Pregnant Pot Smokers Sound Off!

Last week, in a post called "Marijuana and Morning Sickness," guest blogger Jessica Katz wrote about how sick she has been throughout her second pregnancy. "It's not morning sickness, it's 24-hours-a-day sickness," she blogged. "Even though I am taking Zofran, I am deathly ill." Jessica was floored when her doctor suggested that she treat her morning sickness with marijuana. "Don't they take your kids away from you if you do drugs while you are pregnant?" she asked. She Googled it, though, and found that many moms had successfully used medical marijuana to treat severe morning sickness. Yet in the end, she decided against trying it herself.

marijuana
Imagine her -- and our -- surprise when dozens of momlogic moms wrote in saying that they themselves had toked during their pregnancies, and that they recommended it ... er, highly. Check it out:

"If I [hadn't smoked] marijuana when I was pregnant with my second child, I would have never eaten," wrote Anonymous. "The smell [and] taste of food made me so sick I couldn't stand it. I didn't do much -- just a small hit, and then I was fine. If [your doctor] said it will help, believe him."

"Ladies, I smoked weed nearly every single day throughout my entire pregnancy, and it sure got me through it!" wrote Girlie. "We have a bright, alert, strong and happy girl. Our doctor always [remarked], 'Keep doing whatever you're doing -- she's perfect.' Great birth weight, too! Just a little research will show how much safer [marijuana] is than alcohol and most over-the-counter drugs during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Proud smoking mama here, just can't wait 'til it's legal."

"I used [marijuana] during one of my pregnancies," commented Mom of 2. "My kid is super smart, quick, funny, charming and healthier than the one I didn't smoke with."

"When I was pregnant a decade ago, I went through several weeks where I just kept getting sicker and sicker," said Leese from Indiana. "My husband began to worry enough [that] he spoke to someone at work who 'hooked him up' with a joint. I took a hit that evening, and a couple more throughout the next few days. Worked like a charm. I could sleep ... and the nausea disappeared. If you are afraid of smoking, a vaporizer is the best way to inhale, but eating is a mellow experience, if you can eat."

"I smoked when I was pregnant back in 1969, and my child weighed in at 8.5 pounds," wrote Sungirl. "He was put into gifted classes in third grade and has never shown any adverse effects from my having smoked."

"I have an 11-month-old son and went through the same issues," said Amanda. "Zofran, peppermint tea, seabands, EVERYTHING. I actually lost 60 pounds in the first and second trimesters. Marijuana was the only thing that allowed me to move .... I do not live in a medical marijuana state so I took a HUGE risk, but I knew what I was doing was right for my baby and myself."

"I smoked through both pregnancies," wrote Mother of Two. "My kids are fine; they do great in school and are really good kids .... They also make a pill called Marinol that is THC-based [and] is supposed to decrease nausea and increase appetite, but smoking works better."

"I was extremely sick with my first pregnancy, 24/7," said Amie. "It was to the point where I had to go to the ER because I was dehydrated and couldn't even keep ice cubes down. Marijuana helped a lot, and now I have a healthy son who is extremely smart -- almost too smart, lol. It would be worse if you weren't able to gain weight and get proper nutrition to your baby."

"I used a hit of marijuana once a day for my nine-month-long 'morning' sickness," commented Karmadillo. "I found it helped when nothing else did. This was in 1977. Just one case, but my daughter is fine. BTW, Zofran is a drug, is it not? What are the effects of that versus a small amount of an herb that is known to be very safe?"

"I am now 8.5 months pregnant with [baby] number six," wrote JG. "I have been soooo sick throughout this entire pregnancy that I ... lost 60 pounds in the first four months. My OB put me on Phenergan, which is AWFUL. Then my family doc gave me Zofran .... I gave up and started smoking a little in the early AM. Finally I was able to get out of bed -- which I couldn't even do before -- [and] oh yeah: I could EAT again! While my weight loss had been severe, my unborn daughter is doing well; her heart rate is strong, her size is good ... and now we are just waiting on her arrival. I still get sick, so I still toke a little here and there. It has worked so well that I wish I had started smoking a little earlier, when I couldn't do anything but puke. I don't live in a medical MJ state, but after having to have a tooth pulled at eight months [and being] put on narcotic pain pills -- which the OB said were completely OK -- I figured, 'If hydrocodone is OK, why wouldn't MJ be?'"

"I was fortunate enough to live in a place where medical marijuana is legal," said Michelle. "I only smoked when I really needed to, and also vaporized and ate cannabis treats. My son was 11 lbs., 10 oz. at birth, is sharp as a tack, strong as a bull and seems to be developing more rapidly than the norm. Your doctor isn't some silly pothead: Cannabis is a medicine. It has only been illegal in the U.S. since 1937, and it's mostly for racial, political and economic reasons. Don't let that reefer madness scare you into finding relief. Check out this study."

