Nine Reasons Women Need to Vote This Election Day

Anea Bogue, a mother of two and self-esteem expert for women of all ages, shares nine reasons why women must vote tomorrow.

woman voting
Anea Bogue: Recent New York Times and CNN polls are suggesting that fewer women than usual will turn out to vote in the Nov. 2 midterm elections,in large part due to their frustration.To be frank, I am more than disappointed. I'm also alarmed.

Let's get out and prove the pollsters wrong!

In light of the fact that I have dedicated my career to helping guide girls and women to find and use their voices, the mere thought that any of us would not exercise our hard-earned right to vote makes me crazy. Simply stated: Men's voices are not women's voices, and thus [men] cannot speak for everyone.

In spite of the fact that religion, psychology and politics (and seemingly, the rest of life) have operated for the last few thousand years on the assumption that the perspective and experience of men enables them to effectively speak for all human beings, that is simply not the case. Men and women [each] offer a valuable, but different, perspective, wisdom and experience. Still, women's voices are often considered inferior and even insignificant.

Ninety years after the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote in this country, we find ourselves having made great strides toward equality between men and women, but there still exists a gap that must be closed.

Women make up approximately 51 percent of the population, yet only 73 of the 435 seats in the House, 17 of the 100 Senate seats and six gubernatorial offices are held by women. These numbers simultaneously represent progress and the great distance that must still be travelled, one vote at a time.

So ladies, why do we need to get out and vote?

1.Because we can. For more than a century, our great grandmothers and their sisters fought to claim this fundamental right as citizens. They did so because they recognized that, as Susan B. Anthony put it, "There will never be complete equality until women themselves help to make laws and elect lawmakers."

2. Because we know that it matters not only to our future, but [to the future] of our children. Whether it's the economy, education, healthcare reform, the environment or women's reproductive rights and freedoms, we must become fiercely active in ensuring that our children live in a country that enables them to reach their highest potential. If we don't, who will?

3. Because more women than ever are running for office. Multitasking opportunity, ladies? Exercise your right to vote and put more women in office. We can make a difference.

4. Because we need to ensure that candidates who don't best represent us do not get elected. If a candidate, male or female, is not prepared to fight for equality for women in all aspects of life, your vote for someone who does [will protect] the progress we have made thus far.

5. Because key women's issues are at stake. Opposition to women's reproductive rights and freedoms? Repealing no-fault divorce? These are fundamental issues to women's health, safety and freedom. Republican candidates such as Carly Fiorina, who said she would support a reversal of Roe v. Wade, and Michael Baumgartner, who supports the repeal of no-fault divorce, put women at risk. Your vote counts in protecting yourself and all women.

6. Because our daughters are watching. When I ask teen girls to name the most powerful woman they can think of, their most common answer is "I don't know." Let's put more women in positions of power so our daughters view this as part of their reality and something they themselves can aspire to achieve.

7. Because no one understands the needs of our children like we do. It is certainly worth taking a few minutes searching the Internet to familiarize yourself with the tremendous platforms of many of the women currently running for office. Most of them include a commitment to improved education, school nutrition programs, healthcare reform and hunger-free children. Your vote is crucial to making these issues the priorities they deserve to be.

8. Because we have firsthand experience with discrimination, and therefore must accept our obligation to champion the rights of others. Voting for candidates who are committed to abolishing discriminatory laws and creating or supporting legislation that provides equality for all is our unquestioned responsibility.

9. Because sitting on the sidelines will not teach our daughters the importance of their role as women. Let's embrace our power, wisdom and unique perspective, so our daughters are guided to do the same. As their primary role model, isn't it essential that we exercise our hard-earned right to vote, so our daughters will one day embrace their responsibility in the democratic process?

To learn more about Anea, please visit AneaBogue.com.

next: Win $250 at HomeGoods and Create Your Own Mom Cave
lyme disease April 1, 2011, 5:46 PM

I can’t figure out how to subscribe to the comments via feedburner. I want to keep up to date on this, how do I do that?

Darlene Drugan April 1, 2011, 8:42 PM

I simply could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information an individual provide to your guests? Is gonna be back frequently to check out new posts

Greenenergydude April 1, 2011, 10:11 PM

Your website theme looks great. What layout did you utilize?

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 3:21 AM

I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

Custom Dirt Bike Graphics April 2, 2011, 12:07 PM

Exctly what I was searching for! thnks so much for Posting the info. I googled for a long time and found a bunch of unhlpful info, before I found this. Thanks! Mike

Evia Enger April 2, 2011, 9:03 PM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind

Springville Carpet Cleaner April 2, 2011, 10:08 PM

Just what I was looking for! Thanks so much for Listing the info. I looked for forever and found a bunch of unhlpful information, before I found this. Thanks! Dan

Lorina Marcelle April 3, 2011, 8:31 AM

hundred seventy

used cars in columbus ohio April 3, 2011, 2:34 PM

As soon as I detected this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

Fatburner bestellen April 4, 2011, 7:15 AM

Grüß Gott! Schöner Newsblog! wissen

credit card debt April 4, 2011, 8:07 AM

Hey, I simply hopped over on your website online by means of StumbleUpon. No longer something I’d normally learn, however I preferred your emotions none the less. Thanks for making something worth reading.

employment application template April 4, 2011, 11:25 AM

You got a very wonderful website, Glad I found it through yahoo.

rankpay April 4, 2011, 12:12 PM

¡Gran poste! Gracias por tardar la época de escribir algo que está realmente digno de la lectura. Encuentro demasiado a menudo el Info inútil y no algo que es realmente relevante. Gracias por su trabajo duro.

Roofing Philadelphia April 4, 2011, 4:02 PM

This website is pretty good. How was it made !

Shelba Henley April 4, 2011, 4:32 PM

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you really know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally visit my site =). We could have a hyperlink trade agreement between us!

Torri Benvenuto April 4, 2011, 9:30 PM

if you flip each bit in the

Todd O. Corbett April 5, 2011, 7:15 AM

Hello, - found this internet page inadvertently while wandering across the net this morning, and delighted that I did! I do like the page structure and different shades, but I have to mention that I’m having difficulty when it loads. I’m making use of Lynx 2.6 web browser for mac, and the menu block wouldn’t line up nicely. i am pretty sure made use of precisely the same design on a client’s site, but the menu seems okay on mine. I have an idea the error is at my end & I guess it’s the perfect time to upgrade!

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 8:02 AM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

Some really interesting points you have written. Assisted me a lot, just what I was looking for : D.

nokia n900 April 5, 2011, 12:50 PM

Hey buddy, %BLOGTITLE%, really?? Have you ever heard about SEO? Your title should contain your main keywords, I don’t think %BLOGTITLE% is a good title. You should think a little bit about it if you want to be found on Google.