 9 months of all day sickness and horrible all day pain since I was having complications and guess what? I used no pot!

You are all making excuses for a reason to do drugs.

Steve November 30, 2010, 5:17 PM

If you think you are woman enough to raise a child you sure should be string enough to handle morning sickness my wife did and nothing helped her but you know, she was willing to put up with it because thats what pregnant woman have done for many centuries.
Pathetic!

momof4 November 30, 2010, 5:31 PM

I smoked mj with my last two babies(for morning sickness only) and they are just fine. I know that there are risks, but aren’t there risks for almost everything?

Melissa November 30, 2010, 5:32 PM

So I think it is just fine to have a little MMj (medical Marijuana) when pregnant as long as it is medical grade, but I do not believe smoking of any kind is ok when pregnant or at all…. I would sugest an edible (medical infused products) or a tincture… the effects last a lot longer with out the horrible smoke!

Jamaise November 30, 2010, 5:44 PM

Can’t be healthy. Period. I was sick my whole first trimester - it’s part of pregnancy.
This article will undoubtedly serve as the justification & reinforcement that some are looking for.

Jamaise November 30, 2010, 5:44 PM

Nessa November 30, 2010, 6:39 PM

I am 25 yrs old from chicago,il with a 6 and 3 yr old and i gave up my 2 yr old for adoption 2 yrs ago.FYI through all 3 of my pregnancies I smoked weed and I still do it now that im not pregnant. Its not bad trust me its not my kids were all healthy and especially beautiful. I dare someone bring this subject to my attention I speak only words of truth.any woman would be dumb not to try it pregnant or not.

Live and let live November 30, 2010, 8:09 PM

to each to own, whos to say what right for another person, weed is a god given plant, cigarettes are legal and have how many added toxins in them?! Genetically altered foods and animals pumped full of hormones are fed to us daily without thought by most, at least weed is natural.

Jeff Prager November 30, 2010, 8:37 PM

If you’ve never smoked pot you can’t possibly make an intellectually sound comment here. It has a minimal effect and is so subtle that if you’re not paying attention it has no effect at all. Drugs and Alcohol on the other hand are seriously debilitating.

Susan November 30, 2010, 8:42 PM

Many things are “natural” or growing in the wild, as some earlier posts mention. Haven’t we learned that natural does not = safe and effective, particularly during pregnancy? I was hospitalized because I could not keep down even a teaspoonful of liquid during my first pregnancy. My child is very bright, but I think that is an effect of having a stable home life with educated, drug-free parents who would not *dream* of exposing their children to rubbish such as this. When your children grow up and hate you for turning them into bums, hey, you can look back at your momlogic posts and tell them how they totally harshed your mellow with that code orange level nausea.

lola November 30, 2010, 8:44 PM

I know it sounds crazy, but I smoked through the first two trimesters to combat my horrifying morning sickness and my daughter, too, is way ahead on her verbal milestones. She isn’t two and the other day she said a 17-word sentence! Maybe there’s something to be said about the benefits of marijuana during pregnancy. The American government blocks research that could be benefiting lives, all for politics. Marijuana is the wonder drug of the future, mark my words.

Crystal November 30, 2010, 10:21 PM

So I have used marijuana to curb nausea during my last pregnancy.. It helped TREMENDOUSLY.. I am currently pregnant and have had no sickness and really no desire to smoke.. What I would like to say is this:

Pharmaceuticals are CONSTANTLY being recalled, lawsuits CONSTANTLY on TV, people becoming ill and dying because of side effects… I have had a friend DIE from side effects.. a grandmother that takes different pharmaceuticals to help ease the side effects of a pharma she is already taking..

Marijuana.. No reported deaths or side effects.(unless you have an allergic reaction but in no way will result in death).. Studies done in a country where it is used by women religiously (Jamaica) showed that the not only were the children born a little more advanced during testing but also were more well adjusted.. and eventually it leveled out to where NO difference could be seen by those who were exposed during pregnancy and those that weren’t.. Can you say that about a child exposed to pharmaceuticals while in the womb.. I think not.. man made chemical poisons or a natural herb no more harmful to an unborn than raspberry leaf..

Just saying!

LoveMyBabies November 30, 2010, 10:30 PM

I agree Jamaise, sickness during pregnancy is part of the deal, marijuana is NOT needed, woman always for many years got through it just fine! If you could not handle your morning sickness you sure the heck cant handle raising a child!

JT November 30, 2010, 10:36 PM

I smoked pot until I found out at 8 weeks that I was pregnant. I stopped smoking through the rest of months 2-5, except for the occasional hit, after doing extensive research, until I developed kidney stones in my 6th month. I was given Percocet, Vicodin, and then when neither of those worked, Morphine. I was hospitalized for a week on a Morphine drip while my daughter was constantly being monitored. I was discharged after a week, but I still passed pieces of stones for the next week, causing me excruciating pain. The pain pills they sent me home with did nothing, so I called up a friend who brought me instant relief in the form of marijuana.

My daughter is now 5 years old, and has been in tip-top health since the day she was born at 7 lbs, 8 oz, and has so far tested above average for her age in school.

JP November 30, 2010, 10:55 PM

First I want to say I am pro legalization of marijuana…however even though I was very ill during both my pregnancies, I did not smoke any nor do anything else cause everything can potentially harm the child. Everything! Why take chances with a person’s life just to make yourself feel better? I don’t think that’s okay and I never will. I put my children first starting with conception and that included not filling my body with anything that could potentially harm them also including excess sugar and caffeine…I do have one comment and that is everyone that I know as an adult that is an ‘airhead’, well coincidentally their mother smoked pot when they were in utero, not kiddin! PS I think all those ‘prescribed’ drugs are just as bad, people need to wake up already!

Paz December 1, 2010, 4:49 AM

omg, some ridiculous statements and conclusions!

How could anyone listen to and take seriously statements like:

“I used [marijuana] during one of my pregnancies,” commented Mom of 2. “My kid is super smart, quick, funny, charming and healthier than the one I didn’t smoke with.”

Smoking anything is unhealthy, full stop. Using a vaporiser or eating it is a hundred times safer. To smoke when pregnant is absolutely crazy. So naive to think otherwise.

(I work in the medical cannabis field)

Do your own research people and use some common sense.

Liz December 1, 2010, 6:50 AM

God’s herb is prevailing!! Have no fear, it is a good thing.

Mom-of-4 December 1, 2010, 7:41 AM

You know, I really hate it when people talk about what’s “right for you” be/c it implies there is no right or wrong - only what’s “right for you.” Not true. And that’s great for all of you that cannot discern any negative effects from smoking your pot while pregnant, but it’s also super irritating that you all are making it sound like it’s the best, most desirable way to have an allegedly above-average child. Also NOT true. I, too had morning and/or all day sickness with my pregnancies, so it’s not like I have no idea how hard it is. If you are considering doing that, consider where to draw the line with what illegal activities you feel are “right for you.” Consider how you talk to your kids about drugs later in life. Do you tell them illegal drugs are bad… except for when you are really sick…or need more energy… or want an escape from reality… or want to have fun and fit in with the crowd? Where is the line?