"With my first pregnancy I smoked MJ ... [and] my boy came out ... healthy as a horse," wrote Green Mom of 2. "One thing to ask [your doctor], though: Is he going to have the hospital drug-test you when the baby is born? Lots of hospitals do it now, and you need to be aware if they do, and the laws in [your] state."

"I used during both of my pregnancies," said Julie. "My doctor had offered me pharmaceutical drugs that would have affected my liver as well as the development of the babies' livers. My 17-month-old is amazing, with no adverse effects whatsoever! She has an over 150-word vocabulary, sings, dances and is way ahead of other children her age. Her memory is unbelievable! It is great that your doctor recommended herb, because my midwives illegally drug-tested my urine and threatened to tell my pediatrician of the results because they were "concerned as to the home environment" my baby was going home to!"

Rachel commented, "Zofran -- chemically manmade drug. Cannabis -- made from the earth. Which is more natural, in your opinion?"

"During my first pregnancy, I was hospitalized repeatedly for dehydration due to severe hyperemesis," wrote Holly. "Zofran didn't work. I was so sick that I told my husband it was a good thing we didn't own a gun -- and at that point, I wasn't kidding .... Did I eventually break down and try marijuana? You bet. Did it work? Yes. Do I feel guilty about it? Not a single bit. How are my kids? They have performed above-average on all academic measures thus far, and have no problems focusing. :)"

"I suffered through [morning sickness] with my first baby, but during my second pregnancy, I was working full-time," wrote Theresa Knox. "[After] the third time I stopped on the way to work to vomit on the side of the road, I spoke to my OB/GYN. She said, 'Obviously I can't legally tell you it won't hurt your baby to smoke pot. But it won't hurt your baby to smoke pot, and it's better to smoke the pot than be sick all the time.' [Now] I have a healthy, normal, active, above-average intelligent 13-year-old girl." Note: Knox suggested that readers visit MomsforMarijuana.com.

Ladies, your pro-pot arguments are VERY convincing! Moms, what say you? Is it better to uphold the law, or have a healthy baby?

next: Diary of a 50-Year-Old Bride, Part 3
sally December 1, 2010, 7:57 AM

drugs are bad herbs are not drugs

sally December 1, 2010, 7:57 AM

drugs are bad herbs are not drugs

marie December 1, 2010, 8:01 AM

I was on bedrest for 2 pregnancies and was deathly sickk. Never ate and vomitted all day and night. Smoking weed was the only thing that helped. BUT they will test u for it when u give birth and even though my doctor told me to do so, they opened a CPS case because I was positive. So it is a great help but there can be severe consequences. But I wouldn’t have made it through without smoking.and everthing turned out fine they understood why and dropped my case! My daughters are beautiful and extremly smart my first daughter was walking and talking at nine months old!!!

angelacatana December 1, 2010, 8:06 AM

I smoked my entire pregnancy for the “all day long sickness” otherwise i would loose at least a pound a week, never slept, never ate (there was even a time when i threw up stomach acid so often i didnt eat for three days) and was more than legally bitchy to the my husband and two year old boy. I never smoked durning my first pregnancy but was too depressed to care about anything anyway (maybe i should have smoked then too!). of course every pregnancy is different, but my baby girl is super healthy, i think thanks Mary Jane.

Smart mother December 1, 2010, 9:11 AM

Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s safe. Is poison oak safe, what about wild mushrooms? A rattle snake is natural but I don’t go petting one. Just because you can’t see the effects at first doesn’t mean it isn’t harming your body.

brownie2010 December 1, 2010, 9:49 AM

I smoked marijuana with both of my pregnancies. I quit smoking cigarettes, didn’t smoke, took most of my prenatal vitamins, and was otherwise “by the book”. I had alot of health problemswith my second pregnancy and even went off of most of my regular prescruibed medicines. Mt gynocoligist knew that I was smoking,I was honest upfront about everything with my gynocolgist, as I encourage every pregnant woman to do, even if you think they wont understand, they will.

Ally December 1, 2010, 10:10 AM

Being deathly ill with morning sickness sounds like hyperenemsis gravidarium!!! Make sure you educate yourself on that if you are seriously sick all the time.

My sister about died from morning sickness and it turns out she has ACUTE INTERMITTENT PORPHYRIA, a rare metabolic disease. She thought she had hypernemesis gravidarium, but she really had AIP.

With HG, smoking pot is normal. BUt with AIP, smoking pot can trigger attacks.

Just saying…. educate yourselves before doing anything! :))

Elizabeth December 1, 2010, 11:25 AM

I’m thrilled to hear pregnant women are using a medicinal herb provided to us by Mother Earth. Morning sickness will be gone and I promise you will have a nice calm baby. A calm mother makes a calm baby.

There are NO tests saying it causes cancer, birth defects, NOTHING! Alcohol is what should be illegal! Men beat women when they drink, not smoke pot.

I’M VERY HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!

Jenifer Valley December 1, 2010, 11:32 AM

I did not know that I had cancer when I got pregnant, but I had lived with it for at least 9 years before the first pregnancy and 11 years before the second. I do not believe I would have survived either pregnancy without marijuana. I did try to quit during my second pregnancy, but went from 98 pounds to 92 pounds and felt that the weight loss was a bigger threat to the survival of my child than the marijuana use.

MrsB December 1, 2010, 11:51 AM

My first trimester I had the most annoying morning sickness and wouldn’t have been able to handle the smell of MJ. Thereafter, I did find it helped w/migraines and later, with my hips. Toward the last trimester, MJ was quite helpful in alleviating hip and joint pains I was experiencing. Since that time, years later, I found that MJ has helped with sciatica, plantar faciitis and migraines. I believe in the medicinal benefits of MJ in relieving some conditions, having experienced its benefits firsthand.

Mama December 1, 2010, 12:50 PM

I had extreme morning/24 hr a day sickness with all 3 pregnancies..I was given Zofran,Phenegran and Reglan to start off.I was in the ER 3 times for dehydration.I wound up smoking pot because I couldn’t handle the side effects of the meds. I’m glad I did, it made my days bearable and able to eat to nourish the growing child inside of me.My kids were all born healthy and weighed over 7 pounds..My boy was 8lbs 12ozs. Wouldn’t change a thing.

Erin December 1, 2010, 1:08 PM

I am on my third child right now and smoke regularly, why because I lost 60 lbs with my last child due to morning sickness and was showing signs of doing it again. I still have morning sickness, every morning, but that’s it very rarely does it last all day (I work so I don’t smoke while working). I don’t feel like a bad mom I talked to my doctor about it and she said that its better than the pills she gave me BC it has less side effects, it has less side effects then a proven safe for pregnancy pill… Think about that!!

mImI23 December 1, 2010, 3:00 PM

I never heard of this but think it’s bad enough so many teens brag on facebook about smoking pot. I got plenty sick when pregnant with daughter and she was 8lbs 9oz and also doing very well in school and I didn’t get stoned to cope. Sounds like a lot of addicts looking for an excuse to not get a damn about anyone but themselves.

JLO December 1, 2010, 4:20 PM

mImI23, you said it!!!! A bunch of weak women using a little sickness as an excuse to do their drugs! Pathetic isnt it?

Anonymous December 2, 2010, 7:02 AM

i come from a zero tolerance state, and have been against “drugs” my whole life. i’ve seen even what MARIJUANA can do to a person who abuses it. i personally think smoking anything is wrong during pregnancy. while i was blessed with little to no morning sickness, i’ve had friends who got so sick they couldn’t get off the couch for months. what did they do? NOTHING. they dealt with it like us women should. who are blessed with giving life to this world.

my two cents: don’t smoke while you are pregnant. just because you had one healthy baby doesn’t mean somewhere else someone is having a baby that will later develop a learning disability or something of the sort.

Gabrielle December 2, 2010, 7:15 AM

Now that would have made my pregnany with my twin daughters much more fun.

whitney December 3, 2010, 8:30 AM

i am totally for smoking pot i quit when i was pregnant with my kids because i thought it was bad for them. If i would have known my second pregnancy was horrible i couldn’t eat anything and i had horribles stretching pain. I see how smoking would have helped. I wish i would have done it for that one maybe my son wouldn’t be so energized all the time!lol! I think smoking is ok i am a stay at home mom and it is so stressful that sometimes i need to mellow out. So i say good for you to all those moms i know how you feel

Concerned Mother December 4, 2010, 3:08 PM

Any doctor that would suggest that a woman should smoke pot while pregnant to relieve morning sickness should have their license revoked, and should be prosecuted for child abuse along with the mother! Thousands of babies are born addicted to illegal drugs every day, and for those who survive, they have to go through extreme physical withdrawal. If a woman can’t handle morning sickness, even if it is 24/7, then maybe she should think twice about getting pregnant. In my opinion, morning sickness is the least of the worries of a pregnant woman. And yes, I had severe “morning sickness”, which ended up being gall stones and resulted in surgery, so I know how bad morning sickness can get, but I would NEVER subject my unborn baby to the health risks of smoking pot, no matter how sick I was!

Concerned Mom December 4, 2010, 3:17 PM

To “Mom-of-4” (December 1, 2010, 7:41 a.m.):

WELL SAID!

Christy December 5, 2010, 9:21 PM

The idea of smoking an illegal drug while pregnant is absolutely ridiculous. You should be ashamed.